Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2020, 06:27 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickandBecky View Post
How difficult is it to swap out the stock stems that came on my Jayco fifth wheel for metal stems? My local tire shop that has been in business here for 50 years said my “high pressure” stems would be fine with the add-on monitors. I purchased the flow-through from TST, so was thinking of putting in metal stems just to be safe. Thanks!

Not difficult. You don't even have to dismount the tire.
De-seat the bead on the side with the valve.
Remove old valve
Install bolt in valve
Re-inflate.

No re=balance needed either.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:36 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Not difficult. You don't even have to dismount the tire.
De-seat the bead on the side with the valve.
Remove old valve
Install bolt in valve
Re-inflate.

No re=balance needed either.

Well, don’t know about him guaranteeing it. I just asked his advice and showed him the TST screw on monitors, so I wouldn’t hold him to any sort of guarantee—that wasn’t part of our conversation. I have Goodyear Endurance tires (16”), so no there’s no problem unseating the bead and re-seating it properly? Never have done that myself. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2020, 08:53 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickandBecky View Post
Well, don’t know about him guaranteeing it. I just asked his advice and showed him the TST screw on monitors, so I wouldn’t hold him to any sort of guarantee—that wasn’t part of our conversation. I have Goodyear Endurance tires (16”), so no there’s no problem unseating the bead and re-seating it properly? Never have done that myself. Thanks!

Yes you can un-seat the bead yourself (assuming you are mechanically inclined) Harbor Freight has the tool. https://www.harborfreight.com/bead-breaker-92961.html

But I would think it better to pay the dealer to do the work.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:23 AM   #44

Tireman,

Can you share a link to your blog? Thank you!

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:05 AM   #45

Tireman9, would you please add the link to your video on the valve stem failure? I could not find it in the “blog” Thanks.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:24 AM   #46

Tireminder

I have been using the TM I10 for two months and over 5,000 miles and it works great for my C- class RV.. You can monitor up too 20 tires and you can see up to 12 tires at a glance without pushing the buttons
BAMScuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:13 AM   #47

Sorry but the administrators do not allow me to post links to my blog here. To do so will get me banned. Hopefully giving you that suggestion will not get me banned. If I dissapear you will know why.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:47 AM   #48

Newbie question on tire monitor system

I just read someone’s post about which systems is recommended. It seemed everyone responding had a travel trailer so is the system used on class C also?

Just purchased a 2018 Jayco Redhawk which we will pick up next week so we are trying to read up on everything we need to get.
Brunilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:02 PM   #49

I have towed my Jeep JK about 30,000 miles with the RVi “Tire Patrol” sensors on the stems. I am not sure if the stems were changed the last time tires were put on. I just noticed some slight cracking around the base of the stems.

For $65 I had four new stems installed and rotated the tires. Well worth the price for peace of mind.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:12 PM   #50

tire minder

I use Tire Minder and never have a problem. Just make sure your batteries are up to date.
mcwoods2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:00 AM   #51

I bought this set and like them: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085C2HMQP/

They also sent me a free monitor for my spare tire as part of a in-box promotion.
kyleebrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:24 PM   #52

TST System and rubber body valves

I purchase a TST system and it worked fairly well. The only blow out I've had so far was a tire with a rubber valve stem. It appears when I bought the Jayco 36 KPTS it had already had a blowout in transit to the dealer. It was replaced, but with a rubber schrader valve. My suggestion is metal valve stems only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
I've thought about getting a monitoring system but my concern is mounting them on rubber stems and how the extra weight will stress the stem during acceleration and braking. Anyone have any comments in this concern?
Jxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:10 AM   #53

I purchased the cheap amazon 30.00 unit 2 years 12k miles ago. Works great no issues. Gives great reading cold and follows the pressure as they heat up.
tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:15 PM   #54

I’m a little late to this party but I tried the Tire Minder system for two years. I spent over $600 all told for sensors for my dually, trailer, and the booster. I wanted a system with a phone app. I already have RV GPS, phone, and backup camera monitor on the dash. I didn’t want another device up there. It was originally on my travel trailer and then I moved it to my North Point.

The sensor caps are very thin plastic. They crack and leak routinely. I ended up replacing 5 or 6 of the 10 sensors. Some were done under warranty and some I bought replacements for. Then I bought another two pack to have as spares. All told I paid for 14 sensors. I eventually gave up. Yes they replace them under warranty but you have to send yours back and wait for replacements. It’s not worth it.

A year ago I switched to the pressure pro system. The caps are much sturdier and I haven’t had any problems with it. I don’t need a booster and don’t have any problems with signal.

I will say to get metal valve stems. I had been reading about rubber stem failures for some time and had planned to switch them out before our last trip. I didn’t have time and ended up with a flat three days into our 21 day trip. The valve stem gave out. Luckily the sensor alerted me to the issue and I was able to pull over. I had them all swapped to metal on my trip. This was aggravation I could have saved myself had I done it sooner.

Now it did take two years of having screw on sensors for one to fail but I feel it was inevitable. One year the tire minder caps and one year with the pressure pro caps.

If anyone wants the pile of tire minder crap
I have, you can have it for free. Just pay shipping.

Here is a pic of the failed valve stem. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1014.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	62341

Tow Rig: 2015 Ford F-450 Platinum, airbags, B&W Companion hitch for factory puck system.
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:17 PM   #55

First trip with TM- 77

I too have posted about tire pressure monitor systems. After much consideration I went with the TM-77. Just got back from my first tow with them. Great peace of mind! And, fascinating to see how much more heat built up in the tires on the "sunny" side of the road. It also told me that I'm probably not towing level as the heat and pressures built up more in the rear tires of the double axel 5th wheel.
SoonerCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:09 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCamper View Post
I too have posted about tire pressure monitor systems. After much consideration I went with the TM-77. Just got back from my first tow with them. Great peace of mind! And, fascinating to see how much more heat built up in the tires on the "sunny" side of the road. It also told me that I'm probably not towing level as the heat and pressures built up more in the rear tires of the double axel 5th wheel.

While getting the actual load for each tire position is best, I know that is hard to do. However getting the actual load on each axle is relatively easy at almost any truck stop scale.
While tire temperature can indicate un-balanced loading scale reading are better.

wondering what your colt tire pressure is on the 5th wheel.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:12 AM   #57

Send a message via AIM to 2KOOL4U Send a message via Skype™ to 2KOOL4U
Tire pressure

When I bought my first RV I did not pay attention to tire pressure until I read an article in Motorhome Magazine on how important checking pressures was. I went and bought a good gauge and realized I was traveling around the country on 50 Lbs instead of 110. From that time on I check before each trip.

My main reason for replying to the tire pressure post, was I bought a new Jayco Class A and realized the inside rear tires do not have the valve stems sticking out for me to either add air or check it. I now need to bring my rig to someone to remove the outer tires in order to add attachments.
2KOOL4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:24 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KOOL4U View Post
When I bought my first RV I did not pay attention to tire pressure until I read an article in Motorhome Magazine on how important checking pressures was. I went and bought a good gauge and realized I was traveling around the country on 50 Lbs instead of 110. From that time on I check before each trip.

My main reason for replying to the tire pressure post, was I bought a new Jayco Class A and realized the inside rear tires do not have the valve stems sticking out for me to either add air or check it. I now need to bring my rig to someone to remove the outer tires in order to add attachments.
NO you do not need to remove the outer tire to check tire pressure. You just need a "Dual Foot" pressure gauge.

I am currently doing a comparison of a dozen different tire gauges

This is what they look like
Old 08-18-2020, 02:28 PM   #59

I went with the TST system two years ago and am pretty pleased with it. To me it was worth it due to the peace of mind...then again, I'm also one who has a mounted spare under the bed, as I would catch holy hell from the boss if we were stuck somewhere waiting for hours.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:48 PM   #60

I'm told that unit TPMS-APP-4, the smart one, does show all 4 at one time. You might have it in a scroll mode. That was a stipulation for me too was seeing all 4 at one time displaying psi and temp.
Genr8rs is offline   Reply With Quote