Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2020, 12:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinokid View Post
Researching for a set of 4 tire monitors. There's a large spread on prices, from the low $30's, to the $300's. Want to make sure I get a good reliable brand, but not sure if in this case if cheaper is just as good as the more expensive ones. As the saying goes, got alot riding on those tires.
Tire safeguard. No antenna extension necessary. It’s what the truckers use. Had it on 2 RV’s, I highly recommend it. It saved my but once while towing my toad I hit something in the roadway it went right off sounding an alarm and red flashing light!

Tech support is a one man show in CA but he gets back to you. You can also buy direct and have him configure it for you. Call Deon at tire safeguard 1 (818) 400-9976 or order on Amazon.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:31 PM   #22

Another vote for TST. probably 6K miles. Orig rubber stems too. No problems (so far)!

davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:48 PM   #23

I bought TST. Their great! Bought 8 sensors... 4 for truck... 4 for 5th wheel. That way it’s all in one place and better than the OE sensors.
Bbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:23 PM   #24

I have a TST monitoring system on my Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS and have had no problems with it. Monitor easily connects to windshield where I can check tire pressure and temperature whenever I need to. They attach early but have to use a special tool to remove. Cody was slightly one $300 but much cheaper than the damage that wold be sustained to 5ver if true blew.
Anazeteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:27 PM   #25

I had, since we couldn't afford 4 new tires on our 5er, for peace of mind researched and decided on the TireMinder TPMS TLR-4. The smaller unit with 4 sensors so I could at least be aware and monitor the 6 yr old 1/2 tread tires.
Short story, had a blowout at 60 mph, immediate alarm and response. Changed out and on our way. Best $148 I have ever spent. Saved probably a lot of damage I was told by the tire store.
Jumping forward, now we have another long trip planned and are going to buy 4 new 10 ply tires and replace the old 8 ply. Not only does the load rating go from a D to an E but the tire psi goes up from 65 to 80 psi. The original TireMinder I had bought for the previous trip was rated to 70 psi.
I contacted Tire Minder and they take trade ins for an upgrade! I thought I was going be out my initial purchase price just to pay again for a upgraded unit. Kyle at TireMinder said if I included my receipt for the one I bought and used on our 1st trip, they would allow the price I paid towards a new unit, PLUS! price match the lowest price I find on the internet for the unit I upgrade to no matter the site! I only pay the dif. Plus a free battery program. Fantastic. In a heart beat I jumped on it.
Anyone running TireMinder units who wants to upgrade should consider this program. I did my research of models and Kyle was excellent to work with and help sort out each models features and what I actually wanted the unit to do and display.
Genr8rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:31 PM   #26

I'm relatively new to pulling a trailer and I was wondering if you just have sensors in your trailer or in your truck as well? I called Costco and they said they could only sell and install a unit for just my truck, not the trailer. I'd like both monitored if possible.
Stan&Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:37 PM   #27

Looks like I'm the odd man out. I have been using EEZ Tire for the past three years. I have sensors on my PU and trailer. Never had a problem and works as advertised. I have metal valve stems on all 8 tires.

It's amazing to see how hot the tires get driving in the Arizona heat. After parking in the sun for an hour the tires on the sun side showed 130 degrees. Dropped to around 120 once we started driving. The high temp warning is set for 158 degrees as default.

https://eezrvproducts.com/eezrv-tpms-info

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:44 PM   #28

I just installed the TireMinder Smart TPMS with 4 Transmitters ($280-300 off Amazon)... fairly easy install, and easy to use App. However, only shoes one tire status at a time via the smart phone App.
Thought I would like this better than having another small monitor in my dash....already have the Garmin GPS screen, so thought using iphone and app would eliminate having to have the more expensive version that comes w/ separate screen monitor.

Would prefer to see the status of all four tires at same time like my RAM 3500 integrated truck tire monitor does, but this version doesn’t...however, it will still alert and indicate a specific tire problem if there is one. Guess I just need to get used to it.
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:16 PM   #29

EEZ tireminders here ... no problems and excellent customer support!
Old 08-08-2020, 02:17 PM   #30

x2 on the EEZ RV system. 4yrs, 10 sensors (pickup/trailer/trailer). All rubber stems. Great system.
papa10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:18 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
My TireMinder has served me very well and has alerted me to 2 dramatic tire failures and I credit the TM with alerting me quick enough to prevent any collateral damage. IMHO it’s been well worth its price.
TM and TST are both popular and I expect neither would disappoint.
We have had the TST system for about 3 months now and it works well. First week after installing on our fifth wheel, I had checked the tires the evening before we were to leave early the next morning on a trip—all were fine. Next morning, as we were literally pulling onto our driveway from our RV port, the alarm went off! I thought, “no way”. But, got out and checked and found a roofing nail in the sidewall of the tire that had set off the alarm. It hade dropped 20#’s overnight! Had to go buy a new tire, but sure beat having a blowout on the highway! Highly recommend this system.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:21 PM   #32

If you don’t already have sensors in your truck, the TST system will support multiple vehicles and trailers (each has to have it’s own sensors added). One monitor will watch all of your tires. TST monitors pressure and temperature of each tire individually.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:18 PM   #33

I'm told it will show all 4 like the picture of a smart phone in the app description. Maybe a setting issue. Call them.
Genr8rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:28 PM   #34

A couple issues here. Valve Stems.
In general all stems have some metal part as that is needed for the threads (internal for the valve core and external for the valve cap to screw on) As I have shown in my blog post of July 3, I show how far the brass extends in the basic "snap-in" rubber valve stems like the TR413 and how far the brass extends in the "High Pressure" snap-in valve stems like the HP500 They both are "Rubber and metal".

The other type of valve stem is a metal bolt in stem such as the TR416.

In my June 4 blog post I show that both the 413 and HP500 can bend while the TR416 does not. It is the cycling of the bending that can eventually result in a failure of the hP500 style stem and I show a video of such a failure.

While it is possible for both the TR413 and the HP 500 to function with a TPMS on their end and not fail right away. The question is how long can you run with the rubber flexing before it fails?
Old 08-08-2020, 04:59 PM   #35

Better TPMS?

Lots of opinions on which brand works and which does not or which is better seems to be based on "I have system XYZ and it works so it is clearly the best"
When we are asked about almost anything which is better it is very unusual for someone to say "I have part ABC but part XZZ is better" I believe it's human nature to believe the part they selected is a good part as they are unlikely to select a bad part.

I heard no one say "I did a direct comparison of TPMS ABC vs TPMS XZZ." I have not seen anyone present actual data.

BUT I have run a direct comparison of two different brand TPMS TST vs TireTraker. Starting in March 2018. I did both Pressure accuracy test and temperature comparison on a "test bench" and I then ran both systems at the same time for over a year on my motorhome.
Bottom line is they give essentially the same results so for performance. The temperature reading for internal sensor runs about 20F to 30F hotter than the external sensors but this is expected.
I published the data in a number of blog posts over the year I conducted the direct comparison.

If someone else has or is running a direct comparison I would definitely be interested in seeing the data.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:09 PM   #36

Send a message via AIM to 2KOOL4U Send a message via Skype™ to 2KOOL4U
I've purchased 2 systems. The caps eventually while off.They cost $50 each To replace. Just get a really good gauge and every time you go someplace Check them with a good pressure gauge.The hell with those pressure monitors
2KOOL4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:23 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Lori View Post
I'm relatively new to pulling a trailer and I was wondering if you just have sensors in your trailer or in your truck as well? I called Costco and they said they could only sell and install a unit for just my truck, not the trailer. I'd like both monitored if possible.
TST is set up to monitor both vehicle and trailer.
As it is scanning through the tire pressures, it will still alert you on other tires.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:23 PM   #38

TST here too. I wasn't interested in a TPMS until TT lost a tire.
The heat indicator is great because multiple issues can cause a hot tire.
I got the one with six transmitters, use four for TT, two on my boat trailer.
I swap out sensors if pulling another trailer.
You only need metal valve stems if you get the 'flow through' sensors.
Works ok at 50'+ without the signal booster. With the signal booster, range seemed to be close to 100 yards or so. Wife was pulling boat, when she went out of view the sensors lost contact.
So far, so good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KOOL4U View Post
I've purchased 2 systems. The caps eventually while off.They cost $50 each To replace. Just get a really good gauge and every time you go someplace Check them with a good pressure gauge.The hell with those pressure monitors

OK The little caps can give visual warning of low pressure. ( I have evaluates such a system)

BUT They don't do a very good job of letting you know your tire is losing air while driving down the road. About all they can do is tell you your tire lost air last night while parked.
$50 seems a bit still for such a system. I thought the valve cap warning systems were less expensive.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:23 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Use all metal stems. No more problems.
How difficult is it to swap out the stock stems that came on my Jayco fifth wheel for metal stems? My local tire shop that has been in business here for 50 years said my “high pressure” stems would be fine with the add-on monitors. I purchased the flow-through from TST, so was thinking of putting in metal stems just to be safe. Thanks!