Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-30-2011, 10:42 PM   #21

Maxxis are well regarded. I have them on my Jayflight and am satisfied with them.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #22

Have checked with a local tire shop that I have dealt with before for auto tires. They recommend Carlisle 235/80R16 upgraded from load range D to range E. They normally do not stock Maxxis, but can get on special order. Prices are about the same. Does anyone have experience with Carlisles ?
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #23
Site Team

Maxxis, no question have a better reputation among people I know.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #24

I have stopped to help folks with Carlisle
Blow outs. I have seen trailer damage from Carlisle
Blow outs. I know of no one who tows a trailer
That recommends Carlisle. I use LT tires with
a highway rib. Never a problem. They were OEM
Up until 2002

2003 Designer Legacy 3590RLTS
2011 Bullet 215RBS - Sold
2010 F250SD PSD SRW CC SB
Timbrens, Rand McNally 7710RVND and
Pullrite SuperGlide 2700.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #25

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie23 View Post
Checked marathon tire date code, and its 0704, which should translate to manufacture in February 2004. So I will take y'alls advice and replace them before going out next spring. Would like to hear some opinions as to experiences with various brands, good or bad, and any recommendations you may have.

Thanks so much !
I would highly recommend that you stay away from Chinese built tires no matter who's brand is on the tire. I replaced all of my tires last year after the travel season had ended for us. I had a tire failure in Indiana on the way home so I thought it was time to replace every thing. A large local tire distributor who up until then I trusted suggested that I replace with BCT tires that they claimed that they had no comebacks on. After putting them on I began to read different accounts of premature tire failures on trailers that were Chinese built. I bought a set of tire minders (sensors) that told tire pressure as well as temperature. We left Md. on a Western trip this July. We blew the first tire in Wyoming with absolutely no warning. Tire pressure was 65 psi and 85 degrees when she went. Blew the second one in Nebraska on the way home in exactly same manner. These were structural tire failures, not cut down tires. I would strongly recommend that you dictate only American built tires. The tires that we took off were Good Year that served us well. I also have a 15000 lb. dump trailer that has Carlisle on it with no issues.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #26

OK - thanks everyone for weighing in. Majority of you seem to recommend Maxxis. My dealer can order Maxxis, but says they are made in USA. Elsewhere on the internet, I have seen reference to Maxxis being made in Thailand. Can anyone clear up this discrepancy for me ? And I also see a number of folks on the internet putting in a good word for Denman. Does anyone know if this is the same Denman that sold out to Titan a while back, or is there another Denman company out there ? They were supposedly made in USA, I have heard, but may not be made anymore ?? Thanks for any info you can provide.
Retired at last !

Old 12-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie23 View Post
Have checked with a local tire shop that I have dealt with before for auto tires. They recommend Carlisle 235/80R16 upgraded from load range D to range E. They normally do not stock Maxxis, but can get on special order. Prices are about the same. Does anyone have experience with Carlisles ?
Any shop will recommend the brands they carry over anything else... Carlisle are the lowest of the low end...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #28

My Maxxis were made in Thailand. I don't think any Maxxis are made in the USA. I'd check on their web site, tho.

I'd go with Maxxis (and did) over Carlisle even if they cost more.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:15 PM   #29

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
I have stopped to help folks with Carlisle
Blow outs. I have seen trailer damage from Carlisle
Blow outs. I know of no one who tows a trailer
That recommends Carlisle. I use LT tires with
a highway rib. Never a problem. They were OEM
Up until 2002
You might be interested in this link about ST versus LT Tires I only use ST tires and they are marathons to boot. Never had a problem on several different 5ivers and TT's
Mel
Click here
https://www.rvbloggersonline.blogspot.com
MHbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHbell View Post
You might be interested in this link about ST versus LT Tires I only use ST tires and they are marathons to boot. Never had a problem on several different 5ivers and TT's
Mel
Click here
I have also read info from a tire maker, that ST tire sidewalls are designed to stand up to the sideways forces you get when turning a corner with tandem axles, and that LT and P tires don't have that feature. Just another angle on this whole controversial question.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
I have also read info from a tire maker, that ST tire sidewalls are designed to stand up to the sideways forces you get when turning a corner with tandem axles, and that LT and P tires don't have that feature. Just another angle on this whole controversial question.
That is very true. I read another article about dual tires and dual or triple axles called "Tire Safety What you may not know!" Here is the link Click Here
Mel
https://www.rvbloggersonline.blogspot.com
MHbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #32

One of the links in a link referred to an easy way to see if a tire is over or under inflated. Draw a heavy chalk line across the tread of the tire. Roll a short distance on smooth pavement and watch how the chalk wears off. If it wears off on the outside first, it's underinflated. If the center wears off first, it's over inflated. It would take a little trial and error (or possibly a lot) to get figure out the inflation pressures on each tire but it could be easier than having to weight each tire and refer to a chart. Even if using a chart, it would be a good quick check.

Btw, both tires on an axle should be the same inflation pressure, using the higher pressure rating. If uneven wear is a concern, rotate them periodically.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #33
Site Team

I know that some manufacturers equipped fifth wheels with LT tires as OE. I had them on my last rig and had no more problems than with ST's.

I am sure that the increased failure rate of trailer tires is a combo of sitting without being used and being to close or over the tire rating. Cheap manufacturing and raw materials also contribute. If you are holding out for USA ST's, you won't have to do much research to find there is not much to choose from.

There will always be road hazard failures, no matter what you use.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #34

I agree with you norty1 about long periods of sitting and being loaded to near max capacity. I do check my tire pressure monthly to make sure they are always at rated inflation. My Designer tires are loaded to 3,000 lbs each (I weighed the rig) and they are rated at 3,420. I also wonder how many tire failures are on the right side from the tires being pulled over curbs and damaged or how many failures are on the rear tires. Every tire failure I have ever had on a tandem trailer has been on a rear tire. Maybe the front tire runs over something kicking it up and the back tire catches it? And don't forget ST tires are speed rated at 65. I'm sure not all of the trailers I see going down the interstates passing me have LT tires?

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #35

Have checked as suggested with Maxxis, and they say all their trailer tires are indeed made in a "state of the art" factory in Thailand. Also went to the link suggested by Mel, which is very informative about ST vs LT. Want you all to know that I really appreciate everyone's input on this subject, and I have learned a lot. As a result of your help and advice, come spring, I plan to go with a set of 235/80R16 Maxxis, and upgrade from load range D to load range E. Will also check at the time to make sure my rims are rated for the 80psi pressure of range E. Wish I could go to the 85s, but they are just enough larger in diameter to reduce my clearance between tires from 2 1/2 inches to less than 1 inch. Don't want to get that close, so will stay with the 80s. Thanks again to all !!
Retired at last !

Old 12-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #36

another vote for Maxxis. I just had four Maxxis installed on our Designer. They look pretty good too.
Http://yogi154.blogspot.com/
yogi154 is offline   Reply With Quote