Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-14-2015, 05:56 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tularockstar View Post
My question is: do the sensors and monitoring system tell you the PSI of your tires while parked at a campsite? Or, do your tires have to be turning in order for you to know the air pressure in each one? If this system can provide accurate air pressure while static, then I would get one. Because I normally check air pressure in my trailer tires (and refill the air, if needed) before I hook it up and tow it home.
Don't know about other brands, but the TST 507 system provides air pressure and tire temp anytime the sensors are installed. Air pressure turns them on. The monitor in the truck can be set to display only your truck or your truck and trailer so when I am parked and remove the sensors I change the monitor to display only the truck since I leave them on all the time. I do put my trailer sensors back on a couple of days prior to travel to see if I have a low sensor battery which is easy to replace and to check the tire pressure with a gauge. After the sensors are installed you can then see the difference in your gauge vs the sensor pressure so daily checking of the tires with a gauge isn't necessary.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:00 AM   #22

Tire Pressure Monitors

Lots of good information here, thank you....another question...what is the advantage to flow through as opposed to non-flow through...are they difficult to remove to add air?
rinkside7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #23
Site Team

It is an improvement. I do have to remove mine once or twice a year but otherwise they stay put.
If buying today, I would get the flow thrus.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:26 PM   #24

HOMER1959-

x2, and while traveling I always take a minute and walk around and check all tires and wheels for heat by touching!!!
Rhumphers9a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowMatt View Post
Good Day
I know this is an old topic but most of the forms talk about tire pressure at 50 and 60 PSI.
We are heading South to start our first full-time RV trip. We depart Canada on the 1st of November.
Went to check my tire pressure before traveling and the four of them come in low around 55 to 58 PSI. When I look at the tag from Jayco on the street side of the 5er it reads 80 PSI Cold. I note the the Towmax STR Powerking, ST 235/80 R16 state max PSI is 80.
Should I be filling my tires to the MAX 80 PSI???

RowMatt sends

RowMatt- I have Towmax 235/80/16's on my 5'er, the manufacture tells you to run 80 lbs. max cold psi because they know that if they are used as advertised weight load vs air psi they will be fine. I always run 80 lbs. and always check before leaving and returning, and as far as over the winter, I checked the Towmax owners manual and it states if not putting trailer on jack stands to fill the 80lb. max tires to 100lbs. while it sits over the winter especially if your not able to rotate them over the winter. I bought my Jayco Eagle 31.5 RLTS in Nov. 2013, and now have towed it for 9,730 miles and have seen no bulges on the tread or sidewalls and have not seen any tread beginning to come apart anywhere, but from what I've seen on this forum, I will be keeping a very close eye on them, but hey, who wouldn't when you've spent this kind of money on a nice 5th wheel, why would anyone be so lazy as not to check their tires often, not only the damages you may be keeping from happening but your family in the TV at highway speeds the possible consequences that may occur if you don't take the time!!!
Old 12-02-2015, 07:37 AM   #26

Thank you everyone for your comments. Our trip to Florida Panhandle was good. I did purchase a TM66 with two extra sensors (4 for the truck and 4 for the trailer). Easy to install and seem to work good. I will now travel with a piece of mind but will still watch my speed on those tires. I still see RV running at 70-75 mph. Not me any more. Thanks again.
RowMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:36 AM   #27

My wife and I were on the interstate 75 in our auto recently going to south Georgia. My cruise control was set on 79. We had no less than three 5th wheeler combinations go by us like we were stopped. And then they wonder why they had a blowout and all that damage!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:41 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
My wife and I were on the interstate 75 in our auto recently going to south Georgia. My cruise control was set on 79. We had no less than three 5th wheeler combinations go by us like we were stopped. And then they wonder why they had a blowout and all that damage!

X2 and also a hazard to everyone on the road when they have to stop.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:27 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowMatt View Post
Good Day
I know this is an old topic but most of the forms talk about tire pressure at 50 and 60 PSI.
We are heading South to start our first full-time RV trip. We depart Canada on the 1st of November.
Went to check my tire pressure before traveling and the four of them come in low around 55 to 58 PSI. When I look at the tag from Jayco on the street side of the 5er it reads 80 PSI Cold. I note the the Towmax STR Powerking, ST 235/80 R16 state max PSI is 80.
Should I be filling my tires to the MAX 80 PSI???

RowMatt sends

Iv'e always checked and set right t the sidewall max cold psi of 80 lbs. but be sure they are cold. I have Tomax 285/ 16/ 75 and have 9,075 miles on them and are wearing great, but have been watching for bubbles but none so far, crossed fingers and eyes, lol.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:46 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumphers9a View Post
Iv'e always checked and set right t the sidewall max cold psi of 80 lbs. but be sure they are cold. I have Tomax 285/ 16/ 75 and have 9,075 miles on them and are wearing great, but have been watching for bubbles but none so far, crossed fingers and eyes, lol.
Just don't cross your eyes while you're inspecting them! I could barely see that my Towmax had a broken tread while it was mounted to the trailer. Once I got it off the trailer, it was big as day though. The only reason I caught it was because I didn't trust the tires, so I was watching them VERY CLOSELY, and one just didn't look right in the mirror going down the road. Just be really careful with your inspections, those tires aren't trustworthy IMO.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:16 PM   #31

There is a very good article about trailer tires in the December issue of Trailer Life magazine. It goes into some real depth on ST tires as it pertains to tire pressures, temperatures, speed ratings, construction etc. It has some information I had never read about increasing tire pressure recommended by the manufacture for increased tire protection for speeds above 65. It also has an article and review of tire monitoring systems by brand.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijlw View Post
It has some information I had never read about increasing tire pressure recommended by the manufacture for increased tire protection for speeds above 65.
I've been telling people that for about 2 years now. Last set of tires I bought for my old trailer had documentation that clearly stated that. They are rated to their max weight carrying capacity at max pressure at 65 mph. If you have tires that are rated higher than you need, you can increase tire pressure and run them faster, at the expense of that higher weight rating.

When I bought my tires, load range D were about $10 a tire more than load range C. I overbought my tires just to be safe. I could have over inflated and safely driven faster than 65, in accordance with manufacturer recommendations.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:19 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
I've been telling people that for about 2 years now. Last set of tires I bought for my old trailer had documentation that clearly stated that. They are rated to their max weight carrying capacity at max pressure at 65 mph. I could have over inflated and safely driven faster than 65, in accordance with manufacturer recommendations.
Although I rarely tow faster than 65mph, I run my D-rated Marathons at 70psi [max 65psi] all the time. My tires are approaching the 5 year mark and have no visual signs of wear or abnormalities. If I see anything wrong with these tires, they're going to be replaced immediately with E rated Maxxis.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:05 PM   #34

Sorry, not to raise a dead issue.....

Yesterday, I just had a conversation with a person who works at a one of the Tire shops in Arizona. When I mentioned that I was under the impression to run the max PSI on my 5th wheel tires (upgraded to 17.5 rims and H rated tires - 125 max PSI), he said that it I should be running 5 - 10 PSI lower in warmer weather as the PSI will go beyond the max recommended by the manufacturer. Plus the tires would not be running even at that max temp but crowned.

So now, I am a bit confused especially since I upgraded from the crap OEM tires to my new Sailun tires. Any advise is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-26-2017, 04:38 PM   #35

Always been my understanding to check tire inflation in the morning when tires are cold. Once set to the desired inflation, leave them. Tire pressure will increase due to heat while rolling down the road but will decrease overnight back to normal.

Unless things have changed, the tire shop employee know not of what he speaks.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:07 PM   #36

I agree with Murff.
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:30 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadam View Post
Sorry, not to raise a dead issue.....

Yesterday, I just had a conversation with a person who works at a one of the Tire shops in Arizona. When I mentioned that I was under the impression to run the max PSI on my 5th wheel tires (upgraded to 17.5 rims and H rated tires - 125 max PSI), he said that it I should be running 5 - 10 PSI lower in warmer weather as the PSI will go beyond the max recommended by the manufacturer. Plus the tires would not be running even at that max temp but crowned.

So now, I am a bit confused especially since I upgraded from the crap OEM tires to my new Sailun tires. Any advise is greatly appreciated!
That's false!!! Inflate to max cold. Yes they will heat up as the tires roll. Under inflated tires will run even hotter. The top reason a tire fails is due to under inflation. Under inflated tire will run hot and than start to break down. Not every expert is an actual expert. Never bleed the air off on a hot tire, that will make it under inflated. The max pressure is at cold and design to be higher once hot. That's why it says max cold and not max hot. I'd find another tire shop.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:23 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
That's false!!! Inflate to max cold. Yes they will heat up as the tires roll. Under inflated tires will run even hotter. The top reason a tire fails is due to under inflation. Under inflated tire will run hot and than start to break down. Not every expert is an actual expert. Never bleed the air off on a hot tire, that will make it under inflated. The max pressure is at cold and design to be higher once hot. That's why it says max cold and not max hot. I'd find another tire shop.

Earl
Guy at my tire shop said the same thing. I heard him shout to one of the other guys what tire pressure to use, and it was less than max sidewall. I said "no, I want them filled to 80" and he said "then they'll be over when they're hot" and I said "that's fine, that's how they were designed, please fill them to 80 lbs".

It's a good tire shop, but just like any other, you have to pay attention to what they're doing with your gear.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:30 AM   #39

Working at a tire shop does not make one an expert. It just makes him a professional. Lots of professionals are flat wrong. Whether or not you need to run at max PSI, the tire is manufactured to handle the max PSI cold and the subsequent effect of heating up during the day and drive.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:39 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Earl
^^^^ everything he said... except for the 'find another tire shop' part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
snip... the tire is manufactured to handle the max PSI cold and the subsequent effect of heating up during the day and drive.
^^^^ this.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote