Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-12-2015, 12:16 PM   #31

There is a very good article about trailer tires in the December issue of Trailer Life magazine. It goes into some real depth on ST tires as it pertains to tire pressures, temperatures, speed ratings, construction etc. It has some information I had never read about increasing tire pressure recommended by the manufacture for increased tire protection for speeds above 65. It also has an article and review of tire monitoring systems by brand.

2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijlw View Post
It has some information I had never read about increasing tire pressure recommended by the manufacture for increased tire protection for speeds above 65.
I've been telling people that for about 2 years now. Last set of tires I bought for my old trailer had documentation that clearly stated that. They are rated to their max weight carrying capacity at max pressure at 65 mph. If you have tires that are rated higher than you need, you can increase tire pressure and run them faster, at the expense of that higher weight rating.

When I bought my tires, load range D were about $10 a tire more than load range C. I overbought my tires just to be safe. I could have over inflated and safely driven faster than 65, in accordance with manufacturer recommendations.

spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:19 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
I've been telling people that for about 2 years now. Last set of tires I bought for my old trailer had documentation that clearly stated that. They are rated to their max weight carrying capacity at max pressure at 65 mph. I could have over inflated and safely driven faster than 65, in accordance with manufacturer recommendations.
Although I rarely tow faster than 65mph, I run my D-rated Marathons at 70psi [max 65psi] all the time. My tires are approaching the 5 year mark and have no visual signs of wear or abnormalities. If I see anything wrong with these tires, they're going to be replaced immediately with E rated Maxxis.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #34

Sorry, not to raise a dead issue.....

Yesterday, I just had a conversation with a person who works at a one of the Tire shops in Arizona. When I mentioned that I was under the impression to run the max PSI on my 5th wheel tires (upgraded to 17.5 rims and H rated tires - 125 max PSI), he said that it I should be running 5 - 10 PSI lower in warmer weather as the PSI will go beyond the max recommended by the manufacturer. Plus the tires would not be running even at that max temp but crowned.

So now, I am a bit confused especially since I upgraded from the crap OEM tires to my new Sailun tires. Any advise is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-26-2017, 05:38 PM   #35

Always been my understanding to check tire inflation in the morning when tires are cold. Once set to the desired inflation, leave them. Tire pressure will increase due to heat while rolling down the road but will decrease overnight back to normal.

Unless things have changed, the tire shop employee know not of what he speaks.

Murff
Andersen Hitch
Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:07 PM   #36

I agree with Murff.
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:30 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadam View Post
Sorry, not to raise a dead issue.....

Yesterday, I just had a conversation with a person who works at a one of the Tire shops in Arizona. When I mentioned that I was under the impression to run the max PSI on my 5th wheel tires (upgraded to 17.5 rims and H rated tires - 125 max PSI), he said that it I should be running 5 - 10 PSI lower in warmer weather as the PSI will go beyond the max recommended by the manufacturer. Plus the tires would not be running even at that max temp but crowned.

So now, I am a bit confused especially since I upgraded from the crap OEM tires to my new Sailun tires. Any advise is greatly appreciated!
That's false!!! Inflate to max cold. Yes they will heat up as the tires roll. Under inflated tires will run even hotter. The top reason a tire fails is due to under inflation. Under inflated tire will run hot and than start to break down. Not every expert is an actual expert. Never bleed the air off on a hot tire, that will make it under inflated. The max pressure is at cold and design to be higher once hot. That's why it says max cold and not max hot. I'd find another tire shop.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:23 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
That's false!!! Inflate to max cold. Yes they will heat up as the tires roll. Under inflated tires will run even hotter. The top reason a tire fails is due to under inflation. Under inflated tire will run hot and than start to break down. Not every expert is an actual expert. Never bleed the air off on a hot tire, that will make it under inflated. The max pressure is at cold and design to be higher once hot. That's why it says max cold and not max hot. I'd find another tire shop.

Earl
Guy at my tire shop said the same thing. I heard him shout to one of the other guys what tire pressure to use, and it was less than max sidewall. I said "no, I want them filled to 80" and he said "then they'll be over when they're hot" and I said "that's fine, that's how they were designed, please fill them to 80 lbs".

It's a good tire shop, but just like any other, you have to pay attention to what they're doing with your gear.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:30 AM   #39

Working at a tire shop does not make one an expert. It just makes him a professional. Lots of professionals are flat wrong. Whether or not you need to run at max PSI, the tire is manufactured to handle the max PSI cold and the subsequent effect of heating up during the day and drive.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Earl
^^^^ everything he said... except for the 'find another tire shop' part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
snip... the tire is manufactured to handle the max PSI cold and the subsequent effect of heating up during the day and drive.
^^^^ this.

oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote