Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-27-2020, 11:28 AM   #21
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
Start with nitrogen filled. Air is 79% nitrogen, 18% oxygen, 3% other. So topping off adds negligible O2 and other. The object is cool tires not perfect gases.
You might want to look at the Consumer Report study on nitrogen and tires. Fuel saving was negligible, tire pressure still dropped over time anyway, and the heat difference was not enough to warrant paying the $50 to $150 a tire for nitrogen. If you like it use it but I find no reason to pay $5-8 a tire to top off a tire,( with 3 lbs of air) and although the dealer covers fills on the Lexus it is more in gas to go there and back to get them topped off.

None of the Discounts that I have been to carry it. It's a money maker for some garages and tire companies but until all places that have air up locations carry it it is not worth what you have to pay.

If you paid for nitrogen, and "that there coating" is right up there with it (William H, Macy in Fargo) you fell right into the salesman's trap. JMHO

Spend the $50 to $150 on top of the line tires. You're better off.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
The only problem with nitrogen filled is you then have to find some place with nitrogen to top a tire off. We have a Lexus with Nitrogen filled tires. I got tired of having to drive to the dealer to top them off every time it cooled off and my warning came on. And there is some question about how much you gain with that anyway.
X2...I have read articles from Tirerack.com, etc saying that there are no real advantages to nitrogen. Pay the money for a good tire gauge and keep the tires properly filled.
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:24 PM   #23

Discount isn’t everywhere

I too love Discount Tire & bought the trailer tires from them but found I wasted money on the road hazard charge. Had a screw through one of the tires while traveling in the Northeast & had to pay for a replacement spare. Both Discount and Les Schwab are west coast companies.
WA5thwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:01 PM   #24

Thanks for all the useful input. I’ve chosen the tst system. One final “Newbie” question. Lake Huron mentioned make sure they lift FW from the frame and not axles. I’ll be getting tires from Discount tire. Do they know to lift from the frame and not the axles? Or should I watch them do the mountings? I guess I’m being a little paranoid. Better to be paranoid than to find out later your axles are out of whack.
Afrnd2all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #25

Lifting from the frame is the recommended way...but I have done it from the axle on numerous occasions with no issues. Get the jack as close as you can to the wheel itself.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:11 PM   #26

I think the recommendation is to prevent us from bending an axle. I can see how it could happen if you lift by the axle at a point that is toward the center rather than directly under the springs. When I have to lift it by the axle, I use a block of wood and put it across both u-bolts so it is lifting evenly directly under the spring.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:20 PM   #27

The one thing you'll have going for you is your 5er is WAY too big to fit into one of their bays so they'll prolly do it close to the building right in the lot. I'd mention it to the sales guy AND stand out in the lot making sure they do it off the frame. They bend your axle, you won't know it until many miles later when you see your tires wearing unevenly. Just like the auto dealers they will say and do anything to get out of doing warranty work where THEY caused the issue.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:01 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
discount tire - they are everywhere and almost always great service

the atmosphere is 78% nitrogen... so save your money and just use good ol' air... unless you are going to the race track...
X2 on every point - and get them balanced
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cag View Post
discount tire! You're going to get a better price than the dealer and better advice on which tire to put on. I have been buying tires from discount for nearly 50 years. I have never had a bad experience and the one set of tires that i got and did not like, they prorated and replaced with no questions.

I have priced tires at costco and sam's and discount has always met a lower price if you can find one and document it.

You don't say what rig you have which would help and by fw are you meaning the front wheels? Very large floor jacks. The have replaced several sets of tires on my toyhauler over the years and i just had the greyhawk in for valve stem install. Not a problem for them.
x2 discount tire
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:16 PM   #30

Nitrogen won't make your tires run appreciably cooler, just stay a constant pressure, at any temperature. If nitrogen is already in the tires, OK, but if not, air is perfectly fine.
Bugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:20 PM   #31

X3 on getting them balanced!!!!
Old 02-02-2020, 08:23 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrnd2all View Post
Thanks for the info. We have an '18 Eagle 317rlok. It currently has the Endurance tires on it. Was going to stick with them. They have an April of '17 date on them.
Why are you replacing 3 year old tires? I can understand why if it is due to wear but not if it is simply due to age.

Replacing at 3 years may have been wise back when everyone was riding on "China bombs" but with good quality tires like Endurance you shouldn't have to worry until they are at least 5-6 years old.
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:12 AM   #33

If you go with Discount Tire be sure to get the tire warranty. I had them balance my tires on my toyhauler when it was just about new. Goodyear's came on the unit but they said they would still sell me there tire warranty. One week later big nail near sidewall, no problem, did not even take the tire off the rim for inspection, just put on a new one.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #34

How could lifting a trailer from the axle, right under the spring perch bend the axle? I understand in the middle of the axle...
Old 02-02-2020, 10:29 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levinehikeski View Post
How could lifting a trailer from the axle, right under the spring perch bend the axle? I understand in the middle of the axle...
I believe the point is to use the spring perch (or as close to the wheel as possible) and not toward the middle of the axle.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:57 PM   #36

We have a motorhome so our situation is a little different than a towed RV. However, when I asked our original selling dealer about getting new tires he recommended the local Ford dealer. He said basically, do you want someone who knows what he or she is doing or a teenager at Wally world or even one of the national tire chains. That said, I have never had anything but a good experience with Discount or Les Schwab, both large national or regional chains. I have also found that many locally-owned tire dealers are very reputable. I know you can buy tires online and save some money, but will the tire dealer inflate the installation price so much to make it a wash or worse just do a crappy job because he didn't get the tire business. The good ones won't but do you want to trust your life to that premise. My Class C did not come with a TPMS so I bought an aftermarket after I blew a tire on my toad and did not know it. The toad has a TPMS but it doesn't do any good if you're in the cab of the RV. My aftermarket TPMS supports something like 20 tires, so I have valve sensors for 10 tires, the six on the RV and four on the toad. It works fine but I hate the flexible valve stem extenders and intent to replace them with solid ones.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:17 PM   #37

I buy the Goodyear Endurance tires online as cheap as I can and pay a local tire guy $10 each to mount and balance them. Happy....
Old 02-02-2020, 02:18 PM   #38

I purchased mine online at the tire rack and had them installed at a local tire shop. They charged me $12 per tire to mount and balance my tires and dispose of the take offs. I did so since I could not find a dealer that could get the tires I wanted within a reasonable timeframe. This may be an option for you.
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:55 PM   #39

I bought my endurance tires from Discount tire. They will price match any tire you find cheaper. They also balanced them without asking them too. I buy all my tires from them you cant go wrong
deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:58 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
Start with nitrogen filled. Air is 79% nitrogen, 18% oxygen, 3% other. So topping off adds negligible O2 and other. The object is cool tires not perfect gases.
Have never run a trailer without nitrogen filled.
Yes air is 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen, with the remainder being trace gases. Oxygen can retain moisture inside your tires and eventually can oxidize the internal tire wall casing, causing premature tire aging. In extreme cases, the moisture can even cause the tire’s steel reinforcing belts to rust. If the wheel’s paint protection is damaged, this can also promote rust in steel wheels. Nitrogen, on the other hand, is an inert, dry gas and does not support moisture. The use of 93-95% pure nitrogen will prevent premature tire aging and wheel corrosion due to internal moisture. However, some experts say that under normal driving conditions, a tire’s tread will reach its minimum usable depth long before any effect of oxidation on the tire wall or wheel rust. Although nitrogen has the technological advantage here, the practical benefit is minimal under normal driving conditions. It may be beneficial if your rv is not driven regularly or is placed in storage.
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote