Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2020, 12:01 PM   #1

Tire Replacement

Looking for some input on FW tire replacement. Will be buying a new set Goodyear endurance to replace the original set. Not sure where to have it done.
Where do you get your tires replaced when its time? Do you go back to the dealer (not my choice)? Or someplace like Discount Tire? Or maybe a truck tire dealer? I'm not sure which one is best. Also curious of how they get FW off the ground. Thanks for any input you might have.
Afrnd2all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:20 PM   #2

Get the edurance. See if you can get them nitrogen filled. They will run cooler. Make sure you get them balanced. Biggest thing we have found is we don't have any leaks through the valve stems.pend your money on a TPMS. We found that we can check the tire pressures continuously and not have any valve stem leaks.

It doesn't matter where you get them done. Tires never break near where you bought them.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:25 PM   #3
CAG

Discount Tire! You're going to get a better price than the dealer and better advice on which tire to put on. I have been buying tires from Discount for nearly 50 years. I have never had a bad experience and the one set of tires that I got and did not like, they prorated and replaced with no questions.

I have priced tires at Costco and Sam's and Discount has always met a lower price if you can find one and document it.

You don't say what rig you have which would help and by FW are you meaning the front wheels? Very large floor jacks. The have replaced several sets of tires on my toyhauler over the years and I just had the Greyhawk in for valve stem install. Not a problem for them.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #4
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
Get the edurance. See if you can get them nitrogen filled. They will run cooler. Make sure you get them balanced. Biggest thing we have found is we don't have any leaks through the valve stems.pend your money on a TPMS. We found that we can check the tire pressures continuously and not have any valve stem leaks.

It doesn't matter where you get them done. Tires never break near where you bought them.
The only problem with nitrogen filled is you then have to find some place with nitrogen to top a tire off. We have a Lexus with Nitrogen filled tires. I got tired of having to drive to the dealer to top them off every time it cooled off and my warning came on. And there is some question about how much you gain with that anyway.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:30 PM   #5

discount tire - they are everywhere and almost always great service

the atmosphere is 78% nitrogen... so save your money and just use good ol' air... unless you are going to the race track...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:43 PM   #6

Thanks for the info. We have an '18 Eagle 317rlok. It currently has the Endurance tires on it. Was going to stick with them. They have an April of '17 date on them. We are taking a 4 month trip starting the end of May, North from Az. to Montana,Wyoming, SD and Canada. In regards to the TPMS system, Which would you recommend? I would like one that could be monitored thru the same system that monitors my truck tires.
Afrnd2all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrnd2all View Post
Thanks for the info. We have an '18 Eagle 317rlok. It currently has the Endurance tires on it. Was going to stick with them. They have an April of '17 date on them. We are taking a 4 month trip starting the end of May, North from Az. to Montana,Wyoming, SD and Canada. In regards to the TPMS system, Which would you recommend? I would like one that could be monitored thru the same system that monitors my truck tires.

I don't believe any truck system will accommodate additional tires..most TPMS systems are 2 or 4 or 6 tire systems that run on a frequency for that manufacturer... most need a relay system to get from the back of the trailer into the truck. There are lots of them to look at and the better ones are expensive... the best method IMO is to get a air pump and every day before you start your trip use a good ol' air gauge and check them.. then when you stop for gas mid day check them again...
Old 01-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #8

I just order them from whoever is the cheapest, then have my local tire shop install them. I went from 15's to 16's and got the rims from etrailer. Can't remember where I got the Goodyears, but probably Discount Tire Direct. They are awesome so far.
Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 02:54 PM   #9

Unless your tow vehicle has the in-dash factory trailer tire (ttpms) option you will have to use an aftermarket system. I highly recommend the TST-507 which can be purchased with valve stem sensors (which I have) or internal rim mounted sensors. This system comes with a small monitor that can be placed easily on dash or somewhere visible. Mine works very well wirelessly and without the need for the signal booster. It gives you constant pressure and temperatures monitoring with variable settings for alarm. Well worth the minimal expense! If your rims will work with the internal sensors, get the ttpms system before you have new tires mounted so they can be installed during tire change. (research your particular rims to be sure they are compatible with the sensors...not all are)
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:53 PM   #10

The Endurance tires are getting really good reviews and I think that’d be a good choice.
TPMS, TST is probably the most popular and gets great reviews. I have one from Minder Research (TireMinder) and it works great tho seems to be less popular than TST.
I have bought a few sets of tires from Discount and find them a great company to do business and will be buying more from them in the future.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:10 PM   #11

TPMS I dont have, yet. So i cant really comment on that other than I do hear more people have the TST system than the tire minder but I dont think you can really go wrong on either one.

Tires, I got my Endurance tires from discount tire. I've got a LOT of tires from my local DT and have never had bad service or prices. I was 1300 miles from home and lost a weight on one of my truck tires. I found a DT in that area and they took care if it no problem and no charge.

My local DT is extremely busy all the time and unfortunately they have a small lot, so it is VERY difficult to get a 45' FW in their lot. I take the wheels off at home and use a 20 ton bottle jack that I keep on my trailer and lift it off the FRAME close to the axle. DO NOT LIFT IT OFF THE AXLE. You will end up bending the axle tube and screw things up bad. Those axles are bent a certain degree for the weight of the trailer so the tires ride and wear properly. If you take it to them make sure they lift off the frame.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:39 PM   #12

I agree, Discount Tire for the purchase. They will charge your for "mounting and balancing" but may not balance them because, "no one balances trailer tires". (Quote from the serviceman at Discount Tire).

I started to let him have verbal blast when he qualified his statement with, "unless you want your trailer to roll smoother down the road". Well, duh! That reason and the fact that you made me pay for mounting AND balancing on my invoice.

Yes, I had to take the trailer back to have them balanced. His other comment was the weights would not be pretty on the outside of my wheels. I told him I put safety ahead of pretty so go ahead and make the wheels ugly.

Other than that, I do like Discount Tire.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:53 PM   #13

Another X2 for America’s/Discount Tire. Our GY Endurance tires are still fairly new but I’ll be going there for new ones in a year or so. Did pick up a nail on our very first trip snd they repaired it free, even though it was an OEM tire! I‘ve bought my car and truck tires there. They are always busy, but you can make an appointment and it goes quick. And they’ll match Costco so no worry there.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:25 PM   #14

I ordered my tires from simpletire.com and had them delivered to my local tire shop for install.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:40 PM   #15

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200126-203747_Email.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	56062
This just came in on my email.
There's your sign.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
The only problem with nitrogen filled is you then have to find some place with nitrogen to top a tire off. We have a Lexus with Nitrogen filled tires. I got tired of having to drive to the dealer to top them off every time it cooled off and my warning came on. And there is some question about how much you gain with that anyway.
Start with nitrogen filled. Air is 79% nitrogen, 18% oxygen, 3% other. So topping off adds negligible O2 and other. The object is cool tires not perfect gases.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I am indifferent with nitrogen and had it in our Class C, but even the small family owned tire shop in our little town in the desert has nitrogen. Maybe that's a rarity?
Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 05:26 AM   #18

I replaced the curb-side tires on my trailer w/Endurance last summer. Like them a lot! I'll do the drivers' side this summer. I can confirm that Discount Tire won't balance them unless you specifically ask. BTW, Walmart also carries the Endurance Tires (most locations. . . You can also order them from Walmart.com & they'll 2-day ship to your local store for free.). Their prices are competitive, and their parking lots are generally bigger.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:14 AM   #19

I have over 14k miles on my endurance tires they are awesome.. and that includes AK trip no failure!!!!!

disount tire balanced mine and balanced my sled trailer 12" tires but my discount tire is awesome!

they didn't even put a weight on the outside all taped inside the rim
Old 01-27-2020, 09:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrnd2all View Post
I would like one that could be monitored thru the same system that monitors my truck tires.

That would have been $600 to add RV tire sensors to my existing Ford system. For half that I went to TechnoRV and go the TST system with cap sensors. Easy install and the signal repeater if came with was not needed.

When getting ready on travel day, I turn the monitor on first before the regular departure checklist; the sensors can take up to 15 min. to synch up.
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote