Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2016, 11:56 AM   #41

Tire shopping for our 36 FBTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT View Post
I have not received mine yet, and I don't know what their method of balancing is. Apparently you have concerns about one or the other. Please elaborate
I had randomly asked a tire dealer about the Goodyear, Sailuns and Maxxon several weeks ago. Please note I don't own an RV yet-- just researching all facets. But I have seen a large amount of fifth wheel dealers put very poor quality tires to save money on their MSRP. A Columbus Palomino rep agreed with me that he realizes that many customers plan to upgrade tires immediately after they buy. But I digress. I first heard about balancing beads from that local tire dealer. Evidently because of the weight of the fifth wheels and the fact that they often sit, where the tire goes out of round,and then back in operation. The balancing beads are sort of an on ongoing method to help maintain balance
I have nothing to compare it to. Nor have I received feedback from anyone I know that have seen their effect. I was hoping to hear from others here regarding their effectiveness . It makes sense if they work because what a pain it would be to take your 40' fifth wheel into a tire dealer to maintain balance on your tires. I also seriously doubt an RV dealer actually balances a tire correctly anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:14 PM   #42

Larry
I have never heard of the balancing beads. I don't know if I can agree with the theory that a tire/wheel combination would get out of balance just sitting. That's just my thought, not saying it's wrong. The tire "could" possibly get some what of a flat spot from sitting but once put in service I would believe it would go back to it's original shape. I have had vehicles sit for long periods of time and never noticed an issue when driven for the first time. I do agree that there are many rigs on the road that have never had the tires balanced and I believe that contributes to a lot of the failures we constantly hear about. An unbalanced tire/wheel with 1000's of pounds sitting on it while traveling at 60 mph is only going to tear itself apart at some point.

Good luck when you decide to take the plunge on a rig
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:50 PM   #43

Quote:
Larry
I have never heard of the balancing beads. I don't know if I can agree with the theory that a tire/wheel combination would get out of balance just sitting. That's just my thought, not saying it's wrong. The tire "could" possibly get some what of a flat spot from sitting but once put in service I would believe it would go back to it's original shape. I have had vehicles sit for long periods of time and never noticed an issue when driven for the first time. I do agree that there are many rigs on the road that have never had the tires balanced and I believe that contributes to a lot of the failures we constantly hear about. An unbalanced tire/wheel with 1000's of pounds sitting on it while traveling at 60 mph is only going to tear itself apart at some point.

Good luck when you decide to take the plunge on a rig

Old 09-09-2016, 06:30 PM   #44
Site Team

I have used this in the past: KTB balancing liquid.. People that use it swear by it. I had it in my truck and trailer tires and had no problems with it contaminating the valves. Just remove the Schrader valve and pour the recommend amount in.

Disclaimer: I have no interest in this company.

https://ktbmanufacturing.com/wp-cont...e-Balancer.pdf
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:50 PM   #45

Interesting stuff, live and learn. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:38 PM   #46

Quote:
Interesting stuff, live and learn. Thanks for the info.
Texas RT-- well I still haven't heard any feedback from anyone that have used them yet-- only what the tire dealer said.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #47

Don't get ST's change your size to 235r80's and get a good LT truck tire. You will be happier and the price is cheaper
Skaggsryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:49 PM   #48

Did you get new rims as well or just new tires? My new 2015 36fbts also comes with towmax and i figured i would replace them before putting too many miles on it.

Thanks
Greg
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:09 PM   #49

Balancing beads (sand) is used by tire dealers that don't have spin balancing equipment. I allowed a dealer in Phoneix to put that in my 19.5 front tires in January. They didn't have balancing equipments? Recently had the F 450 aligned and the shop manager asked if I had a tire out of balance. I needed an alignment due to shaking while at highway speeds. They dismounted the tires and took out the beads and balanced (spin). The alignment wasn't need, it was the beads.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:47 AM   #50
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Has anyone ever heard of, or used these tires Karrier ST235/85R16 Radial Trailer Tire - Load Range F.
I'm starting to shop around for tires for our 36 FBTS Pinnacle, I know many people recommend the G614's.
Check your rim pressure rating probably only its tagged in side that won't work with better tire ratings could blow rim apart tore my good friends leg apart when it exploded
My garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:49 AM   #51

Same rims. The only thing different is the height of the tire and of course the quality. Light Truck tires are the only way to go.
Skaggsryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:55 AM   #52
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaggsryan View Post
Same rims. The only thing different is the height of the tire and of course the quality. Light Truck tires are the only way to go.
Check air pressure required ion tire let me know as our original blew first trip cost me 700 in az
My garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:00 AM   #53

Just wondering how's is the ride on the heavier G rated tire i.e. G614 or the S637. Is it stiffer than the factory Rainiers or about the same. I am leaning towards the G614 my rims are 3750 lbs. with the metal stems and was told that tire should be ok. Although I checked my spare and it's on one of those white rims with a rubber stem, don't know if I should get that changed out. Might need a new rim.

2016 36FBTS
2016 Chev. High Country 3500HD
canniff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:23 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by canniff7 View Post
Just wondering how's is the ride on the heavier G rated tire i.e. G614 or the S637. Is it stiffer than the factory Rainiers or about the same. I am leaning towards the G614 my rims are 3750 lbs. with the metal stems and was told that tire should be ok. Although I checked my spare and it's on one of those white rims with a rubber stem, don't know if I should get that changed out. Might need a new rim.

2016 36FBTS
2016 Chev. High Country 3500HD

Let me know what you find out if your rims are good for those tires. I was told by Tredit (where they get tires and wheels from) that my rims are good for 110psi. That's what the Good years are rated for.
You have same wheels as I do.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #55

I bought my fiver used and it had TowMax's on it. I changed them out after I got it home. I asked Tredit about the wheel rating and they said they were unsure, Jayco said 110lb was ok, another wheel company said they looked like theirs and were good for 110.

I decided to stay with the stock wheels as Tredit and the other company both said they were their wheels. No markings on the inside of the barrel when the tire was off. I put S637's on and run them @ 100psi. They ride like solid rubber tires with no compliance at all. So far I have about 12,000km on them. I check the temps with an IR gun at most stops and they are all the same and not hot, front tires on the truck are hotter.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:14 PM   #56

Sticker sent to me from dealer showing tire and axel info shows 7000 lb axels, ST23580R16-E tires and 16" rims rated at 80psi.

If I change to the GY or the much better Chinese tires to 85R16-G I think I will have to go to different rims.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:50 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
Did you get new rims as well or just new tires? My new 2015 36fbts also comes with towmax and i figured i would replace them before putting too many miles on it.

Thanks
Greg
Greg
I not sure if you were asking me the question.

I got the 17.5" Sailun S637's which are H rated on new 17.5" wheels.
The tires are rated at 4805# each at 125 psi and the wheels are rated at 4850# each. The wheels come with 200 psi rated valve stems.
The vendor said they can be run down to 115 psi if desired.
I feel confident that this setup should more than handle the capacity, unlike the bare minimum rated tires that came on the unit.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:47 AM   #58

We did the same upgrade as TexasRT and couldn't be happier. It is very obvious that the Sailuns are a much heavier grade tire. You won't be sorry if you go that route.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlakes View Post
We did the same upgrade as TexasRT and couldn't be happier. It is very obvious that the Sailuns are a much heavier grade tire. You won't be sorry if you go that route.
Glad to hear you're happy with them.
Just curious, do you run the max 125 psi or did you opt to lower it?

I just got mine home from the freight company and unloaded, these things appear to be STOUT.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:41 AM   #60

I run them @ 120psi. The dealer told me that would be ok and NEVER run them below 115psi. I plan on bumping them up to 125psi for our trip to Fla. because we'll be "loaded" up for that trip. We are about 15,300 lbs gross normally.