Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2020, 11:07 AM   #1

Toilet drop ins in between trips

Wondering if we should continue to drop in a toilet pod at the end of a trip? In the summer we go about a week each month. When emptying black tank I'll drop a drop in and add some water to prevent smells. Do most of you do this or once cleaned out you leave it be?
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:36 AM   #2

When I get back I either do the GEO method or the 1 cup of Dawn/1 cup of water softener an leave it alone. I usually won't put a drop in until just before we leave.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:46 AM   #3

For the last 40 years, which consisted of 2 campers and my current Greyhawk, I never have added anything to the tank after emptying. When I get back from a trip I am able to flush the tanks at home (thankfully) which I do usually within a week. I do spend a bit of time flushing the black tank until it runs clean.

Never have had any sort of odor issue in all these years. I just add the chemical when I get to the site before we start using the toilet.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:07 PM   #4
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
Wondering if we should continue to drop in a toilet pod at the end of a trip? In the summer we go about a week each month. When emptying black tank I'll drop a drop in and add some water to prevent smells. Do most of you do this or once cleaned out you leave it be?
Enough water in the tanks to cover the bottom with an inch or two and then Happy Camper to work on the left over. Our season is pretty much year around so it only sits a few months at the most. If you did a good clean prior to parking it there won't be much but Happy Camper will work on the rest and odor.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:13 PM   #5

If I know mine is gonna sit for 2 weeks or more, after I'm done dumping/flushing I'll pour in some Camco tank treatment. It's either green or blue, I cant remember, but it does make me remember I need to get some more because i used the last of it a few weeks ago.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Enough water in the tanks to cover the bottom with an inch or two and then Happy Camper to work on the left over. Our season is pretty much year around so it only sits a few months at the most. If you did a good clean prior to parking it there won't be much but Happy Camper will work on the rest and odor.
X2
Old 07-23-2020, 01:00 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

I think, if you're going to drop something in the tank after flushes for the odor, it would take more than a little bit of water to make it effective. A gallon or two probably won't even cover the bottom of the tank, because the first gallon or two will lay in the pipe going to the dump valve.

Also, depending on how level the rig sits in storage will depend on how much water/cleaner covers the bottom. If the rig is leaning towards the dump valve, not much actually sits on the bottom of the tank. I think you need at least 5 - 10 gallons of water to cover all situations.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I have a 50 gallon black tank so I have no idea how much would fill the bottom an inch or so. This is my second rv in three years and it's worked for me even though there are differing opinions on the matter but that's why I asked. Thanks for the responses. I agree, if I only put a gallon or two in the black tank with the pod, hell that could even dry up in this Texas heat. But not putting anything in there I don't feel comfortable with. Still needed to ask about the issue.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:18 PM   #9

It is extremely rare I use a drop in. After dumping I add about 4-5 gallons of water back in to the tank. I do add a splash of Pinesol, primarily I use it as a none sudsing soap. Once in a while I will add some Liquid Fabric soften. That is it. Only time I have ever had odor issues is in the spring about a week or two after I put water back in the tank after dewinterizing.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
It is extremely rare I use a drop in. After dumping I add about 4-5 gallons of water back in to the tank. I do add a splash of Pinesol, primarily I use it as a none sudsing soap. Once in a while I will add some Liquid Fabric soften. That is it. Only time I have ever had odor issues is in the spring about a week or two after I put water back in the tank after dewinterizing.
In my original post, I wasn't implying that I had odor issues with the tank. I am just saying that's why I put in a pod to prevent it from happening. Maybe it's not necessary. I can always try just adding a few gallons of water. I have forgotten to add a pod but added water and everything was still fine.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:42 PM   #11
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
I have a 50 gallon black tank so I have no idea how much would fill the bottom an inch or so. This is my second rv in three years and it's worked for me even though there are differing opinions on the matter but that's why I asked. Thanks for the responses. I agree, if I only put a gallon or two in the black tank with the pod, hell that could even dry up in this Texas heat. But not putting anything in there I don't feel comfortable with. Still needed to ask about the issue.
Yeah, it would be difficult but generally I run 10-15 into a 40 gal. The inch or two was a WAG and I should have mentioned gals. This is my 4 RV and I have used that with all but I have found the best method is to put that much in with some Dawn. Let it slosh to the next location and dump. Then add the "whatever" gals for storage along with something like Happy Camper to work in the tank while it is sitting.

I live in Phoenix. I don't think you have to worry about it drying up in an enclosed tank. Mine never has.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:18 PM   #12

I flush the hell out of mine then put 12 gallons in and a treatment. Then when we camp next, I put a second treatment in. You always want water in the tank or antifreeze in winter storage. Keeps everything moist and the seals wet. Never want dry tanks.

We use happy campers now. Tried all kinds of stuff prior.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote