Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2015, 06:03 AM   #61
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by P25ct View Post
When I took my blowmax tires off, they we all in good condition so far, then again we really haven't gone far on them. Warranty rep says call Tredit for warranty issues for tires. Anyone know if they are still ok if I should even bother contacting them? Can I send them back to them based on their performance these days? Recall is on 15" D rated towmax so doesn't apply. Thx.
I would sell them to someone with a work trailer on Craigslist at a price that no one could refuse.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:13 AM   #62

I have a coworker that just had a blowout on one of his Blomax tires without warning. He said he cheked the tire pressure before leaving. He also said he had about 4000 miles on them. When I called the tire warenttee place they said I would need to take pictures,weight the trailer, and send it in before they would warranty the tires. Any trailer damage would be on me! Thus the 17.5 inch upgrade with 4805 pound capacity truck tires.
Jack 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:52 AM   #63

Geez, reading all these issues, I'm glad I opted for the Maxxis upgrade option on my TT when I ordered it! Anyone know when they started offering this as an option?

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:54 AM   #64
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncw View Post
Geez, reading all these issues, I'm glad I opted for the Maxxis upgrade option on my TT when I ordered it! Anyone know when they started offering this as an option?
I was not aware that it was an option. When did that start? Many may be interested in it.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 08-19-2015, 06:55 AM   #65

Not sure. I ordered my 2016, and it was an option. The trailer comes with 15" D wheels/tires, but I paid a bit under $500 to upgrade to 16" E Maxxis ST tires and wheels (including spare).

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:16 AM   #66

The 17.5s are almost bulletproof. I haul around a 30k pound excavator on 8 of them. Expensive upgrade but worth it if you dont want to worry about it. Unfortunately, They dont make any 17.5 wheels in a 6 lug pattern (that ive found).
Im getting ready to trash my 15" blowmaxs and upgrade to 16s and LT tires.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:07 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBN608 View Post
I can tell you the Jayco factory rims on my 3 axle TH do NOT allow for the upgrade to the 120psi tires.

I wanted to make that change, and probably should have, but elected instead ($$) to keep the wheels and put on Maxis M8008 ST radials, E rated at 80psi for 3,420lbs. I too have the 6,000lb rated axles. I hoped that the extra 420lbs rated per tire over the axle would give me enough margin to at least keep the tires round and full of air.

So far (13,500 miles into a 15,000 mile trip) so good. The tires (which I check pressure on and inspect every day) look great.

HOWEVER, my next rig/upgrade will have 17.5" wheels and G114 H rated tires.
SSBN608, check for the GAWR on the side of the tailer. If it says 6000 pounds you are probably okay. My sticker said 7000 pounds but on the axles it said 6000.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:04 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack 56 View Post
I have a Pinnacle 36KTPS the Tomax 235-16 80 right rear tire blew on the freeway. I took delivery in February 2014 and I have about 8000 miles on the tires. I cruise at 62 miles per hour and always check for 80 psi before every trip. The tires have lots of tread left. When I got home I noticed the remaining 3 tire treads were bulged indicating tread seperation. I started to look at the trailer weight limits and discovered that the tires and wheels are not rated for hitch unloading (dynamic loads). Jayco calculates 20% of the weight to be on the truck. The problem is dips in the road cause dynamic loading far greater than the rated capacity. I also looked under the trailer for any damage and found that the Dexter axle sticker stated the capacity at 6000 pounds each. When I calculate 20% of the 12000 pounds and 1000 pounds of cargo weight being on the truck, the axles are overloaded by 626 pounds static. The Dexter axle site says that trailer manufacturers should account for dynamic loading. I contacted Dexter and asked if the warenttee would be honored under these conditions. They said if the axles are overloaded they would not be covered. I contacted Jayco and I am waiting for their them to call back. The cargo capacity stated on the factory sticker is 2600 pounds. With the axle capacity at 12000 pounds my true cargo capacity is only less than 400 pounds with a full load of fresh water. We dry camp and need to travel with water often.
Unless this trailer loads most of its cargo towards the front, a basic calc shows the axles to be overloaded at GVW by about 700 lbs, and, as you say, this is just static loading. This thing should have 7200 lb axles under it, IMO. I'd call your dealer and see if they can get Jayco to replace the axles, as you should be able to safely tow that thing at the 15,950 lb GVW spec'd for it. Also, the nickname for those tires is "BlowMaster". Either get a good set of LTs like Michelin XPS Ribs or Bridgestone Duravis R250s or jump up to the GY G614 or the equivalent Sailun tires, but you have to have 110 psi-rated wheels. The better option, so I've been told, is the 17.5" wheels and tires. Of course, having good tires does nothing for the overloaded axles. If your dealer can't, or won't, deal with Jayco, then call them directly and climb the "responsibility ladder". If you get stonewalled, then it's either attorney time, or you simply buy yourself a set of new axles and sell the old ones to offset the cost. Gives yourself an excuse to install as set of wet bolts and bronze bushings. :-/

Lyle
LAKnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:07 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I'd like to know this too. I'm wondering if the wheel may be a limiting upgrade factor for some of us?
Wheels are stamped with max psi rating. Either on the back side of the bead or, more rarely, in the valley inside, necessitating a tire break-down. Don't forget that, if you do jump up in wheel capacity, to make sure you get zero offset wheels or you'll lunch your bearings PDQ.

Lyle
Old 08-19-2015, 11:11 PM   #70

Quote:
My stock rims are max capacity of 3580. They have a stamp on the back. The trailertiresandwheels.com guy said they are also probably only rated for 80 PSI. Since I need to upgrade the rims, I am going to 17.5 inch lynx rims with 215/75 R 17.5 Sailun tires. They are chinese but are load range H and have a 4800 pound capacity rather than 3520 that the Tomax has. They are also rated for 75 miles ler hour, Towmax 65. I ussually cruise around 62, the 75 mph rating should make them run cooler. I just found out today, Jayco installed the wrong axles. They installed 6000 pound capacity not 7000. They are going to replace the axles but I am on my own for tires and wheels. Before this fifthwheel I had a TT and went through eight Goodyear marathon tires due to tread separation. I switched to an off brand chinese tire and the tread separation problem went away. I would have paid for a Jayco tire and wheel upgrade if I knew you could get one.
Glad to see Jayco stepping up and acknowledging their mistake before it =really= cost them. Personally, I'd like to see the 7200 lb axles, but 7000 is a whole lot better! FWIW, I'm looking at an Eagle HT and saw they're offering a 16" Maxxis 8008 upgrade...on a 9950 lb GVW FW. Now =that's= overkill, IMO, but it's a start. :-)

Lyle
Old 08-19-2015, 11:18 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCamper View Post
When I put mine on I argued with the "kid" at the tire shop they needed to be balanced. He said there was no point. I said why not? He balanced them. For Chinese tires I was impressed the first three balanced out all under 5 oz the 4th took 13 oz.
Lazy kid; he should have broken that last one down and rotated it 90 or 180 degrees and tried again.

Lyle
Old 08-19-2015, 11:23 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I hate to say it, from observations most of the people are not as well informed as those who actively interact on an RV forum. Must of us have seen and heard of tire issue and limitations.

I have a friend with a close to a 9K pound TT, he does not think twice at pulling it at 75-85 mph. I have talked with many who never check their tire pressures. Others who don't know anything about maximum tow capacity of their vehicle. Boaters seem to be the worst.
The dealer I bought my current (for sale) FW from, was a friend, but never informed me about the 65 mph limit on ST tires. I never knew about it until I got online a couple years afterward and started reading about tire failures. I'd already had one China bomb go off in my 2nd year and < 1,000 total miles.

Lyle
Old 08-19-2015, 11:25 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncw View Post
This year, on the Eagle HT FWs, that I know of.

Lyle
Old 08-27-2015, 08:38 PM   #74

Here is an update: The 7000 pound axles provided by Jayco are in. Jayco mistakenly installed 6000 pound capacity axles when they assembled my 2015 36KTPS. The axle appointment is one week from today. I already installed the new tires and wheels. Too bad I had to cancel a trip to Caleveras BigTrees State Park. Oh well hopefylly back on the road soon.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:06 PM   #75

Quote:
Here is an update: The 7000 pound axles provided by Jayco are in. Jayco mistakenly installed 6000 pound capacity axles when they assembled my 2015 36KTPS. The axle appointment is one week from today. I already installed the new tires and wheels. Too bad I had to cancel a trip to Caleveras BigTrees State Park. Oh well hopefylly back on the road soon.
This is the kind of thing that's making me a bit leery about Jayco, despite their normally good rep.

Lyle
Old 08-28-2015, 01:14 AM   #76

Did they say how you ended up with 6000lb axels?
MOCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:34 AM   #77

He said he did not know how it happened but after checking the build records he confirmed that they were the wrong ones. I called Dexter axle first and they told me the warentee would be void if the axles are overloaded. I passed that on to Jayco when I contacted them. That step probably saved me a lot of greif.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:40 AM   #78

How can the rest of us with 7k axles check visually, or is that impossible?
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:32 AM   #79
Site Team

The axles on my rig made by Dexter have a sticker on each axle with the rating.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 08-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
The axles on my rig made by Dexter have a sticker on each axle with the rating.
Mine too, but I'm not sure how long the sticker will last?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote