Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2019, 01:09 PM   #21
msb

I don't have a fifth wheel, but I love this on my RAM--retracts at 12" intervals so you can run it closed, open, or partial, and I they hold like 500 lbs. And it's metal, burly, secure, and about 99% water tight. And it doesn't move when driving--no weird waiving or flapping:

Truck Covers USA | The Finest Roll Covers & Accessories on Earth
Old 04-10-2019, 01:12 PM   #22

I have a Tonna Pro tri fold on my truck. Here in Colorado when
closed it keeps the rain and snow out of the truck bed.
It cost about $300 on Amazon prime.

Give a measure of security when closed and when towing I usually
only have leveling boards back there.

I also have two cable locks connected by a padlock across the back
of the bed if I feel a need to secure an item such as gas or diesel
fuel cans.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:17 PM   #23

Bed Cover

I have a Retrax fully retractable bed cover that works with a remote control. It is a wonderful system that works perfectly with the 5th wheel hitch in my bed. The system is completely variable allowing you to retract the cover as much as needed.

When fully closed it completely covers the bed and hitch. With my locking tailgate is secures the bed and hitch. Great system that also look nice on the truck.
sail154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:39 PM   #24

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

The verdict is in: I'm going with a Peragon.

After brushing up on bed covers, it seems they all have compromises.

I wanted a more "upscale" looking cover, given the "upscale" look of my new tow vehicle, so that ruled out the canvas material covers for me.

I also wanted the ability to use my whole bed if needed, which happens time to time, so that ruled out the rolling type since you lost 8-10" of bed capacity by the cab to house the box that the cover rolls into. While the Peragon folds up into that same space when retracted, you can quickly remove it from the bed if needed.

With the cover retracted, I wanted to be able to see into the bed from the rear window when hitching, so that ruled out the BAK Revolver and any tri-fold type covers.

I didn't want to spend $1,800-2,000 for an upscale looking cover, and the Peragon comes in at around $1k since they only sell direct (no markup for dealer resale margin).

Compromises I'm making: finding a way to deal with leaving some space beneath the rear panels to allow it to fold in. A cargo bar should do the trick. And there are reports that it is not 100% waterproof, but I don't need it to be with what I normally carry.

100 day 100% money back guarantee, including return shipping, so I'll have all summer to determine if this is the final verdict.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #25

Truxedo bed cover

I have the Truxedo Bed cover. It is a roll up with aluminum slats. It has locks along the sides as well at the rear. As long as the truck tail gate is locked, it is secure. These are also great people to work with!
https://truxedo.com
Attached Thumbnails
Truxedo bed cover.JPG  
Tuckerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #26

Trifecta

We use a trifecta trifold on our Check 2500. It is the 3 rd one (different trucks) have had roll up on other trucks and too many snaps. No issues and easy for one person to install, remove and fold up.
Kelly K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:50 PM   #27

The best bed cover hands down is the diamondback. It’s actually built to last forever and will be more weather proof than anything. Problem with the best is it comes with the best price lol.
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:08 PM   #28

I've had an UnderCover one-piece removable hard tonneau cover for the last 3 trucks I've owned. When installed, it's 99% watertight - the only time I've had any water in the bed is going through a touchless car wash. It's sturdy enough you can walk on it, yet it only weighs about 50lbs. I can remove it myself in about 5 minutes, and it comes with a hook to hang it in a garage when not being used. Price was a little under $900 installed.
sippelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
The best bed cover hands down is the diamondback. It’s actually built to last forever and will be more weather proof than anything. Problem with the best is it comes with the best price lol.
I looked at those but couldn’t see how you’d use a 5th wheel with them. Nicely made, but not flexible enough for my use.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old 04-10-2019, 06:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I use this soft rollup cover https://yukontrail.blazonco.com/soft-tonneau-covers

I have an aux tank in my bed as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
I looked at those but couldn’t see how you’d use a 5th wheel with them. Nicely made, but not flexible enough for my use.
I'm telling you this thing is great! It rolls up so I can see to hook up the 5er & it "locks" until you open the tailgate...until you cut it with a knife. For me...the best thing it does is "lock" until I open the tailgate. Just my ................$.02.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:54 PM   #31

Retrax. None better. Works good, lasts long time.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:26 PM   #32
TJR

Bed Covers

I use Fold A Cover on a short bed gmc drama and tow a 5th wheel. You can add what they call a personal caddy (tool box) in the front of 4 sections. When towing the rear 3 sections fold on top of the front section and this gives good access to the hitch. It does add a little height to the section next to the cab so you have to be careful on a tight turn on rough terrain so as to not hit it with the trailer. I have not had a problem in over 10 years. The tool box can be accessed with the trailer hitched up by stacking the rear 3 sections in an A frame configuration. If I were to get a new pickup I would get the fold a cover again with the tool box.

https://www.foldacover.com/products/...-fold-a-cover/
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

The verdict is in: I'm going with a Peragon.

After brushing up on bed covers, it seems they all have compromises.

I wanted a more "upscale" looking cover, given the "upscale" look of my new tow vehicle, so that ruled out the canvas material covers for me.

I also wanted the ability to use my whole bed if needed, which happens time to time, so that ruled out the rolling type since you lost 8-10" of bed capacity by the cab to house the box that the cover rolls into. While the Peragon folds up into that same space when retracted, you can quickly remove it from the bed if needed.

With the cover retracted, I wanted to be able to see into the bed from the rear window when hitching, so that ruled out the BAK Revolver and any tri-fold type covers.

I didn't want to spend $1,800-2,000 for an upscale looking cover, and the Peragon comes in at around $1k since they only sell direct (no markup for dealer resale margin).

Compromises I'm making: finding a way to deal with leaving some space beneath the rear panels to allow it to fold in. A cargo bar should do the trick. And there are reports that it is not 100% waterproof, but I don't need it to be with what I normally carry.

100 day 100% money back guarantee, including return shipping, so I'll have all summer to determine if this is the final verdict.
Keep in mind that you will also lose a couple of inches on each side to accommodate the rails. I use a Torza Top tri fold. It is easy on and easy off. It takes 20 mins to install.
FashaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashaPa View Post
Keep in mind that you will also lose a couple of inches on each side to accommodate the rails. I use a Torza Top tri fold. It is easy on and easy off. It takes 20 mins to install.
Yep, quickly learned that if I wanted low profile, metal, and retractable, there was no way around losing some width to rails.

Peragon has a quick clamp connector design that requires just 6 nuts to be loosened and the whole rail system can be easily removed.

The truck manufacturers need to design an integrated cover that can retract below the bed. Zero loss of bed volume, and clean integrated look. They'd own the entire bed cover market, since labor cost to install something like that would put them at a huge advantage, being done during vehicle assembly.

Given how vehicle manufacturers are doubling down on the light truck category, with Ford even eliminating all their sedans, I'm surprised this type of functionality hasn't already happened. Talk about a big trunk!

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old 04-11-2019, 10:27 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post
BAKFlip MX4

[IMG][/IMG]
Would your Bakflip have enough clearance for either a pair of Honda or Champion gens? Or a 3000 Champion?
Thanks
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:40 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
Would your Bakflip have enough clearance for either a pair of Honda or Champion gens? Or a 3000 Champion?
Thanks

No problem.

[IMG][/IMG]
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:43 PM   #37

I too have the Bakflip MX4 and really like it. They have great customer service. I have an RDS 60 gallon auxiliary tank, the Pullrite 2600 Superlite fifth wheel hitch, and room for my Champion generator in my long bed all fitting under the Bakflip. It's not 100% watertight but I don't care about that any more, now that I know it leaks at spots. They sent me a paint pen to touch up scratches, and a whole roll of the 3m cushion pad as they tend to come off in this Texas heat.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:42 PM   #38
DGW

I have a bakflip toneau on my Ram 2500 short bed. Works perfectly folded 3 qtrs.

https://bakindustries.com/bakflip-mx4
DGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:18 AM   #39

I have had my BakFlip cover since 2006 I had it for all of my trucks, my 2006,2011,2014,2016 and now for my 2017 ram SB.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #40

On my F250 SHORT BED.. I used to have a Lund Trifold vinyl.. loved it.. But later wanted a low profile cross over deep toolbox/storage.. after having that for a year.. ordered a trifold cover that starts at the rear of the toolbox and secures the cargo area. I use the Pullrite Superglide hitch. I also have a portable detachment for my backup camera that I pull out at set on the toolbox to back up to the 5ver pinbox. That same unit has a built in 4 hr battery system wireless that I put on the back on my 43 5ver to use to back in to CG sites and infra red to help with night time back Ins.

I can take the cover complete off in less than 5 minutes and store in basement or inside my Jayco while towing my camper. Then install it for once unhooked..(if I want too) and no rails to worry about clearances of bed height or backing etc.

That cover is about $400 range.

Bill & Sherry Spratt
937-830-1980
William_Tell46 is offline   Reply With Quote