Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2023, 01:46 PM   #1

Too bouncy!!

Just wondering if putting shock absorbers on really helps?
2023 31MB
We travel light , don’t haul H2O and
don’t pack everything and the kitchen sink LOL ! But that thing bounces like crazy going over rough bridges (dips)
Appreciate any feedback. Thanks
5th wheeler JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 01:54 PM   #2

Check your tire pressure. Sidewall pressure on the tires is for max load. For example, on mine they are rated 65 PSI max but my load per tire was actually between 50 and 55 PSI per the Goodyear tire chart for that tire. I dropped my PSI from 65 after everything was bounced out of the kitchen cabinets to 55 and much smoother ride.
Second item is the spring system may have broken, cracked, or if torsion been damaged and you don't have any springs left. If you have shocks, they can go bad also.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 02:41 PM   #3

An empty, or lightly loaded trailer, will bounce a lot more than one carrying a load. Perhaps if you did load a bit heavier the problem might be solved. Have you scaled the trailer when it's loaded for travel?

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 05:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Check your tire pressure. Sidewall pressure on the tires is for max load. For example, on mine they are rated 65 PSI max but my load per tire was actually between 50 and 55 PSI per the Goodyear tire chart for that tire. I dropped my PSI from 65 after everything was bounced out of the kitchen cabinets to 55 and much smoother ride.
Second item is the spring system may have broken, cracked, or if torsion been damaged and you don't have any springs left. If you have shocks, they can go bad also.
Thanks I’ll try that.
Better not be a spring problem, brand new less than 3,000 miles ��
Old 03-18-2023, 05:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
An empty, or lightly loaded trailer, will bounce a lot more than one carrying a load. Perhaps if you did load a bit heavier the problem might be solved. Have you scaled the trailer when it's loaded for travel?
No never weighed it.
Probably between 500 to 700 lbs max.
Thanks. JJ
Old 03-21-2023, 11:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th wheeler JJ View Post
No never weighed it.
Probably between 500 to 700 lbs max.
Thanks. JJ
Find a public scale. Make sure your rig is loaded as when traveling. You'll need to get total weight. Then drive off stopping to get weighed as each axle leaves the platform. Then drop the trailer and get the trailer only weight. From here you'll know what is going on weight wise.

I struggled with bouncing for years. The back of my 5th was a disaster area after a rough section of road. I found two problems that weighing the rig helped me figure the problem. First the Eagle Half Ton was pressing almost 20% of its weight on the pin. What this was causing the rear suspension of the truck to bottom out. This would launch the pin box up as we passed over a bump. Thus forcing the rear of the trailer down. As the trailer axles passed of that bump, weight shifted forward pressing down on the pin, causing the truck to bottom out again. Any bumps were just miserable.

First thing was to replace the 50K miles factory shocks on the truck. I opted for Bilsteins. That was an immediate improvement. I then emptied all the tanks on a trip which improved the bouncing. Next I cut the bump stops on the truck rear axle for a few more inches of travel. Thus another improvement. And last the pin weight needed to be reduced some. Since my fresh water tank is behind the rear axle, I can add balance weight to unload the pin. I found a half tank (20 gals or 166lbs) worked best to dampen the bounce even further. I prefer to hold no wore than 30% water or 14gal/116lbs.

These changes have altered the ride significantly. Its still a 3/4 ton truck hauling 8000 pounds of RV. Nobody said it would be like driving a Cadillac.
I developed a fundamental spread sheet that does some calculations for determining GVW,pin weight and such. Message me if you're interested with your email address, I'll send you a copy. Safe travels.
Old 03-22-2023, 06:11 AM   #7

Yes they will make a big difference. I installed shocks last year and it was a good investment. Takes the majority of bounce away. No more coming out of my seat when we go over a uneven viaducts.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 06:22 AM   #8

Thanks for your input !
Old 03-22-2023, 06:37 AM   #9

We put airbags on the truck (about 50# of air works for us).
Then stronger leaf springs on the trailer and then Sumo springs on the trailer.
We have gone from scary bouncing at every concrete joint or bridge transition to an almost perfectly smooth ride. Only an occasional bridge will surprise us now, and it's nowhere as bad.
Our truck now rides better with the trailer than without it.

With the heavier springs we have not noticed things bouncing around inside the trailer any more than usual.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:12 AM   #10

I got airbags on the truck! Man what a difference they made !! Thought it was going to break the leafs on the truck.
I seen those sumo springs on YouTube,
$$$ for 4 pcs of rubber !
Didn’t know which way to go shocks or sumo springs. Sumo’s are Definitely a lot easier! LoL
Old 03-22-2023, 08:17 AM   #11

I’ll chime in on the Sumo springs being an expensive but GREAT addition. I watched their videos and the idea made sense. After installing them I can’t believe the difference it makes. Now the truck and trailer feel combined like one big motor home. Easy to install and definitely worth the money for the difference they make.
Randyman69357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:10 AM   #12

FWIW I have a set of almost new Airlift airbags that fit a 2015+ 2500 Silverado. includes the remote. I paid 1500. PM me if your interested.
Old 03-22-2023, 01:07 PM   #13

Look for my thread titled “Nose High and Bouncy”. All I had to do was adjust the hitch by lowering it 1 inch and moving it forward 2 inches.

It’s like a whole new ride and all of the bounce is gone.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 08:11 PM   #14

Too bouncy!

Still can’t find shocks for my 2023 mb31.
Jayco designed the mounts that came with the 4 star handling package.
The dealer emailed them 4 weeks ago and still haven’t gotten a reply!
How can they design these mounts and there’s nothing that will fit. ???
Has anyone else had this issue.