Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2021, 12:45 PM   #21

Tires

I've been very happy with Michelin. Wearing well with proper PSI and rotation.
2019 F-250 Super Duty towing 25 ft. TT.
mcwoods2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 12:51 PM   #22

If you're not concerned with snow, the Michelin Defender is a great Load E road tire. A good blend of tread in Michelin are the LTX A/T 2's.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 01:41 PM   #23

For several decades before starting this whole new great RV thing we did a lot of 4WD off-roading and primitive tenting. During that time ran BFG All Terrains and loved them. Great off-road tire!

When it came to pulling a trailer rather than rock crawling I got this Tahoe with Michelin LTX A/T E. What a great all season tire, really strong, smooth, quiet, and I'm spoiled again. It has a highway tread but I've never needed more in Michigan winters.

Now I need new tires. Thought I could never do without my BFGs now thinking the same about my LTX A/Ts. Doing a lot of reading and research - tires cost a bundle nowadays, especially for a ten ply.

I've gone to Discount Tire almost exclusively for ~40 years - they're great and will get whatever you want or mount whatever you get. There are cheap crummy tires out there, but a lot of really good ones from several great brands as well.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 03:13 PM   #24

Trying to keep my bias out of this, I won't tell you what tires I went for. Did buy them at Discount Tire, but did a lot of research on TIRE RACK website. The tires get rated on quite a few criteria based on many thousands of reviews and many thousands of miles driven.

Good luck in your choice.
You live and learn, or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 03:30 PM   #25

Here's my .02 also. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 4x4 and just switched from Goodyear Wrangler P seris ( passanger tires ) to Michelin LTX truck tires. I can't beleive the difference. Don't think it's nessicarily the Michelin as much as the truck tire change.
jimi1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:09 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTrains View Post
I guess I need help on how to use the search item on the forum
The search function in the forum software is not very good. It is what it is. Use the method listed in this thread: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...rum-37615.html

It is highlighted in blue in my sig. it is a google search engine that is JOF forum specific. Tell everyone about it!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:35 AM   #27

I'm running Cooper Discovery a/t's III XLT and getting ready to buy another set soon I love these tires they are very smooth and you can tow heavy with these.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:23 AM   #28

Tires for 2018 RAM 3500 Dually

Take the time w/ Discount Tire to order Yokohama Geolander or the Michelin.

I'm also a Goodyear guy but they don't make a suitable option for our trucks.

I tow a 2018 Jayco Seismic 4212 often running around 18K lbs. loaded.

My RAM is also a 3500 Dually w/ the H.O. (AISIN trans), 32K tow rating.
WFOracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:42 AM   #29

Although often discussed, things like tires and batteries change on a regular basis. Models, quality (even within one manufacturer), availability, etc. On tires, what was good two years ago may now be discontinued (mine were).

Tires and brakes are pretty important to me. If the engine quits, I'm stranded. If the tires or brakes quit, I'm scattered.

For tires, I usually go to Discount Tire and ask for the best available for my use.
So far, so good.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 02:29 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFOracing View Post
Take the time w/ Discount Tire to order Yokohama Geolander or the Michelin.

I'm also a Goodyear guy but they don't make a suitable option for our trucks.

I tow a 2018 Jayco Seismic 4212 often running around 18K lbs. loaded.

My RAM is also a 3500 Dually w/ the H.O. (AISIN trans), 32K tow rating.
Yokohama's will be my next set of tires. I liked the Coopers until Goodyear bought them out.... Yokohama gets very good reviews, more and more pople are going with them.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:16 PM   #31

Quote:
Thanks to all for taking time to reply.

I think I am going to step up and give the Michelin’s a try - pricy but, it seems worth the performance.
I had Michelin on my truck for years and I really liked them the ride was really good and the wear was great also. I put new tires on the rear (4 Cooper Discoverer HT3 LT 235/85R16) in May 0f 2020 (Made in the USA). I would have put Michelins back on but Michelin no longer makes the Michelin LTX MS2 in my tire size. The replacement for the LTX MS2 in my size got really bad reviews on line and from my local tire dealer, who by the way is local and his prices are better than Discount Tire. I am very pleased with the Coopers so far, they are quiet and ride almost as good as the Michelins and show less sidewall flex than the Michelin when hitched to the camper. Good luck on finding new tires. Happy Camping and God Bless.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:17 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
Yokohama's will be my next set of tires. I liked the Coopers until Goodyear bought them out.... Yokohama gets very good reviews, more and more pople are going with them.
I hope you have good luck with them. My experience with them was horrible. They were the previous set of tires I had on my "work" truck ('14 Chevy 2500). They lasted about 17k miles and were VERY loud. My partner had a set on his "work" truck ('19 Ram 1500 Classic) and they were the same for him, although I think he got 22k miles out of them...and they were loud on his truck as well.

The current tire on my "work" truck are the Firestone Transforce AT3's and they have been great thus far. I've had them on for about a year now.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:05 AM   #33

Quote:
this has propbly been discussed before but, I am ready to change tires on my tow truck. I have a 2018 RAM 3500 Dually. I am currently running Firestone Transforce HT 235-70R-17 tires and not real happy with wear. The only other 2 I would consider would be Good Year, Michilen, or stay with Firestone.

What would be your thoughts and why?
FALKEN WILDPEAK All the way!! 3rd set in 10 years. Nothing but fantastic luck and things to say.
Camperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:14 AM   #34

I had no luck with the AT/2 Michelin's... on 2 vehicles...

a one ton and a avalanche
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:04 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
I had no luck with the AT/2 Michelin's... on 2 vehicles...

a one ton and a avalanche

When you say no luck, what was the issue?
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:43 PM   #36
Kmo

I am trying a set (6) Cooper SST Max's 255/80/17's, I have been a die hard Goodyear Duratrak guy until it was time for a change. I have them on my 2007 Dodge Dually and I pull a 2017 Seismic 4213.
Kmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:58 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
I'll throw my $.02 in here since I've been thru MANY sets of tires over the years.
Honestly, it's a crap shoot. Lol! What works for some dont always work for others. I see there have been a few votes on the Coopers. I ran a couple sets of Coopers on a truck YEARS ago and they held up and worked great. I put a set of Coopers on my 99 Cummins some years back and couldnt keep them balanced and they wore horribly and wore out fast. I tried them again a few years ago on my Yukon XL and same results. My Yukon came with Firestone's on it from the factory and that set held up REALLY well, 70k on them. I put the same exact tire back on and they were junk in 35k. Michelin's are on it now. My Cummins came with Michelin LTX MS from the factory and those held up very well. I also had a set of Toyo's on it and a set of Nitto's on it and both those were the absolute worst sets of tires I've ever owned. I did run a set of used Transforce tires on it just as a get me by for like 6mo so I could put a new set of tires on for the winter and they were ok, but... My 11 DRW Duramax had Michelin LTX MS from the factory and they were gone at 55-60k, but all that truck did was pull trailers. I replaced them with the same Michelin's, drove it until it had 65k on the clock and traded it in, emissions issues. My 15 DRW Duramax has Michelin LTX MS on it and they got 20k on them and seem to be doing fairly well. I'll prolly get 50-60k out of them as well and all that truck does is pull our Northpoint.
My votel is for the Michelin LTX MS if you can get them in your size. If not itll probably be the Defender series. The Defender's is what's on my Yukon and they are holding up well and work well on it, but that vehicle doesn't do any towing so I should get some good mileage out of them.
My $.02, I think you'll be happy with the Michelin brand. I have been. Everyone says the same, they are a bit pricey, but....

X2, I had Michelin LTX MS on one of my truck and man they where very smooth.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:30 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
When you say no luck, what was the issue?
poor traction compared to the replacements and they wore out on my one ton in 25k.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:31 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camperdude View Post
FALKEN WILDPEAK All the way!! 3rd set in 10 years. Nothing but fantastic luck and things to say.
I wanted to love these but they didn't behave on my GMC.. cause steering wheel oscillations. Discount tire replaced them without issue.
Old 09-17-2021, 02:16 PM   #40

Bought the Michilens

Lots of great comments appreciated - it seems tire "likes" are all over the place.

I only needed front tires so I am trying a pair of Michilen LTX A/T2 LT235/80R17 these are "Off Road" but were actually recomended by Michelin as the best choice for my use. I am going to try them.

First thing I noticed is how quite and smooth they ride compared to my Firestone Transforce. One thing that was pointed out to me is the wide tread groove does not grab rocks and kick them out like the narrow highway tread does - very important to my full body paint job on my Pinnacle.

It will be awhile yet before I need to replace the 4 on the back so we'll see how these do on the front and decide later.
GeorgiaTrains is offline   Reply With Quote