Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-20-2021, 09:26 PM   #21

check to see if they have an adapter that plugs into the mirror.. if you have power at your mirror... Like I said i am cheap so i didn't spend the extra for the plug n play...
i also added a radar detector at the same time... and boy does that work too!
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:34 PM   #22

Now I try that once before, I don't know for sure but when I was done that way my truck was acting funny, it would start up and then later it would turn off, dodges put a lot of different wiring in my truck you can't just tap into the wiring without it not working properly.

There might be a way and in all of my search I have seen where some rams owner did tap into the mirror wiring so I can of rule that out but I might rethink that those.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:54 PM   #23

Dash cam

I have dash cams for each of my cars and my tow vehicle. We use Owlcam’s and they are great. Not the cheapest but they are really well made and send loops to my phone. Check them out
garyrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:03 PM   #24

If you are not sure if it is worth it, there are many of them out there at very reasonable prices. I have three of the AUKEY mini dash cams that I paid between $35 and $40 each for. They claim to be 1080p but who knows. I have only mounted one so far in my TV and it seems to work pretty well and gets very good reviews on Amazon. I have not tried to extract any license plate number from it yet but that is not what I wanted it for. You will need to add a micro SD and a hard wire kit if that is the route you want to go but you may be $60 all in. You can always upgrade later once you determine what your desired level of quality is.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
20201228_090858.jpg  
Old 01-23-2021, 02:13 PM   #25

Great post as the world turns, son bought me that unit for Christmas and I just opened the package yesterday. I was thinking, do I really need to mess with this. Now I know. Thanks.
GaryNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Yes dash cam are very worth it, I have been having one for 12+ years and I am thinking about upgrading to Blackvue DR750X, it does everything it even cook your food, (JJ ). The camera that I'm thinking about getting it's a little spendy but this is what I'm leaning toward to for now.

I have a good friend of mines who where a long time police officer, I told him what people was doing just to get money from your insurance. They would get in front of you and another driver would station themselves in the back. The in the front would slam on brake making you to hit them in their back to get money from your insurance.

So yeah they are very worth getting one.
Big1,
I had the almost very same thing happen to me. I was driving down a 35 MPH 3 lane street in the city and this guy comes up along side me and starts playing games. I try to back off. So, he slows down, I speed up and he does the same. Finally, I set my speed at 35 and watched to see what he was going to do. He cuts in front of me at a 30 degree angle and slams on his brakes. Yes, I hit his back passenger corner. The police came. Charged me with failure to maintain distance and tailgating (Something like that, I don't remember). I took it to court. 4 people also showed up and testified that he was reckless and careless driving, speeding and cutting people off for about 1 1/2 miles before he even got to me. Police found out he had several reckless driving charges previously. He lost his license.

I was very grateful those folks showed up because no one except 1 person stopped at the accident scene. I did not have a dash cam. I do now!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:21 PM   #27

Camera

If considering a camera, make sure you consider the legal ramifications. They are different between states. It also will be used to convict you if the accident turns out to be your fault. If you decide to not tell the police about it at a accident you can be charged with withholding information. At least in Florida. Don’t ask how I know!
Snowmanmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:28 PM   #28

What camera?
GaryNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:28 PM   #29

Apeman C450. Great quality, price & features
daveswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:41 PM   #30

Great information everybody. Thanks
Old 01-23-2021, 06:39 PM   #31

Has anyone ever used a go pro for a dash cam? I was thinking along these lines so I would also be able have it for other uses
KWDAILYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:57 PM   #32

One thing to do with almost all the dash cams out there. They have built in "crash sensors" that lock the recording of several minutes before and possibly after the "event". Unfortunately, most will feel a hard stop, bump in the road or even going over a speed bump as an event.

My instructions suggested checking to make sure that there was enough space remaining and re-formatting occasionally to get rid of these saved Events that are not needed.

Hate to have a dash cam that has no space on it to record that idiot running the light and hitting me!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:35 PM   #33

We have been running a VIOFO for 3 years now and it works great. If my key is on it is on. Also have a blue tooth button on the dash. When pushed it will archive the video to prevent it for over writing that spot of video. Off hand I don't remember the model number but is cost around 100.00 back when I got it. The year before I rigged a Go Pro but I like the VIOFO a lot better. I have a 32 GB card in it. I think I can go up to 64 GB. Oh and VIOFO has an app that will send the video real time to an Android phone or tablet if you wanted it to along with the menu for adjustments/function.
hwy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:37 PM   #34

Dash cam

I have one in my tow vehicle. Wheel Witness. Got it from Amazon and have had it for about 3 years now.
Dieseldog59 is offline   Reply With Quote