Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-27-2020, 09:47 AM   #1

Tow vehicle tires cupping

I put brand new AT tires on my F350 DRW before our trip to Utah this summer. I have a Northpoint 379DBFS. I do have airbags on the TV as well. I put about 5000 miles on the tires out to Utah and another 5000 miles at home (with no towing to speak of) before I found a day to have my tires rotated. The tire place called and said my front tires were cupped pretty bad, inside and outside. And either needed to be replaced or they could put both of them in the rear. My question to them was why did the new tires cup? It doesn’t make any sense to me. And all they could come up with is that I was towing a heavy load and didn’t rotate my tires every 3000 miles. Any truth to this statement or is there another underlying problem with my truck or my setup entirely?
dmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:02 AM   #2

Shocks, balance or alignment could all cause cupping..
Old 09-27-2020, 11:03 AM   #3

Common, must keep them balanced and rotated. Never skip on rotation. Once cupped, they will never wear true and get loud. Some vehicles are more prone to cup than others. To get good life from your tires, keep them balanced, rotated and correct air pressure. Not to mention suspension and steering inspections. Alignment should be checked when new tires are installed and any odd steering issues or tire wear.

If you pay attention to your vehicle, it will give you warnings. Look at your tires often for any bad wearing. If caught early, you can save them. Same with any steering or suspension issues.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:15 PM   #4

Here is some good info on the subject.
Tire Wear – Tire Cupping, Causes and Correction – Atlantic Motorcar
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:07 PM   #5

Thank you
Old 09-27-2020, 01:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoore View Post
I put brand new AT tires on my F350 DRW before our trip to Utah this summer. I have a Northpoint 379DBFS. I do have airbags on the TV as well. I put about 5000 miles on the tires out to Utah and another 5000 miles at home (with no towing to speak of) before I found a day to have my tires rotated. The tire place called and said my front tires were cupped pretty bad, inside and outside. And either needed to be replaced or they could put both of them in the rear. My question to them was why did the new tires cup? It doesn’t make any sense to me. And all they could come up with is that I was towing a heavy load and didn’t rotate my tires every 3000 miles. Any truth to this statement or is there another underlying problem with my truck or my setup entirely?
You haven’t mentioned what PSI you were running. I run a chalk test every time I put new tires on and again after about 800 miles, this determines what is the correct tire pressure for even wear. I also run Centramatic Balancers on my F350 Dually, I don’t need to balance my tires any more. I have almost 11K on my Falken ATW3, they still look new despite the fact they’ve never been balanced by a shop. I’ve provided links below...

https://www.centramatic.com/balancers.rhtml

https://youtu.be/ullnFQD4F1I
Old 09-30-2020, 12:07 PM   #7

I run with 75 psi in the front and 65 in the rear. I’m going to look into the balancers thank you.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:44 PM   #8

Often is is due to wheels out of balance or suspension issues.

Here is a simple article on the subject, page 3;
https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...r-car/?slide=3

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:11 PM   #9

Thank you. That was my concern to the tire place, that’s it’s some other issue. They said they checked the front end and everything was fine. We shall see.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:03 PM   #10

Quote:

what year? do you have those "awesome" stock shocks? if so get bilstienes or something similar.. upgrade those crappy shocks....
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:11 PM   #11

It’s a 2019. And yes it’s the stock shocks. I’ll look into those as well. Thank you
Old 09-30-2020, 02:13 PM   #12

Quote:
It’s a 2019. And yes it’s the stock shocks. I’ll look into those as well. Thank you
i replaced them on my 2010 ford at 5k miles and 3 of the 4 wouldn't extend.. my 2019 GMC has the same awesome ones.. and 4 of 4 wouldn't extend when I removed them at 5k as well... I put on some 5100's and it rides sooo much better.. i used the rancho 9000xl's on the ford and it was a way better ride as well... the adjustable shocks though are great till they freeze up and don't adjust... and the warranty is lacking on the adjusters.
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote