Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2019, 10:26 PM   #21

Thanks Kway for your honest response. I too had an F-150 Lariat gas truck that I loved. As I started to research how much I could dump in the bed I started to get nervous. So I bought an F-250 Lariat 6.7 Diesel that I loved even more. I thought I was all set. And then when I went shopping for 5th wheels and my wife wanted bigger and better. Before I knew it I was looking at a Northpoint 377RLBH so our grandkids could come camping with us (which they don’t!) I heard from my RV dealer that my f-250 didn’t have the payload capacity for this size camper, and believe it or not wouldn’t sell it to me. After a few more months of research I traded my F-250 for an F-350. Keep in mind that these were not old trucks, and I lost my shirt trading in three relatively new trucks in a 15 month time span. So as I mentioned in my previous post, I’m probably over the limit with what the manufacturers are claiming I can put in the bed of my truck. So my whole point in saying all of this, is that if I’m stressing out over being over a little, it just struck me funny that you were cool with it all and yet your truck was only a half ton. That’s it! I was not being condescending or judgmental, nor the slightest bit disparaging. I’m glad you’re confident, and you’ll probably never have any issues at all, because I really do believe manufacturers rate these vehicles way below the critical mass point. Hey, we’re Jayco owners and we’re friends, okay?
K Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:02 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kway3 View Post
It’s not a case of not wanting to know, it’s not being worried about it. I’m more concerned with the ride, the way the truck pulls, stops and handles than I am with being 300 lbs over or under my payload.
Like I said, I was very pleased with how the truck performed on my most recent trip. It pulled, handled and stopped almost as well as my 3/4 ton diesel did with our old trailer.
Almost as well is the key phrase. Your call, but on the freeway when the idiot in front or beside you does something unexpected, I hope that almost as well is enough.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:49 AM   #23

[QUOTE=cariboocreek;772630]Almost as well is the key phrase. Your call, but on the freeway when the idiot in front or beside you does something unexpected, I hope that almost as well is enough.[/QUOTE

Stopping distance and ride are very comparable between the two. Pulling power is a whole different story. But for $15000 difference between a comparably figured F250 with a diesel, I can put up with a few more downshifts!
To be honest I’d much rather try to stop my 15000lbs combined weight than the 25-30000lbs combined that some of these duallies that are on the road are. Disc brakes will only work so well.
Kway3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:02 AM   #24

Quote:
Maybe someone can explain this to me. I have set my truck up perfect. Everything is within specs. My pin weight is 1500 lbs. That weight is over my rear axle. My buddy “Bubba” comes camping with me. He’s 350 lbs. Now I’m 350 lbs over my payload. Bubba is sitting in the front passenger seat. How does Bubbas extra weight that is 75% to the front right of the truck all of a sudden get shifted to the fifth wheel of my truck, causing catastrophic damage to my trucks axle and tires?
It doesn’t. But the door sticker says the weight of cargo and passengers.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:18 PM   #25

I think you guys are feeding the fire for kway, his only posts are right here on this subject, if he drives a truck, he better be nit picking over weight , or pay the fines, I think we have a troll
twin88cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin88cam View Post
I think you guys are feeding the fire for kway, his only posts are right here on this subject, if he drives a truck, he better be nit picking over weight , or pay the fines, I think we have a troll
You kind of have me over a barrel. If I respond, I’m a troll but if I don’t responded I’m also a troll.
I’ve been a member for 5 months and all of a sudden decided I have nothing better to do in my life than to troll the Jayco site to see what reactions I can get? Wow!
Before we purchased both our truck and rv I researched reviews on both the vehicles we ended up purchasing and I tried to find reviews on half tons and fifth wheel combinations. Guess what? There are very few. Anyone that asks is automatically told it’s not possible, it can’t happen, for the very same reason the replies on this post have given, vehicle payload.
I did my research, found a combination that would work and then after my first long trip I gave a real world review of my thoughts on my rv combination.
I defended what I thought were prejudicial replies.
I’m not out to offend anyone but to give my perspective on a segment of fifth wheel that I think a lot of people have questions about but are afraid to ask because they are automatically slammed for even thinking it.
As far as nit picking on the weight of my work vehicle, I drive pin to pin. I don’t load my own truck, we have trained dock men for that. Any fine for overloading is paid by the company. But I do have a bit of common sense. If it’s nose heavy or looks wrongly loaded I do ask questions until I’m satisfied with the answers. If it costs the company money, in the end it costs me money.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:08 PM   #27

It wasn’t right for someone to call you a troll. We can have a debate without making personal attacks.
K Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:19 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Holbrook View Post
It wasn’t right for someone to call you a troll. We can have a debate without making personal attacks.
I’m not too worried about it. Everyone has an opinion.
And I do have a bit of an argumentative side! Lol But I do hope it’s more informative than trollish!
Old 07-13-2019, 12:23 PM   #29

It seems most of the responses on here are concerned with payload weight instead of towing capacity. While I believe payload is a concern, I believe many tow vehicles on the road are far above the tow rating for the vehicle. Even though your vehicle feels capable of towing the load it may be unsafe if it has to stop it in the case of an emergency and the electric brakes don't work properly. I make sure I'm on the safe side of both of those factors when I am choosing a TV. In my experience most 1/2ers tow rating is far less than most 5th wheelers and many bumper pulls weigh going down the road.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:20 PM   #30

Quote:
It’s not a case of not wanting to know, it’s not being worried about it. I’m more concerned with the ride, the way the truck pulls, stops and handles than I am with being 300 lbs over or under my payload.
Like I said, I was very pleased with how the truck performed on my most recent trip. It pulled, handled and stopped almost as well as my 3/4 ton diesel did with our old trailer.
Then in is the issue. I pulled a small 4500lb 5W once with a GMC 1500 5.3 V8, it was not enough truck. No I'm not into weight police just realities of capabilities. I will never understand building a F150 eco with the tow packages when the cost is more than a gas F250. A few 100lbs over would not be of concern to me either, I did tow over weight with a diesel F250. When it was time to replace that truck I went up to the F350. If I get a larger 5W I'll likely get into a F450. I'm not a fan of DRW the CC SRW 8ft beds a problem in big cities.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:24 PM   #31

Dear Kway3.....I thank you for giving us your experience with your F150 and FW. As a fellow OTR professional driver with more than 2 million safe miles I completely relate what you are saying. You have given an honest feedback. I’ve seen so many F150 pulling FW throughout US roads and every time I come across with someone at a truck stop I always approached and ask “how do you feel about your combination (F150 & FW)?”..... 95% of the time I get “I’m very happy! the ride is comfortable and I don’t need 3/4 Ton truck to pull my FW”

If you understand weight distribution......which I know you do....(2 millones safe miles on the road with a much bigger Rig!). I mean! .... I guess people who don’t have the experience you have...simply won’t understand!

You completely right.... there is a bias about the new F150 with max payload not capable to haul a FW..which is not true.

Keep it ip Kway3
gilgrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:13 PM   #32

You guys keep talking yourself into those views. The Lawyers love people like you. Just remember that ignorance doesnt alleviate you of your responsibility to stay within weight when the $hit hits the fan. Everyone will stick a microscope up you A$$ to find any fault. You can bet your bottom dollar that they will look for any reason not to pay out. Numbers are numbers and they dont lie.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:17 AM   #33

Love the report Kway!
Last night I pretty much talked myself into a 27.5 RLTS with my 2019 f150.
Been hemming and hawing for over a year, and ready to pull the trigger on it.
I may have a slight edge, my 150 has a 2500 payload, 11000+ max trailer tow, but if you can do it, I feel I can too.
Went to the dealer to originally look at a 2012 rls, but my better half was not to keen on used. Who am I to argue?
What hitch didja use?
BTW, my truck: https://youtu.be/H_ZHzxWkcjI
Half Ton Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:51 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Ton Heavy View Post
Love the report Kway!
Last night I pretty much talked myself into a 27.5 RLTS with my 2019 f150.
Been hemming and hawing for over a year, and ready to pull the trigger on it.
I may have a slight edge, my 150 has a 2500 payload, 11000+ max trailer tow, but if you can do it, I feel I can too.
Went to the dealer to originally look at a 2012 rls, but my better half was not to keen on used. Who am I to argue?
What hitch didja use?
BTW, my truck: https://youtu.be/H_ZHzxWkcjI
Congrats! It looks like a great combination.
It has almost as much payload as my 2016 3/4 ton diesel had!
I have a Reese 16K slider hitch.
I also reinstalled the Reese Sidewinder pin box I had on our old trailer. I found sliding the hitch a pain..
Old 07-16-2019, 05:49 AM   #35

I remember once when I had a 2006 GMC 2500 diesel the empty weight over the rear axle plus the payload equaled the maximum load rating of the tires. I wonder if different tires are ordered affects the cargo capacity of the truck. that would be interesting because if you ordered the biggest heaviest tires possible would that increase the payload capacity.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:00 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
I remember once when I had a 2006 GMC 2500 diesel the empty weight over the rear axle plus the payload equaled the maximum load rating of the tires. I wonder if different tires are ordered affects the cargo capacity of the truck. that would be interesting because if you ordered the biggest heaviest tires possible would that increase the payload capacity.
It would increase the safety factor but the official load rating has already been determined by the manufacturer and is posted on the sticker. The only one that can change that is them. The tires may be the weakest point but not the only point that affects load rating.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 07-16-2019, 06:30 AM   #37

I see pickups overloaded all the time. To where they are not safe to drive. But they don't seem to break Axel's. But I would not want to own any heavy 5th wheel. Because sometimes electric brakes fail. And even a one ton can't safety stop that. I have had the electric brakes fail on my trailer. But at 6500 pounds my 2500HD can still safety stop it. As a truck driver I have seen several deadly crashes with big fith wheels and gooseneck trailers. Including one who rear-ended me. His brake fuse was blown. He died. My life has not been the same. So within weight ratings or not you are trusting electric brakes. They are not anywhere near as reliable as air brakes. Or anywhere near as well ballanced. I will stay with lighter bumper tows.
Duramaxsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:23 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaxsky View Post
I see pickups overloaded all the time. To where they are not safe to drive. But they don't seem to break Axel's. But I would not want to own any heavy 5th wheel. Because sometimes electric brakes fail. And even a one ton can't safety stop that. I have had the electric brakes fail on my trailer. But at 6500 pounds my 2500HD can still safety stop it. As a truck driver I have seen several deadly crashes with big fith wheels and gooseneck trailers. Including one who rear-ended me. His brake fuse was blown. He died. My life has not been the same. So within weight ratings or not you are trusting electric brakes. They are not anywhere near as reliable as air brakes. Or anywhere near as well ballanced. I will stay with lighter bumper tows.
That's why I pay as much or more attention to tow rating as load rating. One of the key factors in the tow rating is stopping/braking ability.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 07-16-2019, 09:28 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaxsky View Post

Interesting insight there. One angle no one has really talked about.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:22 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
That's why I pay as much or more attention to tow rating as load rating. One of the key factors in the tow rating is stopping/braking ability.
No it does not. The tow ratings only allow 3000 pounds for no brake trailers as after that the law requires them. An F250 will not stop 20,000 pounds without trailer brakes.
Duramaxsky is offline   Reply With Quote