Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #1

Towing a pinnacle

Just wondering we are pulling our 2016 pinnacle with a 2013 gmc Denali 3500 with the duramax diesel,single rear wheel . Do you think we have enough truck? We were very impressed with the truck pulling power when we went on trip in the smokey mountains,so far I think the truck does a great job, but would the Duel rear wheels be better? I guess what I'm asking is it to much trailer for that truck?
gdemorest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:49 PM   #2

We pull our 2015 36FBTS with exactly the same truck! Have not had any problems, yet. It plays nice and when it needs to, works hard without missing a stroke! I set the cruise at 65 and let it do it's thing without using the tow/haul mode on the tranny. I do use the engine brake when hooked up. It's like anything else.....when towing just use common sense and keep plenty of room between you and the vehicle in front of you and life should be good!

We tow with a '14 Denali short bed crew cab. Would a dually be better? Sure would!! But, don't go rush out and trade what you have. It'll do the job until your ready to upgrade.
dalengail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:52 PM   #3

We have a 36RSQS. I weighed it before we left for Florida and found the pin weight to be quite high - above the rating for a SRW. The rear axel weight was almost 7900 lbs.
Suggest you get your rig weighed ASAP and check the weights against the truck rating. You might get a big surprise.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
Rjhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:52 PM   #4

We have a 2015 36 fbts also. I pull ours with a swr 2008 Dodge quad cab 3500. No problems. Like dalengail said, use common sense and you should be fine.
R&TB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:17 AM   #5

The Dually only gives you a little more stability. Pulling power is pretty much the same.
jayfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdemorest View Post
Just wondering we are pulling our 2016 pinnacle with a 2013 gmc Denali 3500 with the duramax diesel,single rear wheel . Do you think we have enough truck? We were very impressed with the truck pulling power when we went on trip in the smokey mountains,so far I think the truck does a great job, but would the Duel rear wheels be better? I guess what I'm asking is it to much trailer for that truck?
I agree with Rjhuser, you should go to a CAT scale and get your setup weighted.
This way you know the true weight of everything to see where you stand with TV GCWR, TV GVWR, TV Rear Axle GAWR, & TT GVWR.

You should be able to figure out your pin weight if you do 2 weightings.
(1) Unit hooked up with TV Front Axle; TV Rear Axle, & TT Axles each on a separate scale.

(2) Weight only the TV with TV Front Axle and TV Rear Axle on separate scales.

Then Loaded TV Rear Axle - Unloaded TV Rear Axle will give you your pin weight.

And the calculated pin weight + the TT Axle weight will give you the total weight of your trailer to compare against its GVWR.

I have a similar TV (just not w/ the Denali package) towing a 2015 Eagle Premier 361 REQS (see sig) and I'm very close to my TV GVWR & TV Rear Axle GAWR. So we need to review & remove some of the stuff we pack that we really don't need.

You definitely would have more buffer with regard to load capacity with a dually. Plus from what others have said and what I've read a dually will give you much better stability if you encounter windy conditions while driving, particularly any side winds.

To answer your question if your truck is enough, the weights will tell you that.

I also agree with what dalengail said, you're probably good for now until you're ready to upgrade your TV to a dually.
IMO, there's no need to go out and upgrade your truck to a dually immediately, unless you're looking for an excuse to do that.

Good luck and hope this helps.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:21 AM   #7

Guys, I'm trying to find the numbers, again but, can't seem to locate 'em. 2 years ago, when I was researching between SRW and dually, I seem to recall that the GVWR was just a few hundred pounds more for dually than for SRW. That was what influenced my decision to buy the SRW. Parking, garageability and all that. 5th wheel towing capacity between the two was virtually the same. The two extra wheels on the dually is what makes the difference, I think.

If someone comes up with the correct numbers, I will apologize. I know that I'm getting close to the limits on my SRW. But, since I love the performance and driveability of this truck and, it is paid for.......think it will be around awhile, yet!
Old 02-14-2016, 08:33 AM   #8

In a lot of the tow ratings I've seen, the dual real wheels actually takes away from the towing capacity due to the heavier weight on the rear end of the truck.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:46 AM   #9

The axle ratings for your TV should be on a sticker on the driver's door jamb (GAWR). 2 passes over the CAT Scale tells you what your actual weights are. It's the only way to know for sure.
The CAT Scale is your friend.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:49 AM   #10

Feb 23, 2013 - Maximum payload capacity, depending on the version selected, is 4,212 lbs., and the Sierra 2500HD can tow up to 13,000 lbs. of trailer with a conventional hitch. Outfit it to handle a fifth-wheel trailer, and maximum towing capacity rises to 17,800 lbs.,

3500, would have a slighter higher payload, but max towing will be about the same.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalengail View Post
Guys, I'm trying to find the numbers, again but, can't seem to locate 'em. 2 years ago, when I was researching between SRW and dually, I seem to recall that the GVWR was just a few hundred pounds more for dually than for SRW. That was what influenced my decision to buy the SRW. Parking, garageability and all that. 5th wheel towing capacity between the two was virtually the same. The two extra wheels on the dually is what makes the difference, I think.

If someone comes up with the correct numbers, I will apologize. I know that I'm getting close to the limits on my SRW. But, since I love the performance and driveability of this truck and, it is paid for.......think it will be around awhile, yet!
dalngail,

Check out the GMC 2016 Fleet Guide

Page 93 spec's the 2016 Siverado 3500HD
Page 99 spec's the 2015 Sierra 300HD / Denali

These pages give the GVWR for both SRW and DRW based on different cab configurations (i.e., Req., Double, Crew) and 2x2 or 4X4 configuration

On average GVWR between a SRW & DRW is ~2,000# (2000# more on the DRW).

It also spec's the maximum payload & maximum towing, but these values will vary depending on engine configuration. Due to the weight of the Duramax it will drop the actual values some.

Hope this helps to answer your question.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:46 AM   #12

ROC-REQS,

Your found the correct info. I was confused about what I was comparing 2 years ago when I bought the 3500 SRW. It's a long story so, I'm not going to bore anyone with it except a small part of it.

I was comparing between a 2500 and 3500 SRW because, at the time, Gail and I was thinking of down grading to a 36 to 39 foot travel trailer instead of going with a 5th wheel. I opted for the 3500 SRW due the fact the pricing was nearly the same between the two models. The 2500 was rated at the time at 9900 lbs and the 3500 SRW is at 11500.

I am tickled silly that I didn't go with the 2500!! Things changed because, we actually ended up buying a bigger 5th wheel at the right time for the right price and I was not concerned about the truck.

Now, when the time comes well down the road, when it is time for a new truck, I will probably need to look harder at a dually. Especially, if we still have this Pinnacle! And, I suspect we will.

You are also right about the towing capacity. From what I see, all 3 (2500, 3500 SRW, and 3500 dually) tow the same weights provided the drive trains were the same. The thing to study is GVWR.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #13

I was just looking o trade back to a SRW from my DRW as I don't see any benefit until I checked the specs for the max towing, so I guess I'll be keeping my Dually.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Towing Specs.jpg  

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:47 AM   #14
Site Team

Are you using a Goose neck hitch?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote