Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2022, 07:34 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
How are you guys controlling the brakes on the second trailer? Seems like the lighter trailer would lock up the brakes if controlled off the same brake controller as the heavier trailer.

It seems every state has different rules.

Evidently second trailer brakes are not a requirement in Michigan, it just has to be lighter weight than the first.

"The gross weight of the additional trailer cannot exceed the empty weight of the pickup or the semi trailer."
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 08:27 PM   #22

Quote-Gunslinger, How are you guys controlling the brakes on the second trailer? Seems like the lighter trailer would lock up the brakes if controlled off the same brake controller as the heavier trailer.[/QUOTE]

In Wisconsin the rear trailer does not need brakes if it is under #3,000 loaded.
McEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 08:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
How are you guys controlling the brakes on the second trailer? Seems like the lighter trailer would lock up the brakes if controlled off the same brake controller as the heavier trailer.
LOL! I've always wondered how that worked as well!

Have towed tandem in the past, but we didn't have the brake law then...
cadman_ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 08:37 PM   #24

[QUOTE=JFlightRisk;1025348]I copied the list from RVTravel.com. It was in an article written in March 2021, so seemed to be up to date. I probably made two errors, one that everything on the internet is right, and two, that there are many variable stipulations in state law that are tough to generalize into a simple list. And we know laws can change at any time. I do apologize for any confusion.

...]

No apology needed!

I've seen this same thing posted in other places, specifically about Kansas not allowing tandems, so there is definitely some misinformation out there somewhere. Not for sure where these lists on these sites are built from...
Old 01-31-2022, 08:13 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasare View Post
We have a 2016 eagle ht 28.5 does anyone know how much weight we can tow if we wanted to tow behind it?
Most states it is against the law to tow behind your fifth wheel. I would suggest not to do it very unsafe to do.. Most trucks cannot tow this much weight besides your rig.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:45 AM   #26

IMHO, If done properly, you know your TV capabilities and trailer weights and length limits, hitched correctly, obey speed limits, it isn't unsafe.

Both trailers track well.
The only issue that makes me uncomfortable is not being able to see my smaller second motorcycle trailer in the rear view mirrors.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:20 AM   #27

Triple towing is safe if done properly, like anything, it can be unsafe if you are not knowledgeable about what you are doing. As far as seeing behind you, I mounted a camera on the back of our fifth wheel to watch.
McEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:36 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by McEagle View Post
Triple towing is safe if done properly, like anything, it can be unsafe if you are not knowledgeable about what you are doing. As far as seeing behind you, I mounted a camera on the back of our fifth wheel to watch.
I don't triple tow any longer, I sold my last motorcycle last summer. The only problems I've had were backing up more than 20 ft or so. My 2022 Eagle RSTS has a camera on the back, and that really helped. Without the camera I was jacknifing because I couldn't see the smaller trailer in the truck mirrors. The motorcycle trailer had a wheel under the jack so I could disconnect the trailer and move it by hand if needed.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 01:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamerjk View Post
Most states it is against the law to tow behind your fifth wheel. I would suggest not to do it very unsafe to do.. Most trucks cannot tow this much weight besides your rig.
I'm not for sure what the definition of most states is, but it is legal in my state (KS), and I have a truck that is capable of towing LEGALLY the amount as well.

It is possible...
Old 01-31-2022, 08:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamerjk View Post
Nothing like a little bit of misinformation to help a guy out.
Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote