Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2018, 02:26 PM   #1

Towing hours Residential Refrigerator

Assuming your batteries are fully charged when you leave, how many hours can you get with your batteries when towing??

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:32 PM   #2

Your tow vehicle will help keep the batteries charged as you go. We never ran over 7 so I can't give you a definitive answer beyond that.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:45 PM   #3

That rather depends on your battery capacity, the current that your fridge pulls...thermal or compressor style?
.. and how much charge you get from the towing vehicle. *

I don't generally bother, I pre-cool the fridge on shore power before setting off, and pack it with frozen food and jugs of ice. The usually ensures that it stays cold for 24 hours or so.

* If you park for any length of time, with the fridge still running, unplug the umbilical, to avoid dragging down your vehicle battery.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:03 PM   #4

I know I can do 13 hours with no problem.
Didn't do it on purpose but bad traffic turned a 5 hour drive into a 13 hour trip one time
I swear I could hear Gilligan's Island music playing on the radio.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:18 PM   #5

Well, I guess this kinda depends on the trailer and how it was wired from the factory. My 2017 Northpoint 375BHFS has a residential fridge in it and the inverter is wired directly to a second set of batteries that are completely seperate from the rest of the electrical system on the coach. With the exception of when it's plugged into shore power, the inverter is wired to the 120v side and automatically switches over from the 12vdc batteries to the 120vac shore power.
The inverters installed in these models DO NOT charge the batteries when connected to shore power. If memory serves me right, I'm thinking I've been able to get 40-50 hours total before I had to put a battery charger on them.
To fix this problem, I'm getting an inverter that WILL charge the batteries when I'm plugged into shore power, so I no longer have to worry about my batteries draining down.
My fridge inverter runs off a pair of interstate 6v batteries instead of one 12v battery. More amps in a pair of 6v than one 12v equals longer run times.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote