Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2018, 06:11 AM   #21

Tow Vehicle Recommendation

We pull a Jayco Pinnacle REFS- about 42’ and 16,000 lbs.+ when dressed out with a ‘18 Ram 3500 Limited with Cummins diesel. This truck is the best. It would pull a house off its foundation. Great ride cruises at 65 - 70 mph with no problems. MPG about 12.5 when towing 21 + when empty. Cummins continues to make the best diesel on the market.
sail154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:49 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KassidyAnn View Post
Hi all- we just put our deposit down on an Eagle Premier 361REQS. We decided to find the camper before buying the truck so we could get exactly what we wanted. Now we are truck searching.
This camper is on the large side at 39ft and 15000lbs.
I have done tons of research about trucks. But I am still curious about what ya'll are using to tow this larger camper?
We have a Jayco RETS 338, 39' 3" bumper hitch and use a Chevrolet Duramax Diesel.
Bumper hitch for the low front profile, less resistance when driving for better mileage
What ever you buy my money is on diesel every time.
I chose the Chevy because of the Allison Transmission and the exhaust doesn't smell as bad as the Ford's exhaust.
With my Chevy I can pull out into the hammer lane, hit the accelerator had pass anything, sometimes it feels like my TT isn't even there the Duramax power is so good.
I love Ford products but hate their diesel exhaust odor.
I have a friend who has a Ram with a Cummins, and a 5th wheel, he has no problems and it doesn't stink.
1. Chevy
2. Ram
3. Ford
edburman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:15 PM   #23

I have a 375bhfs. I pulled it for a couple of years with f250. Engine, catalytic converter and turbo all went down at 80,000 miles.

Got a new truck. Mine is a GMC. What I strongly recommend is a 3500 or 350, diesel with towing package, dually, and absolutely an 8 foot bed. The 350(3500) has the springs, the diesel has the power to tow, the dually distributes the weight. The 8 foot bed just makes life so much easier. I used a Pullrite with my short bed and it was good. But wth the eight foot life is good. Keep a step ladder, firewood and misc stuff in truck, plus it turns nicely. Only way to go. In MHO.
jmj49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:44 PM   #24

GMC Denali one ton

My husband and I have a 2016 GMC Denali, 1 ton with diesel motor, we absolutely love it!!! We pull a 32 ft Jayco Eagle with 2 slide outs. We just got back from a trip around Lake Superior, (our camper was pretty heavy with all that we packed), my husband was very impressed on how our truck handled the hills in Canada & we managed to get 11.5 mpg!!! We have a jake brake on our truck which came in very handy for the hills in Canada. We haven't had one complaint with our truck & would highly recommend it!!! When we are traveling to campgrounds close to home we do pull a pontoon boat behind the 5th wheel & you don't even know it is back there, the pulling power on this truck is pretty amazing!!1
Camping4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KassidyAnn View Post
Hi all- we just put our deposit down on an Eagle Premier 361REQS. We decided to find the camper before buying the truck so we could get exactly what we wanted. Now we are truck searching.
This camper is on the large side at 39ft and 15000lbs.
I have done tons of research about trucks. But I am still curious about what ya'll are using to tow this larger camper?
I'm not in the "big boy" category but I will comment on the tow vehicle. When I was shopping for my 3/4 ton and comparing options, I realized there's really isn't a lot of difference between the 3/4 and the 1 ton rigs. If it was me, I'd opt for a 1 ton SRW diesel with 8' bed and rear locking axle.

One thing I noticed is the more truck you have (options) the less payload you have left over. If your rig is 15K then the pin weigh is probably 3K. Then factor in the hitch, cargo, people, etc.

Considerations: I've heard that when you get into a 1 ton and/or pull a big trailer like this, some states require a special license to tow that much weight around. RV Driver's License Requirements
Old 07-27-2018, 09:42 PM   #26

Silverado duo

We pull out Eagle Premier with a one ton Silverado. With the Allision transmission she really doesn't know it's back there. We get the same gas mileage with or without the trailer. Enjoy your trailer.
Tina G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:45 AM   #27

I also have the GMC Denali. Mine is 2018 Dually. It’s towing ability is excellent. (Jayco 375BhFS). Before that I had a 2010 Ford F-250 SIngle Rear Wheel. The engine went on that @79000 miles. (The heads, the turbo, the Catilytic converter and it needed brakes and tires) I refused to put big money into it. I maintained the truck by the book and beyond. When I went to my Ford Dealer they said well that’s why we only made that engine for 2 years. Not happy. The one thing I will say is the middle line ford truck had more convenient features than the top of the line Denali. For example the mirrors extended by push button instead of having to manually put in and out. The tailgate step and rail was a blessing for an older person. The gauges gave more info, like tranny fluid temp. The Denali dually, in spite of what I was told does not come with a tire pressure indicator nor is one available. The Denali is a great truck, but ford has much more to offer. I just would never buy another ford after having a diesel last for only 79,000 miles. The truck looked like new in and out, just didn’t work.
jmj49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:49 PM   #28

We have an 06 Ram 3500 dully bought new 160000 mile.On second fiver bought one ecm computer. Oil tires brake no major issues! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
06 Dodge.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by edburman View Post
We have a Jayco RETS 338, 39' 3" bumper hitch and use a Chevrolet Duramax Diesel.
Bumper hitch for the low front profile, less resistance when driving for better mileage
What ever you buy my money is on diesel every time.
I chose the Chevy because of the Allison Transmission and the exhaust doesn't smell as bad as the Ford's exhaust.
With my Chevy I can pull out into the hammer lane, hit the accelerator had pass anything, sometimes it feels like my TT isn't even there the Duramax power is so good.
I love Ford products but hate their diesel exhaust odor.
I have a friend who has a Ram with a Cummins, and a 5th wheel, he has no problems and it doesn't stink.
1. Chevy
2. Ram
3. Ford
Had a Dodge and now a Ford. Not noticed a smell from either.

When new both had a period where the hot things would smell for a while. After about 5k miles it all went away.

I thought the Dodge was nice, but, it was noisier than the Ford. Not sure about newer Dodges (mine was a 2009) but the Ford is getting better mileage. Never had a new Chevy truck so can't comment on them.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:18 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper59 View Post
We have the same camper. Started with a F250 diesel with upgraded 1 ton springs. Just upgraded to a Ram 3500 DRW. 6.7 liter diesel.8foot box. Love how it handles the 5th wheel. Installed a Curt 24K hitch in the factory pucks.
What's the gear ratio on your tranny?
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
361reqs, eagle, premier