Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2020, 08:00 AM   #1

TP-What to use?

Our rv toilet paper supply is running low. Now that the run, pun intended, on tp has abated somewhat we were able to snag a mega pack of our favorite Sam's Club brand for the house. For years we have used nothing but Scott's one ply in our rv's with the belief it was better for the holding tank than traditional 2 ply. I haven't seen the Scott's at our local W-mart for a while but also haven't looked lately. I've always tried to avoid the fall apart in your hands, overpriced stuff they sell in the rv section. I've been debating whether or not to restock the Pinnacle with the Sam's Club tp.

We are getting ready for our annual one month trip to Colorado, Lord willing and covid cooperates. Some say any type of tp is fine, some say otherwise. I'm curious as to what the Jayco folks use.
F350guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:09 AM   #2

We use the Sam's Club Members' Mark. Very comfortable and I use as much as I want. We find second best to be Angel Soft.

But take a clump of Members Mark and try to wipe up some water on the counter and notice that it dissolves almost right away.

That and we use Happy Camper, Blue Dawn and Borax in the tank. Forget anything about clogs; we never even see anything solid or white fly by on the way to the sewer.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:13 AM   #3

MM, Angel Soft or Charmin. Do not use extra strong because it does not dissolve.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
We use the Sam's Club Members' Mark. Very comfortable and I use as much as I want. We find second best to be Angel Soft.

But take a clump of Members Mark and try to wipe up some water on the counter and notice that it dissolves almost right away.

That and we use Happy Camper, Blue Dawn and Borax in the tank. Forget anything about clogs; we never even see anything solid or white fly by on the way to the sewer.

Angus
The Member's Mark is our favorite. I use the Happy Camper stuff but could you explain the use of Dawn and Borax?
Old 08-15-2020, 08:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
but could you explain the use of Dawn and Borax?

Couldn't give you a clinical explanation that could stand up to Dr. Fauchi, but earlier on when we had a few occasional temporary clogs, those ingredients came up in a lot of threads. Probably Facebook... so it must be true.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
The Member's Mark is our favorite. I use the Happy Camper stuff but could you explain the use of Dawn and Borax?
It’s a variation of the Geo method of tank flushing using borax or Calgon water softener. Ton of info on google and you tube.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:06 AM   #7

Any septic safe TP will work. I recommend trying what you like by leaving some TP in a container of water and see how fast it breaks down. We found Sam's club brand breaks down the fastest of what we tried and we all like the TP and use it at home.

They do all break down at a different rate. So just because they are septic safe doesn't mean they are ideal. Like I said, experiment with what you like and anything you want to try with the break down test. We don't get any TP when we dump as the Sam's club brand breaks down. Unless the TP is used just before dumping.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:50 AM   #8

We use the same stuff as at home. DW is in charge of that part of the grocery shopping so whatever she buys is what we use. Never had a problem with the black water tank.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:01 AM   #9

A good test;

Take two or three squares. Place in a small Tupperware container or jar with a cup or so of water. Put the lid on it and give it a shake. If it is dissolved it is good for the RV. If no, find a different brand. If it kinda dissolves, let it sit 30 minutes and review. If it dissolves in 30 minutes it is good for the RV.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:41 AM   #10

We use Camco RV TP. Not the softest, but it always breaks down well. This video from another post is excellent with good info on what works best:
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:13 PM   #11

COSTCO Kirkland Brand for 7 years now. Never had any problems and it breaks down great.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:23 PM   #12

I did a test of what I have on hand to see which ones dissolve the most and quickest. I put a couple of sheets of Valterra RV tp, Scott one ply and Sam's Members Mark in a cup of water, shook for 15 seconds and the winner by far was Members Mark. There was not a clump one, just almost totally dissolved tp. The other two had similar results with quite a bit of the paper holding together and clumping. What I didn't do was wait to see if the others dissolved as well as the MM after a while, like the guy in the video. I like the fact the MM does it almost immediately. Also, I realize there will not be much shaking in the tank but flushing will disturb it somewhat.

I removed all the rv tp from the Pinnacle and restocked with the Members Mark. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:17 PM   #13

Avoid RV TP, it's not worth the trouble and extra money. There is way better TP that breaks down just as good or better.

When we tested TP, we didn't shake it. Just plain water and left it sit. It's surprising what breaks down the fastest.

We also did the same test with flushable wipes. Cottonelle was the best in our testing.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:42 PM   #14

use what ever you use at home.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote