Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2018, 07:13 PM   #1

Smile TPMS - Recomendations

Looking to buy a TPMS any recommendations from those of you who use them? And screw on type vs permanent mount on rim? Thanks
Larkn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkn5 View Post
Looking to buy a TPMS any recommendations from those of you who use them? And screw on type vs permanent mount on rim? Thanks
I use the TST 507 and have had no issues.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:21 PM   #3

Ford OEM

I use the one that Ford sells as an option for my truck. You add the receiver on the trailer, new valve stems in the trailer tires and run the cables. Cost approx. 500.00 if you self install. Works great.
dartwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:27 PM   #4

TST 507 cap sensors
https://www.technorv.com/tst-cap-sys...to-12-sensors/
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartwest View Post
I use the one that Ford sells as an option for my truck. You add the receiver on the trailer, new valve stems in the trailer tires and run the cables. Cost approx. 500.00 if you self install. Works great.

I plan to use the same system once I need new tires so its a one stop swap so to speak. I see the kit includes a camera that I dont need. Already have plenty on the truck and a furrion on the back of the 5er. So can I ask what the cables mean? Are the cables only for the camera? I plan on wiring the booster near the battery in the garage but have no use for any more cameras. TIA, Jim
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:45 AM   #6

I've been happy with my TST 507 system on my truck. I have the monitor mounted to the dash of my little '08 F150 Screw by the driver's side windshield pillar and hard wired into the power window circuit to charge the internal battery whenever the truck is running. I have the external sensors on all four tires and the spare. I chose the external sensors so I don't have to have the tires broken down to install the internal ones. I can replace the batteries myself and, if a sensor should die, easily replace it myself (I have a spare sensor in my truck).

I've heard good things about Tire Traker and they now come with a lifetime warranty. I don't especially care for their vertically mounted monitor but, if I was shopping for a new TPMS, I would give Tire Traker another look because of the warranty.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:10 AM   #7

If you do not have the feature on the truck you have to add a connector near the 7 way trailer connector. You also have to add a cable on the trailer that runs from the truck to a receiver near the trailer wheels to receive the wireless signal generated by the monitors in the wheels (new valve stems). Took me a couple of hours to do the project not including getting the local Discount Tire to install the new valve stems in my trailer wheels.

I used this online add to get my local Ford dealer to drop their price.

https://www.levittownfordparts.com/f...8aArz2EALw_wcB
Old 09-07-2018, 10:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartwest View Post
If you do not have the feature on the truck you have to add a connector near the 7 way trailer connector. You also have to add a cable on the trailer that runs from the truck to a receiver near the trailer wheels to receive the wireless signal generated by the monitors in the wheels (new valve stems). Took me a couple of hours to do the project not including getting the local Discount Tire to install the new valve stems in my trailer wheels.

I used this online add to get my local Ford dealer to drop their price.

https://www.levittownfordparts.com/f...8aArz2EALw_wcB

Thanks for the link. I have a 2018 F350 Lariat that has all towing stuff. Included on my dash is the place for the trailer tire pressure reading so I assume I have everything in the truck. So I would need the 4 TPMS installed when I change tires and also a powered unit in the garage hooked up to the battery so the truck can read the TPMS? Do I need to run any wires/cables for this set up? Thanks
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:39 AM   #9

Another vote here for the TST 507 - works perfectly for me without the need for a booster...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
I use the TST 507 and have had no issues.
Same here, I like the new color display and no need for metal valve stems
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:10 PM   #11

I have had the HawksHead and TireMinder and both worked fine. I got the booster for the current trailer because it allows for a good signal even when the sensor batteries are a little weak. It is really an issue of whether you want internal sensors or tire stem mounted.

The only mandatory thing is to get all metal valve stems if you use the external sensors. I only know of two failures of tires with the stem mounted sensors. One was a rubber/metal valve stem (metal threads, rubber body) and the other was a catastrophic sensor failure (owner thought he hit a rock).
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:37 PM   #12
Site Team

Another cheer for TST. My RV510 system with 8 sensors has been working faithfully for over 7 years.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:47 PM   #13

If you have external sensors I highly recommend metal stems. Yes, the sensors are very light (they don't even affect balance of a small motorcycle tire), but, rubber valve stems are a source of failure for these things. I know of one that did fail that way and others have reported that type of failure.

But, I never liked rubber valve stems on vehicles anyway so it wasn't much of an issue for me.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:23 AM   #14

Yet another TST 507 vote. On our fifth season with it and have never done anything except replace the sensor batteries once a year.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:31 AM   #15

You would need to run the cables on the trailer from the tongue to somewhere near the axles where you would mount the receiver that talks to the wheel sensors wireless. The kit I purchased did not have the camera but the connector is there. Look at the plug on your bumper that connects to the trailer. If it is a 7-way and a 4-way then you will need to add the connector to the truck. The connector is a part of the kit.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:44 AM   #16

I have used a TST507 RV system with the flow thru sensors for 2 years now. Just shipped the entire setup back for issues.

The black and white display has lost it's mind and is flashing, beeping, clicking, and displaying every possible LED bar, icon, etc. on the screen. Happened right in the middle of a trip and no way to reset it.

All four pass thru sensors were within a 1-2 lbs when new but 3 are now reading inaccurate by over 5# when compared to the same 3 tire pressure gauges (analog stick, digital, and Viair pressure guage) I have used the entire time with one over 15# off and was setting off alarms constantly before the monitor lost it's mind.

It now has me wondering if the monitor was the problem all along with the sensors pressure readings changing over time vs. having both a bad monitor AND bad sensors all at once but until I hear back from the company on what they find out, my plans to buy more sensors for my TV are now on hold.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:45 AM   #17

I have been using the TST 507 system with the original sensors for 8 years now. During this period I had the original monitor wouldn't set a sensor to one location so I just used the adjacent location and since I don't have dual wheels it wasn't a problem. I was replaced under warranty. Since then I have had two sensors fail out of 8. I full time and the sensors are in use 24/7/365.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:16 PM   #18

I got a TireMinder 660 which is still available but they now have newer models. I bought the TPMS because we were merrily driving down the road when several people got our attention because the right rear tire on our toad had blown. Besides a new tire, there was about $900 bucks worth of damage to the car. Clearly, we needed a way to monitor the tires on the toad and it made sense to have a system for the RV too. We've had the system for about four years and are completely satisfied with it. Not only does it do what it is supposed to do, but their customer service is outstanding. They have one of the best customer service philosophies I have ever encountered. They truly care about their customers.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:32 PM   #19

Smile tpms

I have the tire safeguard-rv-6 on my 24k motorhome. Used the screw on cap type as the flow thru doesn't fit the front wheels on the sprinter without some modification to the wheel cover. No problems so far.
russ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:00 PM   #20

Skeptical based on the price but it works

Found this TPMS system on Amazon and have to say it is working great on my TT. Hard to beat $50.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075848KTW
mammut is offline   Reply With Quote