Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2018, 04:49 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliams1623 View Post
I'd advise you to speak with a qualified and reputable tire company/representative. When repairing a family member's recent blowout on another manufacturer's 5th wheel, the representative advised against aftermarket TPMS, stating they may actually increase the risk of a blowout. I'm no expert by any means...but I've stayed away from them and been happy thus far without incident. A lot of variables to consider...just my 2 cents.
I told my tire shop that I was going to put an external TPMS on the truck and trailer, so they installed heavy duty valve stems that have metal cores so that they would stand up to the extra weight of the TireMinder caps without excessive flex.
gothsqwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:52 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I have used the Minder Research "TireMinder" system for years now. Great customer service and annual free transmitter battery program. I use it to monitor my motorhome's six tires as well as the four on the towed car.
X2 !!! Ours still works awesome. We monitor 12 tires now
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:47 PM   #63

https://amzn.to/2vjUyhT
If you want to measure 4.
Works great for the price of 68 bucks.

Didn't read the entire 7 page thread, but I have had luck here, so if this fits, great.
If you need 12 tires, well maybe this don't work.
I am pretty sure it will read a total of six tires with the addition of 2 sensors.
bwft57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:36 PM   #64

I use a TST 507 as well. When I had the tires replaced I had the internal sensors installed on the rims like your truck has. Very satisfied.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:10 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk734 View Post
I pulled for over 2 years full time with no sensors. Good tires, always check air pressures and keep your speed down 60 to 65-no problems. It has worked for me for 15 yrs, but maybe not for you. Good luck.
I have not had a tire failure on any of my trailers (or motorcycles) either. Heck, the only tire failure I've had in the past 30 years was when I ran over a bolt with my car tire.

But, I like having the TPMS to let me see that they are OK. Also saves a ton of time checking tire pressures every day and sometimes multiple times per day.

Kinda like having actual temperature and pressure guages on the dashboard instead of idiot lights.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:24 PM   #66

Tpms

I have used the TST 507 system for 5 flawless years on a snowmobile trailer (down to -20) and my 35 ft fifth wheel. No problems.
davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:08 AM   #67

We have used the TST 507's as well. Had SS valve stems installed and the TMPS by Discount Tire and have been very happy with them for 30k+ miles.
My only suggestion is to change the batteries at LEAST annually as they tend to use them up. If you have a long rig, you might also consider a booster.
But over-all a great product!
NHstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:04 AM   #68

Tpms

We have a 2010 Dodge diesel 2500 which has TPMS installed. Our fiver had nothing other than I checked the tire pressure every two days while travelling. After six blowouts we installed a Tire Minder on the fiver monitoring the four wheels on the ground. So we had all 8 tires monitored, the truck by its' TPMS and the fiver by the Tire Minder.

One of the TPMS sensors on the truck went out and it cost $180 to replace. We did. Two weeks later a second TPMS on the truck went out.

I talked with the mechanic who told me that the sensors were watch battery powered and would last for about seven years. At which time they have to be replaced. The battery is dead and it is epoxied in so it cannot be changed.

Rather than spend an additional close to $600 for three more TPMS's we purchased six Tire Minder sensors at $40 each and now use the Tire Minder system to monitor all the wheels on the ground and the spares.

One other benefit of the Tire Minder system is it gives you the tire temperature making it easy to spot a bearing going out or a brake locking.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:35 PM   #69

I've been using a Dill TPMS. This isn't your external monitoring, their sensors have to be mounted inside the tire but they work GREAT. They've alerted me to an over pressure situation, high temperature issue while traveling home from California and it notified me as my tire was coming apart. On the last one I was on the highway and when it alerted me, I was able to pull to the side of the road walk around to the failing tire and it was still leaking air, no tread but still leaking air. Had I not had a TPMS I could have sustained substantial damage, the only damage was a bent crank arm that lowered the spare, the departing tread must have hit it. Dill makes TPMS for 4, 6, 10, 16 wheels on up. They also make a transceiver which was a life saver when I upgraded to 14 ply tires. The side walls are so thick that the signal couldn't reach the receiver in the truck. With a transceiver installed the signal is boosted and communicates with the receiver perfectly. Dill has come to the rescue each and every time that I've either had questions or needed assistance.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:20 AM   #70

Who is using cap sensors vs. Flow thru sensors??
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
I use the cap sensors without the theft gismo. IMO the flow thru sensors stick out to far making it easier for something to strike them. It doesn't bother me to unscrew them to double check the pressure or add air if necessary.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:42 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
I use cap sensors. I always take them off when not traveling.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:09 AM   #73

Thanks guys..........That's what I thought as well
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post
I use cap sensors. I always take them off when not traveling.
Cap sensors too, off my toad but they stay on the motorhome all the time.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:00 PM   #75

We pulled since 1990. Changed tires every five to six years. That was until our first set of Chinese tires. Them, the second set, and the third set had a total of six blowouts. At first I thought is was that I didn't check often enough. When we had three blowouts within 100 Miles and I checked the pressures twice daily I decided that it may be the tires. They had no guarantee and that was over two different brands. So we replace every two years. On one set of tires we had to reinflate every couple of days until we bought Tire Minders. Apparently we had stem leaks, as we hadn't need the compressor for a month. One nice thing is that I don't have to check pressures because now I turn on the Tire Minder. Also, it tells you the temp of the valve stem, indicating if high either brake grabbing or bearing. Then the tpms failed on one tire of the ram truck. At $200 it was high. Then I found that the sending unit was powered by a watch battery that had a life of seven years. The second one failed. We bought Tire Minders for the truck and spare tires.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:28 AM   #76

Just a word of caution when using external valve stem TPMS sensors. While cheaper and easier to maintain, they are also subject to the ambient air temperatures. Some have documented temperature swings from internal to external TPMS's as much as 60 degrees.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:11 AM   #77

Interesting comment Flyboy1. I have not found the delta to be off by more than 3-5 F. Been using the TST model for 3 years.
NHstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:04 AM   #78
Site Team

I find my TST system to be about 2-3 lbs lower than a manual measurement.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote