Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2020, 11:45 AM   #1

Traditional or New Tech roof?

We have a new 2019 Talon, that we have had less than a year. It already has a few small holes from a branch that fell during a storm and others that just "grow" in the seams where the roof meets the trailer. These seem to grow like weeds.

Now, Jayco says "it's covered by warranty." What they don't say though, is that they won't ensure that water hasn't gotten down in there in the two or three weeks that you didn't check it constantly.

Jayco fixes the hole, but you could have black mold in a few months that is all on you for the repairs.

So, the question is this...

Do you get a new membrane put on at $13 to $16K or do you go with one of these new RV roofs that are guaranteed for a lifetime?

Jayco, of course, says "that's a third party modification so our warranty won't cover anything that has anything to do with that."

So, with a year plus of the warranty left, do you do it or have the membrane replaced?

Thoughts?
Octane2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:57 AM   #2

I’d get a sprayed on roof in a heartbeat. No more fear of the falling branches poking a hole, no more leaking seams, and more heat/cold insulation value due to thickness. It’s a no brainer in my book
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
I’d get a sprayed on roof in a heartbeat. No more fear of the falling branches poking a hole, no more leaking seams, and more heat/cold insulation value due to thickness. It’s a no brainer in my book
RV Flex Armor spray roof is the way to go. We had this done in April due to me hitting a tree branch in my own drive.
Since a tree branch fell on your roof won't your insurance pay so you can get a better roof.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:49 PM   #4

Oh yeah

Yep, this is on the insurance company. No issue. Will be all paid for. The decision on which way to go though is up to me.

I mean, I agree, the spray-on seems the way to go. I am just more concerned about what I may not have thought of.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:55 PM   #5

You could still have the mold issues either way and you won't know until the old roof membrane is removed. I don't think JAYCO will just fix the holes, they normally do a complete roof membrane remove and replace or did they tell you differently?
Old 01-08-2020, 06:57 PM   #6
Site Team

When the spray on roof is applied, the old roof is stripped clean. Any repairs that are needed will be done before the new roof is sprayed on.

The 2 yr warranty should not be voided except for roof related issues.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
When the spray on roof is applied, the old roof is stripped clean. Any repairs that are needed will be done before the new roof is sprayed on.
The same would apply with JAYCO doing the work. As to the spray on roof, if insurance is covering it I think they would only pay for an equivalent factory roof, the difference would be on Octane2go if it is more money.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:13 PM   #8

If someone else is paying, white spray on roof. Former coworker did his last 5ver, after having water issues. He also had the vertical corners of the walls sprayed too. He had a white unit. It looked a little odd, but no more caulking to check.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:46 PM   #9

https://rvroof.com/

If you are planning on keeping the trailer long term get the FlexArmor. You have to make an appointment and travel to them. FlexArmor is the best roof ever. They can probably help you with the insurance company also.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane2Go View Post
We have a new 2019 Talon, that we have had less than a year. It already has a few small holes from a branch that fell during a storm and others that just "grow" in the seams where the roof meets the trailer. These seem to grow like weeds.

Now, Jayco says "it's covered by warranty." What they don't say though, is that they won't ensure that water hasn't gotten down in there in the two or three weeks that you didn't check it constantly.

Jayco fixes the hole, but you could have black mold in a few months that is all on you for the repairs.

So, the question is this...

Do you get a new membrane put on at $13 to $16K or do you go with one of these new RV roofs that are guaranteed for a lifetime?

Jayco, of course, says "that's a third party modification so our warranty won't cover anything that has anything to do with that."

So, with a year plus of the warranty left, do you do it or have the membrane replaced?

Thoughts?
I had a membrane failure at 5 years service. I had performed the required cleaning, etc. every six months in order to keep the warranty in effect. My dealer service manager did it and I had the records to prove it. A warranty claim was filed with the membrane manufacturer, Jayco doesn't warranty the membrane, and they offered a grand total of $235.00 to cover the complete replacement of the failing roof membrane. My opinion of this roof warranty is it isn't worth the ink it takes to print it.

My solution was https://rvroof.com/. Don't confuse the Flex Armor roof per the preceding url with rv armor which is a painted on product and much thinner. Flex Armor is the original sprayed on and 3/16" thick. Mine was done and now I have zero roof maintenance. No caulking to fail, etc. I wash it twice a year just to keep the dirt off.

When and if I ever buy a new RV I will have the Flex Armor roof sprayed on before I ever use it.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Agreed.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Agreed.
Just so ya'll know, my 321RLTS is about 35 ft . My RV FlexArmor roof along with new skylight, all new fans, every appliance/plumbing vent, & new vent covers was cheaper than doing an OEM roof.
With a lifetime transferable warranty vs a one year warranty was a no brainer. I took it to DFW RV Roof in Denton ,Tx and was really happy with the results. They were a pleasure to work with.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:28 PM   #13

What was the ballpark cost on that? Is it more resistant to road debris and small tree limbs?
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
What was the ballpark cost on that? Is it more resistant to road debris and small tree limbs?
From what I’ve seen in videos and read it’s pretty much like having Rhino lining on your roof (Damn near indestructible). Some people’s concern was the extra weight but I think it would be negligible. I think we will be doing this as our next big modification. Worst part will be removing all the solar to do it
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:51 PM   #15

Just FYI

RV Armor is about $5K for 40ft trailer.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane2Go View Post
RV Armor is about $5K for 40ft trailer.
Fixing the hole, new fans, new skylight, & new covers over vent fans was 7200. Things like the fridge vent & sewer caps are included in base price. To go back with OEM style roof, bids from 2 Jayco dealers were both right at $8900.
There are several authorized RV FlexArmor shops across the country and it must be done in their shop due to the materials & spray process . The warranty is registered to the RV's VIN # so if you should sale it the warranty is still good.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:27 PM   #17

I aggre with Poohbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
Just so ya'll know, my 321RLTS is about 35 ft . My RV FlexArmor roof along with new skylight, all new fans, every appliance/plumbing vent, & new vent covers was cheaper than doing an OEM roof.
With a lifetime transferable warranty vs a one year warranty was a no brainer. I took it to DFW RV Roof in Denton ,Tx and was really happy with the results. They were a pleasure to work with.
I did the same thing as Poohbear, and at the same DFW RV Roof location. They were great, and chances are they will be able to replace your roof with one where you will no longer need to climb up on the roof to check caulking seams ever again for less than a traditional roof replacement.

I wrote an article of my experience and the replacement process that appeared in the Escapees Magazine March/April 2019 edition entitled, "My RV Roof Replacement: Ending the cycle of recurring repairs." I believe it may be of help in making your decision.
Attached Thumbnails
New attic vent.jpg   Base coat coverage on plumbing vent.jpg   Front view of new roof.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ending the cycle of reoccurring repairs My RV Roof Replacement - for public use.pdf (444.3 KB, 8 views)
rvrev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:54 PM   #18

2x

Quote:
The same as above, company I looked into in Denton, Tx will remove old roof, replace all caps and plastic on top, spray on 22 ft of their product and give you a lifetime warranty for $3,800. A neighbor just did his 2019 Heartland with 19 feet of roof for $2,900. Shiny and grey spray on fiberglass cap.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:42 PM   #19

What is this spray roof material called? Who is manufacturer?
Cheers
Rick Hallam
CBCOCRBO
CBCOCRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:49 PM   #20

Flex-Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCOCRBO View Post
What is this spray roof material called? Who is manufacturer?
Cheers
Rick Hallam
CBCOCRBO

Flex Armor is a spray/flow on fiberglass. https://denton.rvroof.com/?gclid=Cj0...AaAjSMEALw_wcB
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote