Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2014, 09:43 PM   #1

Trailer Axle Weights

I took my truck and trailer to a local truck scale last week and leveled and weighed the rig. I have timbrens on the truck, and it sits level when trailer is hitched in truck bed. I only had 4 to 5 inches of clearance so I went up one notch on hitch, that put me to 6 to 7 inches clearance. I took a level to the underside of trailer frame, and it is level, just by luck. I weighed the unit and there is 300 lbs. more on rear trailer axle than front one. I thought the numbers would be closer than that. We haven't moved stuff into the trailer yet, so once we get front storage compartment loaded I think the numbers will be closer, but we do pack quite lite. I am well within the limits of tires and axles, I guess my question is is 300 lbs. a tolerable number for difference in axle weights? Any opinions are welcome.
bcmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:05 AM   #2

That is not a an intolerable no. If you have a rear living room, that ratio will change pretty quickly when you load the kitchen and the storage compartments. The axle loads really don't mean much until you are fully loaded.
I assuming that you have the same tires on all axles. A mixture of ST tires and truck tires would not be advisable. I had a friend that changed one axle with light truck tires and left the other with ST tires. There was a substantial load bearing difference on each axle when mixed.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote