Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2019, 07:09 AM   #1

Trailer break away switch

Not sure if I'm in the correct forum please move if I'm not. 99 Eagle 269 5th wheel. I replaced all tires, bearings and brakes ( complete with backing plates) I put about 50 miles on it and everything was OK just had to adjust the breaks again to get them just right. We went camping about a week after that and I had 1 wheel locking up all others were OK. I figured I just had to back off of that wheel. When I parked it in the yard my brake controller was showing OL (it's a Reese). I was going to look at it the next day but it was raining and I had an appointment for my truck at the dealer for some warranty work (gotta love the lifetime warranty on my Mega cab with 240K on it). So I was just cleaning compartments and noticed the pin for the break away switch was pulled. I'm not sure how long it was out? While driving or I did it when parking it. I believe it works off of the 12 v trailer battery and not the small battery like on non RV trailers. So if it was out while driving why wouldn't all of the wheels lock up unless they were that much out of adjustment or why didn't I hear the magnets humming while walking by the wheels?. The trailer is plugged in so the battery is charged. I won't have my truck back until the end of the week so I can't check the truck plug to make sure that's OK. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Wagntwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:28 AM   #2

My guess would be a bad switch. If battery is charged and hooked up your brakes should lock up when pulled. I have had it happen numerous times and you don't move until you reconnect the two parts. Kinda scary when pulling onto a road and on an incline.
scrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:23 PM   #3

I believe the Brakes should be adjusted so they brake very hard when the pin is pulled, but not completely lock up.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:07 PM   #4

I just checked the break away switch and it's not working. So I will order a new one and I will check out the truck when I get it back later in the week when I get it back. If I have power at the plug on the truck I will start checking wires and connections on the trailer.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:25 PM   #5

I've read the if the break-away switch is pulled for too long, the high current can burn out the brake actuation magnet coils so be sure to check the trailer brake actuation, too.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:30 PM   #6

I hope that's not the case as I just replaced everything. Once I get my truck back I'll drag the trailer up to the driveway and check everything.