Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2019, 06:16 PM   #1

Trailer steps

I have a Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MBOK FW that has the typical folding steel steps that I would like to upgrade. The two that I am considering is the Solid Step by Leppert and the Step Above by MorRyde. Has anyone installed either one of these? Both seem comparable but the Solid Step had a much wider top step at the door way that makes the first step onto the steps feel more stable. Any pros or cons on either?
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:11 PM   #2

We have neither so can't help there but friends have MoRyde and like them. One drawback of any of this type of step is anything that you don't clean off (hard to get ahead of rain) falls inside the camper when you fold them up. For that reason we're staying with the standard step.
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:18 PM   #3

Hmmm....good point.
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:37 PM   #4

If you plan to travel on a ferry with your Rv, and need to access inside the Rv for pets etc, there is usually not room to deploy that style of steps. For that reason and the other mentioned we opted for the folding steps.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1carguy View Post
I have a Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MBOK FW that has the typical folding steel steps that I would like to upgrade. The two that I am considering is the Solid Step by Leppert and the Step Above by MorRyde. Has anyone installed either one of these? Both seem comparable but the Solid Step had a much wider top step at the door way that makes the first step onto the steps feel more stable. Any pros or cons on either?
We have the Step Above by MorRyde and love it. Very stable and can be adjusted for different situations. Added the hand rail that cost about $55.00 and works great!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstannard View Post
We have neither so can't help there but friends have MoRyde and like them. One drawback of any of this type of step is anything that you don't clean off (hard to get ahead of rain) falls inside the camper when you fold them up. For that reason we're staying with the standard step.
A good whisk broom and drying off the steps which is rarely needed......very happy with the MorRyde steps!! But to each their own.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstannard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRGMC View Post
If you plan to travel on a ferry with your Rv, and need to access inside the Rv for pets etc, there is usually not room to deploy that style of steps. For that reason and the other mentioned we opted for the folding steps.
Neither of these are concern for me, but there is also a quick connect option for the MORryde steps. That way they attach and detach instead of swinging in.
Click image for larger version

Name:	morryde.png
Views:	124
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	46563
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
A good whisk broom and drying off the steps which is rarely needed......very happy with the MorRyde steps!! But to each their own.

X2

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:59 AM   #9

You might want to take a look at these. A couple of members on here have them and like them. https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep-revolution
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:16 AM   #10

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
You might want to take a look at these. A couple of members on here have them and like them. https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep-revolution
I installed these steps a little more than a year ago and the Bride loves them (I like them too). They fit in the existing stairway opening and work much the same way. When open they have a pair of legs that rest on the ground making them very stable. Installation took a couple of hours but a second pair of hands would have shortened that. I haven’t had any issues with uneven ground. When deployed you don’t have to pull them to the full extent which allows them to be used in tighter situations.
Very pleased with ours.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #11

We use the "Port-A-Step" which attaches to existing folding steps when set up & also have the patio option , port-a-deck, for long stays. They are both aluminum so weight no problem. Website
rv-co.com
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:38 AM   #12

My choice of replacement steps was: https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep-revolution.

This was by far the best modification I made to my rig. Would I do it again, Definitely and Immediate after purchase.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
My choice of replacement steps was: https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep-revolution.

This was by far the best modification I made to my rig. Would I do it again, Definitely and Immediate after purchase.
X2!

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:50 PM   #14

How much do the Torklift (4) steps weigh?

I see on Amazon the MorRyde steps (4) ship at 35lbs. The Lippert version lists 68lbs. The Torklift (A8004) lists a shipping weight of 1lb. Pretty sure that isn't accurate. . .

I like that the Lippert has an extra deep top step.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:40 AM   #15

Another vote for the Glowstep by Torklift. Will be the very first, immediate mod to a new rig.
K2tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:38 PM   #16

We have the step above Buy morryde and I'm very pleased with them. We are 70 and both have artificial knees. The steps are a lifesaver, easy to raise up and down, very pet friendly for our dog, and very very secure. I would buy them again in a Flash.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:42 PM   #17

We got a couple of those step supports and put under the first step on the factory steps. It made a big difference
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:38 PM   #18

We have a set of Port-A-Steps. They easily in a storage tub that I set inside the door when traveling. They have a 7" rise and weigh about 25 lbs. Easy to setup and I love the 2 foot x 2 foot landing at the top of the stairs. We put a rug on the landing and it helps keep the trailer much cleaner. My wife needs the handrail because she has a bad knee, that why I bought these originally. I don't have any trouble with the original steps but I set these up every time because of the landing and the stability they provide. They also have a 100% refund return policy if you don't like them.

My son has Morryde on his trailer. The things I don't like about them are: If the site is not fairly level and the step side is closer to the ground than normal you can't always get the steps level, when you fold them up you dump dirt in the trailer unless you wash them off and dry them, If you stop at a rest area and want to get a snack or go the bathroom they have to be folded down, you can't just set something inside the trailer without folding them down.

Good thing is they are solid, they look cool.

Port-A-Step
Pro's: Easy for someone with a bad knee to climb, Keeps the trailer cleaner, easy setup, can be used on another trailer if you trade like I did, all aluminum no rust, I weigh 245 and they are solid as a rock.

Con's: Cost, you do have to set them up,
https://rv-co.com/index.html

If I had to choose again what to buy I would get the Port-A-Step again. I always wondered if I had made a mistake instead of getting Morryde. When my son got his new trailer with Morryde I was glad I got Port-A-Step. Just my two cents. It's all about your preference.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:51 AM   #19

Does anyone know how to turn power off to the steps when parking at a curb? The on/off step switch doesn’t turn it off or stop stairs from slamming into the curb when door opens. I’m afraid one of these times, the stairs will get stuck and won’t close properly when they don’t open fully because they hit the curb. Levelling raises step, but don’t want to level just to park near a curb as usually just park at curbs for quick stops.
Jenny Darlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:30 AM   #20

We have the MoRyde on our NP and are happy with their stability and the overall product. Cleaning the steps before folding them up is a good idea although the two main issues we have found are reaching the door latch and pulling the steps out is tough for my wife or anyone much less than 6' tall. The other; As the door must close over the frame of the step, it holds the door open slightly and we end up with a gap on the lower, open side of the door.
stauber is offline   Reply With Quote