Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2018, 03:21 PM   #41

Jayco puts Chinese tires on our RV’s???
mcat0814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:23 PM   #42

RVing for 30+ years and lucky enough to never have one.
3 class A's, and now a TT.

I just completed a 8700 mile, 63 day cross country trip coast to coast and before I left I replace the 2 year old Ranier's with Goodyear endurance ST tires.

Ranier's still looked good but didn't want to take a chance on having problems on the road.

It had load range C on it, and I stepped up to load range D, same tire size.

Best move I made.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:25 PM   #43

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2018, 03:54 PM   #44

Run decent truck tires, not China trailer tires

I negotiated for new Goodyear G 614 RST, load range G, LT235/85 R16 tires on my new 2016 Siesmic Wave 355W. I will not run cheap china trailer tires which Jayco had installed on new RV toy hauler. I sold the new China trailer tires at a garage sale for cheap, since that's all their worth. Jayco would not approve the slightly oversized tire and stated if the Goodyear tires failed it was my problem. As I recall, Jayco had started using the same Goodyear tires I bought for myself, on another 2016 model that was higher end than the Siesmic Wave. They are an accident waiting to happen and Jayco apparently knows they are. Jayco management should be ashamed. I drove an 18 wheeler for 22 years and know the importance of good tires and maintenance. Stop often as possible and feel the hubs, to make certain no bearing issues since everything on RV seems to be as cheap as possible. I've run two long summer trips ( approx 5K miles each) with no issues to date. Keep on trucking!
telder4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:07 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonDawn View Post
I'm just curious how many RV's have had blowouts? I have a friend that has had either 4 or 5 blowouts. 43 ft 5er says he put higher rated tires but still just had another blowout today. Says he was going 65. I think he was going faster! I have RVed from central Texas to Louisiana Florida and Arkansas for 4 years and never had even a low tire. Let me y'alls experiences! Thanks
Never had a blow out, but I normally change out tires in between year three- year 5. on the side of all tires there is a DOT number, the tire date is at the end, max 5 years on trailer tires!!!!
My 2 cents

Mike
AngieMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:27 PM   #46

Quote:
I'm just curious how many RV's have had blowouts? I have a friend that has had either 4 or 5 blowouts. 43 ft 5er says he put higher rated tires but still just had another blowout today. Says he was going 65. I think he was going faster! I have RVed from central Texas to Louisiana Florida and Arkansas for 4 years and never had even a low tire. Let me y'alls experiences! Thanks
If he is not using Goodyear G614 with a G rating for that size RV then he needs to change to these Goodyear tires. Ensuring cold pressure is correct in each tire and tire pressure monitoring is important to make sure pressure is not lost in tire over time. Cold pressure in the tires should be set per the trailer VIN sticker tire data and not just by Max pressure rating on tire.
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:12 PM   #47

I have had three blowouts over the past three trailers. It seems when the tires get over 4 yrs old it is a problem. I actually had a spare tire mounted on the back of the trailer that just blew up one day on a very hot day. It stayed parked in the sun all the time. It was right outside my door and I thought it was a gunshot.
You apparently don’t gauge trailer tires like vehicle tires by thread wear. Trailer tires that blow out seem to be related to age and under inflation and not to mileage.
The way I understand it is that with under inflation the tires repeatedly bend the sidewalls as one drive down the road. The faster one goes the more the tires flex and unflex which weaken the sidewalls. The more air they have the less they flex so be sure to keep the recommended air in them. Every time I have a blowout and the tires are 4 years or older, I go and buy 5 new ones.
My last blowout was on a two lane highway and when I pulled off the road, would you believe a tow truck pulled off behind me and said he saw the blowout happen. He had all the equipment to change the tire. Pretty lucky.

scapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:50 PM   #48

Cheap tires

We have an 43ft trailer and have had issues and blowouts. The last one caused over $2,000 damage. We have gone to more durable tires and check the air pressure before pulling it. So far, so good. I've been told by an RV repair shop that the tires they are putting on trailers aren't road worthy and cheap.
Tina G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:52 PM   #49

Quote:
! I have RVed from central Texas to Louisiana Florida and Arkansas for 4 years and never had even a low tire. Let me y'alls experiences! Thanks
Howdy from Austin!
bwft57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:20 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
RVing for 30+ years and lucky enough to never have one.
3 class A's, and now a TT.

I just completed a 8700 mile, 63 day cross country trip coast to coast and before I left I replace the 2 year old Ranier's with Goodyear endurance ST tires.

Ranier's still looked good but didn't want to take a chance on having problems on the road.

It had load range C on it, and I stepped up to load range D, same tire size.

Best move I made.
Did you change the rims when you upgraded to a load range D tire? I have been thinking of doing the same on my trailer.
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:22 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by damammel View Post
Did you change the rims when you upgraded to a load range D tire? I have been thinking of doing the same on my trailer.
Personally I didn't have to as I had the higher end rims on my 16XRB.

The inside of the rim is stamped for the Max PSI, that has to be equal or greater than the rated max psi for the tire.

Most places WILL NOT mount a 65psi tire on a 50psi max rim.

I was lucky, but was ready to just put steel wheels to get D rated.
Didn't have to.
So just depends.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:26 PM   #52

Thank you. My plan was to upgrade the rims with the tires but was curious with your upgrade. I will be happy to have the D range tires and USA made rims also.
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:29 PM   #53

I've pulled travel trailers for 14 years and have had at least one blowout on every trip. The primary reason for each blowout was previous damage to the tire from chuck holes, bad roads, interstate bridge joints, etc. The damage was obvious from looking at the tire after the blowout - every one had split from side to along the cord. It didn't seem to matter how fast I was going when the blowout occurred, but how hard I hit the above road hazard. My solution was to stop pulling travel trailers. Now, I have a motor coach. So far, so good.

Coffee tastes better if the latrines are dug downstream from an encampment.
- US Army Field Regulations, 1861
Cliff_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:30 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by damammel View Post
Thank you. My plan was to upgrade the rims with the tires but was curious with your upgrade. I will be happy to have the D range tires and USA made rims also.
In my opinion, the rims wont be an issue. Even China makes pretty good metal products with the tolerances of Rims.

I have even used Chinese Rods in a motor rebuild, and after balancing each rod, I have had no issue in a 500hp big block (2 of them actually in my boat).

As for rims, it is not like a swiss watch.
They can smelt aluminum and most of the impurities float to the top, so its not even like steel.

You probably won't have any issues.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:05 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff_W View Post
I've pulled travel trailers for 14 years and have had at least one blowout on every trip. The primary reason for each blowout was previous damage to the tire from chuck holes, bad roads, interstate bridge joints, etc. The damage was obvious from looking at the tire after the blowout - every one had split from side to along the cord. It didn't seem to matter how fast I was going when the blowout occurred, but how hard I hit the above road hazard. My solution was to stop pulling travel trailers. Now, I have a motor coach. So far, so good.
Wow. You have a blow out every time, but you fail to check to see if the tire is damaged. I can see this happening once, or twice. But after 14 years I'd think you would spot check them every time you leave.

Course a motor coach solves the problem right?
How exactly?
Old 07-28-2018, 10:46 PM   #56

Inspection

I cannot look at a tire and determine if it has been damaged to the point of blowout sometime in the future. I am sure there are people who can. Another choice would be to replace all tires before each trip. I tried that and still had blowouts with new tires.

The motor home has commercial truck tires, which I hope are better made than the standard trailer tires. Time will tell.

Coffee tastes better if the latrines are dug downstream from an encampment.
- US Army Field Regulations, 1861
Cliff_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:45 AM   #57
Site Team

If you have 16 inch rims, they do make commercial tires for your camper. My goodyear G614's are a commercial grade tire and though not bulletproof, they are much more than adequate to keep me moving and enjoying the camping trips. Sailun 637's are also another alternative that I would consider.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:04 AM   #58

Thankfully, no blowouts as of yet, not even a flat. Had the OEMs Towmax tires for 5 years (on borrowed time after 3 years). I replaced them the beginning the camping season this year with Goodyear Endurance, including the spare. They cost ~$40 more/tire, but you can't compare apples to oranges as it increases from a C to D load rating, increased L to N speed rating, and added 2 more plys to the tire's structure.

From an operational standpoint, we are very conservative travelers. I am getting passed by everyone and could care less. We stay at or below 65mph, drive early in the day, and make frequent stops (especially if its really hot) to cool the tires. One well known reason for blowouts is heat, or rather the tire's inability to dissipate it. I am religious about checking/inspecting the tires, keeping them at max pressure at all times, and checking tire pressures when they are cool before a trip.

One last tip for preservation is to avoid over washing, cleaners, and especially avoid using tire shine. They strip the tire of their natural protectants from UV and Ozone and increase dry rot. If you want to use a good tire protectant, a great product is 303 protectant.

In the end, there is the unlucky chance you buy bad tire (s). It happens and not much you can do about it. I say buy the best quality you can afford, preferably made in USA, operationally do what you can to prevent a blow out, and be prepared to handle it if it does.

May the forest be you!
jngkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:41 AM   #59

Trailer Tire Blowouts

Bought a TT in 1998 and didn't know about tire age limitations so I ran the original tires for 12 years with no blowouts. Now we have a 2013 Jayco x213 and had a blowout last year. Luckily a driver next to us noticed it right away and alerted us so we had minimal damage. I decided the 13" original "C " rated tires had to go, so I replaced them with new 14" rims and 14" "D" rated Carlisle Radial Trail tires from Discount Tires (they will match other's prices and have a good warranty). TT rides nicer and with a much higher load range I feel better.
I don't drive with TT over 60mph (what's the rush I'm retired and on vacation) and always check tire pressure and keep them at 50 psi. No better driving insurance than good well maintained tires.
If you drive at 70 mph after 8 hours you'll be 80 miles farther than me driving at 60 mph with a added cost to you in mpg and safety, plus if you have a blowout from over speeding your tires you will have added cost and time. It's not worth it. Drive like you, your family's and other's on the road lives depended on it.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:02 PM   #60

Thank you! Really irritating that they put such cheap tires on their product! I had no idea!