Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2016, 07:19 PM   #1

Traitor

I almost lost my mind today at the Ft. Worth RV show. The family and I were looking at our dream trailer (North Point 377) and we found ourselves negotiating with a dealer on a Heartland Oakwood with similar floor plan...more so my wife than I. Anyways they really made us a good deal, but then I snapped back and told them that the finishings just were't up to par (in my opinion) with the Jayco North Point that we looked at. And the finishings weren't as good, from my perspective. The only 2 positive remarks I can make were the the man cave (bunk house) room was slightly bigger and the slide out in the living area had a higher ceiling, which appeared to make the room look bigger.

My wife and I agreed to wait until we pay off some stuff we did to our house last year and then we will revisit the 5er purchase.

Just thought I'd share, nothing major.

Dan
Old 01-10-2016, 07:44 PM   #2
Site Team

Well to be honest if shopping for a new unit Jayco would not be the only brand I would consider. There are others out there that have about the same build quality. IIRC Heartland used to be a private company but was bought out by mega conglomerate RV maker THOR which I believe is even bigger then Forest River.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:57 PM   #3

I would've waited too. Just my personal experience. When we were going into full timing, we special ordered a Heartland Gateway. Had cash in hand to pay for it when it came in. There were just too many things that didn't meet my expectations once it arrived. Little stuff like the slide seals and toppers not right, fit and finish not quite where I wanted it, the way certain things functioned, etc. There were several items. I liked it, but not that much. Too me they aren't what the North Point is. That said, we went with a Cedar Creek, and had even worse problems.

It's good to consider many makes, just have to go with what works for you, and with your gut feeling. We're currently in the shopping stage again, for a full time rig. The North Point is at the top of the list. I did glance at the Heartlands again, but even though certain features are nice, I can't bring myself to own one. It takes a LOT more than bling to satisfy me. My wife is the same way. You can put icing on a turd and call it a cake. Looks good on the outside, not once you get below the surface. Same with RVs.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:09 PM   #4

Honestly, I think the biggest selling point for me was that the dealership selling the Jayco's had a Jayco Rep on sight. He went through the North Point with me for 30 mins going over all the nuances of the trailer. It was VERY informative!! I wish the other dealers had a Rep present...They may have, but I didn't meet them. For instance, I did not know that the North Point's were manufactured with insulating reflective barrier in the under carriage. I learned a great deal from the Jayco Rep.

Many of the other dealers could not answer many of my questions.

Dan
Old 01-10-2016, 08:17 PM   #5

Most dealers can't. Or at least most salesmen can't. Nice to have a rep on site, and we've had the pleasure of meeting with several from multiple companies, along with a ton of manf. visits. There are a few good ones out there, but they are few and far between. Sometimes we find ourselves teaching the salesmen. I like playing dumb for a while, but then call them out on stuff later. I have fun with it. A salesman may be doing it just for a job, to me it's a passion and I've spent my entire life researching and studying them.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Most dealers can't. Or at least most salesmen can't. Nice to have a rep on site, and we've had the pleasure of meeting with several from multiple companies, along with a ton of manf. visits. There are a few good ones out there, but they are few and far between. Sometimes we find ourselves teaching the salesmen. I like playing dumb for a while, but then call them out on stuff later. I have fun with it. A salesman may be doing it just for a job, to me it's a passion and I've spent my entire life researching and studying them.
I agree. I think I learned more from one You Tube video from Haylett RV then I did from all the other salesman from just about every mfg combined.

They must have high turn over rates for salesman or they just do not take time to learn the product.

If I am ever in your neck of the woods, I may call on you to give my a private walk through, around, under, over, and in between lesson on Jayco Eagles.

Self taught and hands on is good. But, I do feel my wallet getting lighter every time I visit this site and read the posts from owners like you.

Thanks again for your input.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:51 PM   #7

Any time. I always welcome most anybody, and will work on a rig or 2 in our shop from time to time if it's possible. I've had the pleasure of working on several people's rigs over the years. Good experience for me, a learning experience for them sometimes, and it's just good overall fellowship with another RVer. I've got one in east texas I've been waiting on for a while. Still trying to make schedules mesh where I'm off and he is too. A keystone sprinter just in need of a little TLC, slide out end caps, roof maintenance and some other upgrades. And another family member needing a slide top installed and some general reseal here and there. If I'm available, I'll help most anybody, and I don't have a shop fee. My wife is very understanding and pretty much lets me run free with this stuff.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:54 PM   #8

We traded up from Heartland to Jayco. I really came to appreciate the 2 year warranty that only Jayco and Highland ridge (Jayco company formally Open Range). If you go to the Oakmont your giving up A LOT of storage inside and in the basement, no pantry, and there is a HUGE difference in quality. I am a stubborn Irishman and do not admit to being wrong but I was dead wrong when I purchased a Heartland. I love the Jayco's features and quality and you cannot find that in the other unit.
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:04 PM   #9

One thing I couldn't help but notice a few weeks ago when I looked at a NP, was they started adding a transverse brace to the front and rear spring hangers. Pretty much accomplishes the same thing as the MorRyde X-factor, which is a good thing to reduce the flexing of the hangers in turns. Only bad thing I noticed while crawling under there was they recently swapped to LCI axles. Guess you can't have all the good stuff on one rig.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:29 PM   #10

I also am trading up from a heartland product (elkridge). I didn't have any real problems with it but I wanted a nicer unit with a better floor plan.

I looked at the oakmont as my dealer carried it as well as the jayco and the jayco is much nicer.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #11

The truth shall set you free. My wife and kids came clean on why they liked the Oakwood over the Jayco...Are you ready for it??? They liked the heated/massage recliners!! That was what they liked most about it?? The finishings (IMO) just weren't up to par with the North Point. I told them if they liked those chairs so much, we could save our money and put them in the Jayco. Just wanted to share...I got a good chuckle out of it.

Dan
Old 01-11-2016, 05:15 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
You can put icing on a turd and call it a cake.
Now that's a visual that will keep you awake at night!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote