Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #1

Travel bars

My 97 323RKS has a 13 foot slide. The previous owner never pulled it but put the travel bars in when I purchased it. I don't see them in the owners manual so I'm pretty sure he had the in backwards. The have a spring handle on them with a flat plate on one end & the other end looks the tube steel with a plastic cap on either end. I am use to spring baton style travel bars. Any one know of these type? Thanks
b1mmuo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Site Team

Yes, I have the same style for my eagle 266 FBS. The flat end goes against the outer wall of the trailer and the tubular end against the inside flange (closest to you) of the slide out. One thing I do before I set the locking mechanism is pull the tubular ends against the inside flange with both my hands. This helps ensure the travel bar is straight. Below is a picture of how the travel bar looks when in place.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #3

Never knew such an item existed. I assume they were required for hydraulic type slides.

Of course, after reading the thread title I was looking for something with martini shakers. :hihi:
Old 09-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #4

Thanks your slide roof looks very clean. They definitely had them in wrong. The flat plate was in the gap turned sideways which made it very difficult to remove. Thanks again you cleared up this gray issue. Strange the manual would not show this either. Jamoke my slide is electric. Don't think it matters how the slide works they are there to hold the top in & seal against water. Less strain on the lower mechanical in my opinion.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1mmuo27 View Post
Don't think it matters how the slide works they are there to hold the top in & seal against water. Less strain on the lower mechanical in my opinion.
Interesting. I can see how they could be useful if the slide could somehow move while traveling.
I wonder why you don't see them on late model trailer slides?
Old 09-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #6

They must have improved the slides mechanisms as newer Jaycos do not come with the travel bars.
LA Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1mmuo27 View Post
...The flat plate was in the gap turned sideways which made it very difficult to remove...
With the travel bar in that position, I certainly hope it didn't cause any damage to the slide and/or the rubber seal. If it's any consolation, I checked my Owner's Manual and the only thing it says about the travel bars is-

EXTENDING ROOM: Remove "Travel Bars" from behind the top facia board located above the slide-out room.
RETRACTING ROOM: Install "Travel Bars" in proper locations as indicated on the wall.

There's nothing mentioned as to which end of the Travel Bar goes where. On our TT, the "proper locations as indicated on the wall" were nothing more than a sticker that said "TRAVEL BAR". These have long since worn off. We learned the correct placement of the travel bars during the training session at the PDI.

I believe you should also have a crank in case you have to manually extend/retract the slide-out room. Also, even though the Travel Bars are probably both the same length, I marked mine "Front" and "Rear" and install them accordingly- just in case they're not.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:38 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoke View Post
Interesting. I can see how they could be useful if the slide could somehow move while traveling.
I wonder why you don't see them on late model trailer slides?
You do see them on late model TT`s, mine has one. It depends on the type of slide mechanism you have. Without my slidelock in place I can easily push the top of the slide out an inch or so with it retracted, so going around turns and such I can see where the top of the slide could have some unwanted movement and put undue stress on the slide components. It also insures a tight seal when traveling so less likely to have a leak around the slide seals. My slidelock is a bit different then the one pictured however.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
With the travel bar in that position, I certainly hope it didn't cause any damage to the slide and/or the rubber seal. If it's any consolation, I checked my Owner's Manual and the only thing it says about the travel bars is-

EXTENDING ROOM: Remove "Travel Bars" from behind the top facia board located above the slide-out room.
RETRACTING ROOM: Install "Travel Bars" in proper locations as indicated on the wall.

There's nothing mentioned as to which end of the Travel Bar goes where. On our TT, the "proper locations as indicated on the wall" were nothing more than a sticker that said "TRAVEL BAR". These have long since worn off. We learned the correct placement of the travel bars during the training session at the PDI.

I believe you should also have a crank in case you have to manually extend/retract the slide-out room. Also, even though the Travel Bars are probably both the same length, I marked mine "Front" and "Rear" and install them accordingly- just in case they're not.
No real damage. I put a new seal around the slide out as well. Had to adjust the slide as well as it dropped a bit when fully extended & groaned when coming back in.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:47 AM   #10
Site Team

Last fall, we had a slide gear strip while up in the mountains. We were able to push the slide in manually and pull it out manually. I purchased some wood in 2 x 2 lengths and cut them to the length that would serve as bars. I padded them with towels. This allowed us to drive home and have it repaired under warranty at our local dealer.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #11

Hey guys, I can see the pic as to how these are setup. I have used 1998 Eagle and I am not sure of the proper way to install these travel bars.
agentzoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentzoey View Post
Hey guys, I can see the pic as to how these are setup. I have used 1998 Eagle and I am not sure of the proper way to install these travel bars.
Yes, I have the same style for my eagle 266 FBS. The flat end goes against the outer wall of the trailer and the tubular end against the inside flange (closest to you) of the slide out. One thing I do before I set the locking mechanism is pull the tubular ends against the inside flange with both my hands. This helps ensure the travel bar is straight. Below is a picture of how the travel bar looks when in place.
I think this says it all. If the sticker is worn off the out side wall you'll have to check for a stud the bar pushes against.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #13

We also have a 1998. We have a Designer 29RKS. The "travel bars" serve the same purpose as load locks do for a long haul driver. They keep everything in place, everything being the slide(s) in this case. I most definitely wouldn't want to have to repair/replace slide parts, so that is the last thing we do before going out the door. The slides come in, and the locks go into place.

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ext. Cab 4x4 6.0L
1998 Jayco Designer 29RKS
Copperlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:29 AM   #14

My 2006 29Y FeatherLite has these transit bars. Mine are adjustable and spring loaded. A lever isused to spread the two feet apart, with a spring allowing some minor movement that might occur during travel. Found this picture on the web of one installed.

ScottB1957 is offline   Reply With Quote