Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 28
Traveling in January: RV campgrounds open along main roads?

We are new to RVing... planning to pull our Jayco 5th Wheel to Arizona... from the "heartland USA" area... leaving in early January. Likely will go more or less straight south, then west... get out of the cold as quickly as possible.

Question is: Are the RV campgrounds open along the main roads during January, on the road to AZ? Anyone with experiences along Route 40 (old Route 66) west from Oklahoma City, during January?

Thanks!
__________________

CookieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 124
We leave after Christmas from Upper Michigan to Corpus Christi Texas. What we do is check both Good Sam Club directory and Woodalls directory. They both list the campgrounds that are open all year. Also, in the listing is a phone # fot the campground, so we also call and check. Plan your stops and with a little research you will do fine. Safe Travels.
__________________

bad99ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
maromeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 792
We just traveled from AZ to MN and back at the end of Oct early Nov. There was not much of a problem at that time. We used our Trailer Life Directory also to check where there are campgrounds ahead. Don't forget Casino Camping. They are always opened. We camped at Sky City Casino west of Albuquerque for 17.10 per night with full hookups with Good Sam Discount.

Found this site to be helpful for the casino campgrounds.

http://www.casinocampgrounds.com/dir...irectory.shtml

Hope this helps.
__________________
Joe and Mary Anne
1 18 yr old DD
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie Mega Cab 4 X 4
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 428
You are likely to travel through some snow due to the elevation on that route- Flagstaff, Az really has SNOW- I-40 is closed from time to time in that area- Where in Az. are you headed? There are alternate roads dependent on your destination- We can suggest other routes if we knew your destination? JMHO- DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
We are new to RVing... planning to pull our Jayco 5th Wheel to Arizona... from the "heartland USA" area... leaving in early January. Likely will go more or less straight south, then west... get out of the cold as quickly as possible.

Question is: Are the RV campgrounds open along the main roads during January, on the road to AZ? Anyone with experiences along Route 40 (old Route 66) west from Oklahoma City, during January?

Thanks!
__________________
Fulltiming since July 1, 1999 currently with a 2005 GMC Sierra 3500 cc drw towing a 2007 Jayco Eagle 341RLQS
Diesel Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
Site Team
 
Denise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mostly the US
Posts: 10,004
We did a car trip that included heading west from OK to Az on the I-40 a couple of years ago. Our experience that January:

Cold enough to snow in Flagstaff the night we went through, so we arranged to drive that leg through Flagstaff during the day.

From just east of Albuquerque to Az, you might experience some strong head winds. Hope this helps
__________________
moderator
Denise, DH, grandkids, and two rescue pups
-2016 Jay Flight 29QBS Elite
-2016 Ford F-250 XLT 4x2, 6.2L EFI V8, 4.30 Elec Lock, Heavy duty Alt
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Donnie View Post
You are likely to travel through some snow due to the elevation on that route- Flagstaff, Az really has SNOW- I-40 is closed from time to time in that area- Where in Az. are you headed? There are alternate roads dependent on your destination- We can suggest other routes if we knew your destination? JMHO- DD
We are headed for Mesa... during first couple of weeks in January, thereabouts....
CookieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad99ram View Post
We leave after Christmas from Upper Michigan to Corpus Christi Texas. What we do is check both Good Sam Club directory and Woodalls directory. They both list the campgrounds that are open all year. Also, in the listing is a phone # fot the campground, so we also call and check. Plan your stops and with a little research you will do fine. Safe Travels.
We did join the Good Sam club... so, good, will check out the Directories. Thanks!
CookieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by maromeo View Post
We just traveled from AZ to MN and back at the end of Oct early Nov. There was not much of a problem at that time. We used our Trailer Life Directory also to check where there are campgrounds ahead. Don't forget Casino Camping. They are always opened. We camped at Sky City Casino west of Albuquerque for 17.10 per night with full hookups with Good Sam Discount.

Found this site to be helpful for the casino campgrounds.

http://www.casinocampgrounds.com/dir...irectory.shtml

Hope this helps.
Had not thought of the Casino Campgrounds... great suggestion.. in that the wife likes the Casinos! And, they probably have security, too...
CookieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Donnie View Post
You are likely to travel through some snow due to the elevation on that route- Flagstaff, Az really has SNOW- I-40 is closed from time to time in that area- Where in Az. are you headed? There are alternate roads dependent on your destination- We can suggest other routes if we knew your destination? JMHO- DD
How about that Payson, south to Mesa road (looking on the map)? I imagine it is steep in there... and, with a 20,000# rig (truck and trailer), I suppose exciting!
CookieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
maromeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 792
CookieMonster,

The Casino campgrounds do have security. We camped at several on this past trip. Don't forget to ask about the Good Sam discount at any campground or casino campground. It all adds up.

Highway 77 to 260 to 87 can get a little scary with snow. There is a ridge that is 7700 feet between Show Low and Payson that gets pretty risky in the snow. But highway 60 has way too many bends and turns down through Salt River Canyon.
As you get closer to Holbrook, check the weather reports and make your decision which route to take.
__________________

__________________
Joe and Mary Anne
1 18 yr old DD
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie Mega Cab 4 X 4
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.