Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2016, 06:57 PM   #21

Here in western US I have seen some vehicles WAY over the 65 to 70' rule depending on state. I would not worry if you are towing at a reasonable speed and showing do diligence as a driver. To the point on the warrantee I have a friend with a Jayco fifth wheel towing a boat that has welded on the trailer frame. Later he had stress fractures on the rear cap and Jayco replaced the cap under warrantee.
harlana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlana View Post
Here in western US I have seen some vehicles WAY over the 65 to 70' rule depending on state. I would not worry if you are towing at a reasonable speed and showing do diligence as a driver. To the point on the warrantee I have a friend with a Jayco fifth wheel towing a boat that has welded on the trailer frame. Later he had stress fractures on the rear cap and Jayco replaced the cap under warrantee.
Not that I am trying to start an argument here but, IMHO Due Diligence would be ensuring that: 1. vehicles and trailer/s and in good mechanical condition. 2. You are under all weight limits. 3. You are less than max length required by law! Along with following all other rules of the road.
Other wise if it ended up in a court room what would your answer be....Yes your Honor I was aware that I was 12 feet over length but I was going under the speed limit! How far will that get you? Especially after you t-boned the idiot that pulled out in front of you!

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:17 PM   #23

Sorry it was my first post and will be my last
harlana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:08 AM   #24

I love how much crap this post always starts! I will be taking two vehicles to the lake it seems. After figuring out length, weight and all other things involved, I will be way over length and also over weight for my TV. We have to carry a full tank of water in the 5er to the lake because no water hookups. Adds a ton of weight with an 75-85 gallon water tank. The boat itself is a wake boat, so with the tandem axle trailer it weighs in at about 6700 pounds full of fuel and gear with a tongue weight of 350lbs. I'm not worried about being able to tow the choo choo train as much as being able to stop in a reasonable distance.
Palle-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:23 AM   #25

Palle-man,

I commend you for seeking advice and recognizing that it's not all about being able to pull the load and it's more about keeping it on the road and being able to stop it!

I wish more people would think more about how they are going to keep their load under control and being able to stop it without creating an accident. Thanks
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:35 PM   #26

Yes, I agree dalebra. Ironically today about 5pm, an F250 passed me in the left lane of 3 lane I-85 running around 80 mph in heavy traffic pulling a Big Country fiver with a Toyota FX sitting on top of an 18' flat bed trailer. Truly looked like and accident looking for a place to happen.

2020 Ram Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Aisin CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 371FLFS
JaycoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoAl View Post
Yes, I agree dalebra. Ironically today about 5pm, an F250 passed me in the left lane of 3 lane I-85 running around 80 mph in heavy traffic pulling a Big Country fiver with a Toyota FX sitting on top of an 18' flat bed trailer. Truly looked like and accident looking for a place to happen.
Very scary!
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:08 PM   #28

We've double towed on a few previous rigs. I fabbed the receiver hitches and ran the wiring. You can only make things better since what comes as OEM leaves a lot to be desired. Longest rig was 82' front of truck to back of boat. All within weight limits, but over Louisiana state length. But, like the OP, I was only going to the lake not too far away. The shorter double tow was a little over 70' I think, and we went multi states like that. Everybody has their own comfort level so I respect whatever everybody else wants to do.

My personal opinion, with the 377, I probably wouldn't. Boat is a little on the heavy side even with a light tongue, plus the length would be a little too long for me, and even I like to push the limits sometimes. Could it be done, sure, provided the receiver hitch is done right.

Warranty, I have my opinions that I get barked at over, but oh well. As I said before, you can only make the OEM stuff better. I've welded in a few places on our new rig when it was less than a year old. If something breaks, I'm going to fix it anyway, better than LCI would. If you looked at all the stuff I've modded on ours, my warranty was probably out the first week. But, it's ours, I want it like WE want it.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:37 PM   #29

If its a short distance is it worth it to take a chance with this long and heavy a set up? Go set the 5er up, run back pick up boat and life is good. But then, having spent some time up that way, a short distance is all relative lol.. ...with your winds I'd be white knuckling it myself. Good Luck whatever you decide to do.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:01 AM   #30

I'm new to 5ers, having just moved up from a 28' tow-behind. While my relative inexperience is a big factor, I couldn't even imagine putting another 20+/- feet behind my 42' 377RLBH.
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote