Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2018, 03:07 PM   #1

trouble draining black tank

new 336FBOK jayco with half bath in main living area. Does anyone have trouble getting black tank to empty out. When i'm finished drianing tank and look down toilet opening there is still material in tank. Looks like maybe tank is not rectangular in shape and has a step below toilet and then into rest of tank. I say this because there is not much distance between toilet and tank.

Any idea as to problem
Thanks
Harleyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #2

Do you dump with a full tank? I.e. if the tank is not full when you go to dump are you filling it with water?
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #3

Also,it’s a black tank that your poop into. How clean do you really need it to be? As long as it isn’t causing any issues like it’s clogging up or Heavy struvite build up I wouldn’t worry about it
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr8Train View Post
Do you dump with a full tank? I.e. if the tank is not full when you go to dump are you filling it with water?
Yes tanks is atleast 3/4 full. I had to dump 5 pails of water down toilet and even put water hose up drain line as far as I could to flush it out. It looks like the tank has a step in it ( not sure ) under the toilet.
I have since bought a snake and next I use the trailer I’m going to snake the drain and see if there is a blockage.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:12 PM   #5
Site Team

Maybe finish off the black dump with 5 gallons of water down the toilet all at one time to wash off the step in the tank. If it dries out, it's a bear to get loose and out.

Think dried cow plop?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr8Train View Post
Also,it’s a black tank that your poop into. How clean do you really need it to be? As long as it isn’t causing any issues like it’s clogging up or Heavy struvite build up I wouldn’t worry about it
Needs to be clean to keep from getting a build up
Old 08-22-2018, 05:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyjay View Post
Yes tanks is atleast 3/4 full. I had to dump 5 pails of water down toilet and even put water hose up drain line as far as I could to flush it out. It looks like the tank has a step in it ( not sure ) under the toilet.
I have since bought a snake and next I use the trailer I’m going to snake the drain and see if there is a blockage.
I have not seen a tank with a step in it, can't say there are none, but, I have seen a sweep into the tank so you can't really look into the tank. Either way, if your getting a poop pyramid starting I would use more water, so your "waste" is never sitting alone, you want it sitting in liquid. This does happen when you leave the black tank drain open, the liquid flows away leaving all the solids to dry out and harden.. I would make sure you have several inches of liquid in your tank after you dump...either by using your black tank flush your just flushing water down the toilet...last thing you want is dried solids in your tank...

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I have not seen a tank with a step in it, can't say there are none, but, I have seen a sweep into the tank so you can't really look into the tank. Either way, if your getting a poop pyramid starting I would use more water, so your "waste" is never sitting alone, you want it sitting in liquid. This does happen when you leave the black tank drain open, the liquid flows away leaving all the solids to dry out and harden.. I would make sure you have several inches of liquid in your tank after you dump...either by using your black tank flush your just flushing water down the toilet...last thing you want is dried solids in your tank...

Good Luck.
Thanks. Yes I use lots of water. I have emailed Jayco and asked if the tank has a step in it or not.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:22 PM   #9
Site Team

Many black tanks are wide and not deep. You may just be looking at the bottom of the tank.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Many black tanks are wide and not deep. You may just be looking at the bottom of the tank.
Thanks. That is what I was wondering. Thinking of using a snake camera to have a look and see for sure.