Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-12-2022, 04:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by citgodan View Post
We have a 2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS (5th wheel)

This will be a fun game, but also very helpful for someone who may encounter the same issue and save you time and troubles.

While on our last 5 night stay at BlackWater River State Park in the panhandle of FL, we experienced on the last day a foul smell. We had full hookup and did not dump the blank tank, because there was no reason to. The smell was first noticed when we came from outside into the unit. The smell was of a black tank issue. I thought - a vent issue. I climbed on the top of the unit, but did not find a blocked vent. Next I opened the storage areas and the smell was also strong. Next, I drained and rinsed the black tank. After time, I went back into the unit and noticed the smell was back.

At this point I was frustrated and started to google of what the issue could possibly be.

any guesses? This is meant to be interactive, and I will guess there will be some folks with years of experience who will nail what the problem was, but for the ones who have not experienced the problem - it will help in troubleshooting!!! GO!
SAFETY GLASSES, (HYDROGEN GAS/ACID EXPLOSION RISK) pull caps on battery and check water level? IF LOW/dry, turn off all chargers, with caps=OFF and allow to sit for an hour, (to cool and dissipate gas) then INSTALL CAPS, disconnect (potential spark) and remove. Bad battery cells can emit a terrible hydrogen/sulfur odor. GOOD LUCK
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:13 PM   #22

My grey tank always smells way worse than the black tank.
Old 01-12-2022, 06:24 PM   #23

Just throwing this out there, no finger pointing, but how are your grounds? Without a good ground, you will produce resistance (heat)
Old 01-13-2022, 05:41 AM   #24

Citgodan, I ran across this very same battery problem in the Army. I stepped into my M577 command post carrier and noticed a strong smell of rotten eggs. I followed my nose the the battery box which is inside the passenger part of the track. I opened it and could hear a sizzling noise. Taking off a battery cap, the liquid inside was boiling. I evacuated the area, opened the top hatch (carefully to avoid sparks), and called for maintenance.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 09:02 PM   #25

Thank you so much for posting this! Tonight we had a terrible smell that we thought was from the black tank, but the smell was isolated to the side/front of the camper where all the compartments are and throughout the inside of our camper, especially the bedroom above the battery storage compartment. It didn't make sense that it would be a sewer smell because there was no smell on the other side of the camper. We opened the battery compartment and sure enough, it smelled terrible and one of the batteries was very warm. We took it out and are going to replace it. We can't thank you enough for your. help! This is the second time the Jayco owners forum has helped us solve a problem with our camper. Have a great camping season!
ejcorbin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 09:06 PM   #26

Thank you so much for posting this! Tonight we had a terrible smell that we thought was from the black tank, but the smell was isolated to the side/front of the camper where all the compartments are and throughout the inside of our camper, especially the bedroom above the battery storage compartment. It didn't make sense that it would be a sewer smell because there was no smell on the other side of the camper. We opened the battery compartment and sure enough, it smelled terrible and one of the batteries was very warm. We took it out and are going to replace it. We can't thank you enough for your help! This is the second time the Jayco owners forum has helped us solve a problem with our camper. Have a great camping season!
Old 07-17-2022, 05:21 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejcorbin99 View Post
Thank you so much for posting this! Tonight we had a terrible smell that we thought was from the black tank, but the smell was isolated to the side/front of the camper where all the compartments are and throughout the inside of our camper, especially the bedroom above the battery storage compartment. It didn't make sense that it would be a sewer smell because there was no smell on the other side of the camper. We opened the battery compartment and sure enough, it smelled terrible and one of the batteries was very warm. We took it out and are going to replace it. We can't thank you enough for your. help! This is the second time the Jayco owners forum has helped us solve a problem with our camper. Have a great camping season!
Glad you found the problem and cure. I am curious, was the bad battery a sealed unit? I, as well as others here, have had issues with Interstate sealed batteries.
Old 07-17-2022, 05:25 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Never will do lead acid. Deep cycle AGM only. I have had three sets of deep cycle lead acid and all killed by service centers. U would think when they have ur Rv for months waiting on repairs they would turn the switch off. I installed a three way switch like on boats to completely disconnect batteries from FW. See how long flooded lead acid lasts after completely discharged a few times. At least AGM will not boil out acid everywhere.

X2 on service centers. Dropped my 5er off for warranty (too many times), and forgot to disconnect my (pre lithium) lead acid battery. I had a simple twist knob disconnect on the terminal to fully disconnect it. I called the dealer the same day and they nearly refused to disconnect it, stating they may damage something. BS. I said "OK, since you are going to damage my battery you can just give me another battery when I pick it up". 2 MONTHS later when I picked it up the negative battery cable was unbolted and laying there. They did it, but evidently they have never seen a twist knob disconnect....
So far going lithium has been trouble free. 5er is currently at dealer for warranty issues 34, 35, and 36 for 45 days now. Last time I called they haven even looked at it yet.

Not concerned about the lithium batteries, they can take care of themselves.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 08:03 AM   #29

It was an Interstate Marine/RV Deep Cycle battery, but it was sealed. The smell is gone this morning, which is shocking for as bad as it was.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:14 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejcorbin99 View Post
It was an Interstate Marine/RV Deep Cycle battery, but it was sealed. The smell is gone this morning, which is shocking for as bad as it was.
They seem to have issues with the sealed units. Both of mine did the same in a brand-new camper last fall, and one vented on the compartment wall.