Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #21

The trailer is a 2013 351RLTS. The factory specs are 12,000 pounds total and 2400 on the pin. I have no idea how much weight is on the legs.

The rep from Atwood told me the jack is rated to 5500 pounds.

He put the gearbox on today with the camped hooked to my truck. When he was done, he raised the jack until it started to raise the truck and called it good. I was standing there. It looked okay to me. I guess the jack runs into problems when it becomes responsible for all of the weight.

The jack was installed on the frame by Lippert. I learned that much last week. Jayco gets the frame from Lippert with the jack already there. When they are mass-producing those frames, how can they really know if the jack they are putting on there will be adequate for the trailer that is eventually built?

As soon as the warranty is out on this thing, I think I will install a two motor system. The one from Bulldog looks pretty good. I am hoping that somebody from Jayco will agree that this jack is inadequate and that they'll spring for an upgrade. I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Here is the Bulldog I've got my eye on:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jac.../BD500161.html
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:44 PM   #22

I just used the two floor jack method to unload the trailer from the truck in my driveway. As we pump the floor jacks up on either side, we can use the motor on the landing gear jacks to drive the legs down. That worked fine, and it will get me by this weekend.

I am convinced the motor on this jack has been bad from day one. From the very day I picked up this camper, the motor has always sounded like it strained to raise the camper. It also has always opened the breaker frequently.

I'll drop it off at the dealer's lot again early next week, and I'll tell them to call me when it is fixed. My next trip will be July 3.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:35 AM   #23

As I have the exact same rig I am following this problem . Please keep us updated
bad99ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:07 AM   #24

Mine was clutching out of the gate upon initial pick up and got worse as I went higher to the point of complete 100% clutching. Motor was replaced and would take the load until the breaker kicked in and kept kicking in as it was only 20 A from the factory and needs to be 30A. If your breaker is the problem and not the motor clutching, then you can replace the breaker in your basement behind the rear wall panel on the door side.

There all the breakers are located as well as the remote control panel if equipped. At least that would get you on and off to get it into the dealer without too many issues.

Since all the work my, unit goes up and down without too much issue and the motor no longer quits or clutches.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:14 AM   #25

That's good info about the breaker. I'll have to take a look at that.

I'm getting a lot of clutching, so I guess I've got two issues.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:22 AM   #26

I called Atwood a couple of times yesterday. The part number on my motor is no longer a valid number. The Jayco rep gave me the new part number. He wouldn't tell me what the difference is in the part numbers.

I am wondering if the old part number could have been a problem part.

I am also wondering how long Lippert may have had this on the shelf before putting it on this frame...

Just thinking out loud here.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:56 AM   #27

Attwood has a method to confirming the issue the dealers must go through. One significant issue was a leg binding up as well. So three main problems all diagnosed in a sequence which led to the eventual resolution.

The motor does not change sounds any longer going up, which tells me it's good. Before it would struggle as it approached level, popping breakers.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:06 AM   #28

Yes, that's exactly what mine does. It's what it has always done.

The dealer said they would completely disassemble the system when I return it, so I trust they'll find all the problems this time. I'll also pass along what I learned from Atwood and here.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:56 PM   #29

My unit went back to the dealer today. The service guy got to hand crank it to unhitch it from the truck, so he has seen the issues first hand now.

I believe the service guy and the warranty clerk both agree with me that the motor is junk. She (the warranty clerk) told me she would deal with Atwood directly, so maybe the resolution will be a fast one.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #30

You can add it but it's stupid expensive, Lippert will send you the parts, the motor alone is $380, gear box $70 and leg is $150. better off to change to hydraulic if you can.
Money2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:00 PM   #31

Update: I got a call from the dealer this morning. They are experiencing the same frustrations trying to raise the trailer with the jack that I've been experiencing. They agree with me that the motor on the jack is underpowered for this trailer. They are going to try to get Jayco to spring for an upgrade to a two motor system.

We'll see how this goes.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:20 PM   #32

This may get ugly...

My dealer called a little while ago to tell me that they finally got to talk to someone from Jayco this morning. Jayco is playing "blame the customer." The Jayco rep told the dealer that "the customer will never admit it, but he probably dropped the trailer from the truck onto the jack, which ruined the thrust bearings in the jack."

That is complete BS. It sounds like they are just trying to get out of making the proper repairs.

At any rate, two new jack legs are on the way to the dealer from Atwood. No new motor yet. Jayco wants the old jack legs so they can inspect them.

I am completely convinced that whatever is wrong with this jack happened before I took possession of the trailer, and probably before the dealer took delivery of the trailer.

I have been in the field service business for 30 years. "Blame the customer" is never a good strategy for success, and it usually has an ugly ending.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
This may get ugly...

My dealer called a little while ago to tell me that they finally got to talk to someone from Jayco this morning. Jayco is playing "blame the customer." The Jayco rep told the dealer that "the customer will never admit it, but he probably dropped the trailer from the truck onto the jack, which ruined the thrust bearings in the jack."

That is complete BS. It sounds like they are just trying to get out of making the proper repairs.

At any rate, two new jack legs are on the way to the dealer from Atwood. No new motor yet. Jayco wants the old jack legs so they can inspect them.

I am completely convinced that whatever is wrong with this jack happened before I took possession of the trailer, and probably before the dealer took delivery of the trailer.

I have been in the field service business for 30 years. "Blame the customer" is never a good strategy for success, and it usually has an ugly ending.
A trailer should be able to take a little bit of use before falling apart. At best you have 8 inches between your bed rails and the trailer... so 3-4 inch drop of sorts shouldn't be the end of the world, and your pin weight is how much?

Or did you mean customer = factory and dealer that use tractors and forklifts to move stuff around who could actually drop I mean lower the unit down at a fair rate of speed from a decent height.

In construction a jack takes abuse. had a flat bed that I would load up all the time - the truck the jack took lots of impact not intentional but it happened never had an issue with it. but it also wasn't a wimpy looking thing like I see on my 5th wheel.

Build a decent trailer so you know when there is abuse VS POS wasn't made well enough hope it last.

yes im annoyed... and its not even my trailer. Good luck.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:09 AM   #34

dropped

[QUOTE=etex211;208541]This may get ugly...

I just dropped my unit on to the back of my truck two days ago. Fortunately it only dropped about 3 inches. Did minor damage to my truck rails. I had the extenders down on my jack legs so fortunately had enough leg left to lift the unit all the way up to the limit of them to get the unit back on my hitch. I ran the unit all the way down and up checking for damage. I guess I was extremely lucky because no damage that I could find. You can find that story posted in my "Oh Crap Moment" post previously.
Good luck with Jayco

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #35

I picked my camper up from the dealer Wednesday. Two new jack legs and a new breaker are installed. The tone of the motor when raising the camper generally sounds better, but I am still having the breaker cut out a lot.

Jayco wants the old jack legs back from the dealer so they can inspect them. The dealer told me that if Jayco determines that they are bent in any way, then Jayco will charge the dealer back for the new ones. The dealer can't see any evidence of any damage to the jack legs.

The dealer also told me that at this year's Jayco dealer conference, there was lots and lots of complaining about the warranty support provided by Jayco. I can believe that. My dealer has been great throughout this entire episode, but I don't have a good feeling about Jayco at all.

I am still not pleased with the performance of these jacks, and I doubt that I ever will be. When my warranty expires in 15 months, I will probably replace the jacks with a pair of jacks with individual motors, probably from Bulldog or Ultrafab.

Manufacturer reputation was one of the things that influenced my decision to purchase Jayco. I am now wondering where that reputation came from.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #36

Our Jayco warranty was A-1 when needed...best I've ever encountered.

Just saying....

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:46 PM   #37

Did they install any sort of upgraded jacks? Or offer credit towards a different set? . One thing you might do is check the wiring connections and battery. Bad grounds, splicing, wrong Guage of wire would add to blowing a breaker
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:37 AM   #38

I know each warranty issue is different. Different problems, different RV model, different dealer, different owner and all with different expectations of the proper resolution. I for one have found my dealer AND Jayco to be first rate in warranty issues. One claim I had was with with my second Thetford potty (I'm now on potty #3 also covered by Jayco). Thetford declined the warranty since it was after one year, but Jayco covered it. The most expensive claim I have had is my Norcold refrigerator. Jayco didn't even hesitate to replace it after complete failure. The only delay for me was the shipping time to get it to the dealer.

Again, I have found Jayco warranty first rate.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:50 AM   #39

[QUOTE=edatlanta;212047The only delay for me was the shipping time to get it to the dealer.[/QUOTE]

That is the biggest complaint from my dealer and the other dealers they have compared notes with. Jayco's "normal" turnaround time for shipping warranty parts to the dealer is 3-4 weeks.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #40

If I try to open my big slides when I am not on shore power they go real slow and sometimes pop the breaker. Voltage drops to low.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote