Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2021, 04:46 PM   #1

Truck bed trailer plug

Hi folks,

So we had our first trip with the new 29.5 BHDS this weekend. It didn’t start off the greatest. We got a couple miles north of our town and my service trailer brake system lights came on in my 2018 Sierra 2500 and I lost the trailer brakes. The trailer was plugged into the Hopkins 7 round plug the RV dealer installed in my truck bed. With the trailer being new, the trailer brakes were not completely adjusted yet. I was using the trailer brake controller in manual to get the brakes to set in. In full disclosure I was riding them pretty hard down the large hill in town. We circled back to our GM dealer in town and I pulled the trailer brake fuse thinking it was that. Swapped it out and no go, light still on and no brakes. The tech came out and ran the scan tool and laptop on it. 5 codes were stored that included short to ground, but the 30 amp trailer brake fuse wasn’t blown. They plugged the trailer into my factory bumper 7 round, cleared the codes and tested the factory trailer plug for function and to verify voltage changed when I changed the gain on the controller. All worked fine so away we went with the trailer plugged into the bumper. We stopped back at home quick so the kids and dog could go potty since a couple hours had passed. I put some dielectric grease on the trailer plug and moved it back to the plug in the bed. We go to leave and as soon as I hit the brakes the service trailer brakes light comes back on and no brakes. I put my scan tool on it and same codes as before. I move the trailer plug back to the factory plug, clear the codes, brakes work again, and off we go. No issues with it all the way to and from campground.

What’s odd is I used the bed plug when I pulled unit home and no issues. It also never blew the 30 amp fuse so I’m not buying the short to ground code. I’m wondering if the aftermarket plug uses smaller wire for the trailer brake line, it got hot, increased resistance, and the trailer module on the truck “thought” there was a short to ground?

Anyone have this happen to them or have any suggestions?
Loomis077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:08 PM   #2

Make sure the plug the dealer wired in has a good ground. If it works from the existing plug but not the new one that is likely the problem. Check for proper power at each pin of the new connector.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:44 PM   #3

I connected the trailer to the bed plug today after we got home from camping and all of the lights and brakes cycled fine with no issue. It never tripped the service trailer brake light.

I think what I will do is take that plug harness apart and make sure the dealer put dielectric grease in the plugs and make sure they are inserted all the way. The only thing I could think that was different from when I initially pulled it home was that I did pull the plug out of the bed side to touch up paint the bare metal where they used the hole saw. Maybe I did something to partially unplug the wiring harness without realizing it.
Old 06-25-2021, 05:20 PM   #4

Three things to look at.
One is of course as you said to check to be sure the wires are firmly seated and secured tight in their correct points.
Two, be sure that none of the wires have been skinned or compromised where they run through metal holes or against metal edges.
Three if 1 and 2 fail, check the connections the dealer made into the trucks wire harness. Hopefully they used plug and play but if they spliced wires this is a weak point to be sure and if done poorly could be placing heavy resistance on your break wire. Also checking for any open or poorly insulated areas...

Hope you get it figured out
Ironrosefarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:19 PM   #5

Update:

I pulled the plug back out of the bed side, dropped the spare tire, and took all of the dealer installed plug and play harness apart. Prior to pulling the harness plugs apart, I checked that they were all completely plugged in. One of them on the bottom of the truck felt like maybe it wasn’t. After I pulled them apart, I coated all of the plug pins with dielectric grease and plugged them back in. Also unplugged the harness from the back of the 7 round and greased that. I put dielectric grease on the 7 round plug, plugged everything in, and it all worked fine. I had to tow the camper back to dealership because my fridge won’t get cold enough and I never had any issues with the bed side plug. I might also mention that all of the wire loom on the harness was in great shape and I used a few zip ties to support the coiled up harness better so the weight isn’t on the plug.

Fingers crossed, this issue has been resolved!