Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2019, 06:39 PM   #21

My factory GY Kevlars are smooth as silk but have only 14K on them so the jury is still out. I think most tire manufacturers make a pretty decent tire but when my GY's wears out I'm going to take a hard look at the Firestone Transforce brand. Heard good things about them.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:06 AM   #22

Thanks for all the responses and good discussions. My decision came down to Bridgestone Dueler HT or the Firestone Transforce HT2. I went with the Bridgestone, mostly because there were few reviews on the Firestone HT2's. And most of those applications were on commercial fleets. I think it is a good tire, but Discount Tire (America's Tires on the west coast) had a little better price than Firestone did. I hope to get at least 60,000 out of these. While the factory Michelin's have been good for me, I just couldn't see paying the extra $40 per tire for them new. Thanks again
Old 04-03-2019, 04:59 AM   #23

We have Goodyear & that has been all we run on the 5vr, truck & car. We haven't had any issues (knocking on wood here) with them. Of course, the truck tires have to be purchased from a Goodyear truck dealer.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:03 AM   #24

Michelin V Toyo

My 2015 F-350, 6.7L came with Michelin LT275/65/20 FDT A/T2 LTX tires. I drive my truck like I stole it. More than 1/2 the miles are towing 15,000 # 5er. The Michelins lasted me about 35,000 miles. I replaced them with Toyo Open Country A/T tires - I had these on previous truck. These tires last me about 53,000 miles. They run quiet and get great traction in mud and snow.

2019 Jayco 317RLOK
2015 F-350, 6.7L, SRW, Bilstein Rear Shocks
Chesterfield, Missouri

billgburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:58 AM   #25

Most tires these days have tread wear indicators - if you are down to the indicators it is time to replace. If there are no indicators, I use the motor vehicle safety inspection guide which says no less than 2/32" at any point in the tread surface.

Other than that, it is really what you are comfortable with as far as wear.
OTTERCOMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:45 PM   #26

Tires

After a lot of research I went with the Cooper Discovered AT3 LXT.
Dondevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaandDon View Post
I know their not the same but..... If NASCAR believes in Goodyear, then so do I..

You do realize that GY is the tire selected by NASCAR because they pay NASCAR and have an exclusive contract. DO you have a contract with GY?

Bridgestone/Firestone has a contract with Indianapolis

Pirelli has a contract in F1.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTERCOMET View Post
Most tires these days have tread wear indicators - if you are down to the indicators it is time to replace. If there are no indicators, I use the motor vehicle safety inspection guide which says no less than 2/32" at any point in the tread surface.

Other than that, it is really what you are comfortable with as far as wear.

No indicators would mean the tires are in violation of DOT regulations and are not legal for highway use.🤢
Old 04-07-2019, 08:56 AM   #29

I have used Michelin's on and off for the past 50 years. I say on and off because every time I switch to get something less expensive, I regret it due to the change in handling and the ride. So.....I am now a confirmed Michelin user regardless of cost. They also last longer in the 60K and over range.
Pinnacle Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #30

I currently have BF Goodrich on and it's been a good tire. In fact they are going to "age out" instead of wear out. I'm still going to switch to Michelin for asmoother, quieter ride and a little more MPG's
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:38 PM   #31

My 2cents. I look at the DOT number on tires and after 5 years I start shopping. Then again most mine never last that long. The second thing to look at (previously mentioned) is the TWI (tread wear indicator) I will personally run a tire till it wears into them most tires are at about 3/32". My tires I am running are the Falken Wildpeak AT3w. After towing with them from Idaho to California pulling a 5er I think next go around will be something more of a highway tire. While I have had these tires in frost here in Idaho and loose beach sand down in California they have not left me worrying about traction. As for longevity, it's still too early to tell. They have about 3500 miles on them now and still look new.
PistonSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:27 PM   #32

When I had my Excursion and towing a 35’ TT, I always bought 10-ply Michelin tires. I never had any issues and I typically got 60-65K miles out of them. Now my F450 DRW had Continental tires when I bought it. They were showing some dry rot so I replaced all 6 tires. I stayed with Continental tires over Michelin due to price. The front tires went about 50K miles before being replaced and the rear tires have 65K miles and still look good on tread. I think age will be an issue before tread wear. I’m completely satisfied with the Continentals. Key is proper inflation and rotation.
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:57 PM   #33

Nexen Tire Plant in Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
My 2017 RAM 3500 DRW came with NEXEN TIRE
ROADIAN HTX RH5. I wasn't going to go out and purchase new tires on a brand new truck but I will say they are very good riding tires. Have towed my FW about 7,400 miles with a total of 14,323 miles on them and they still look new. For an inexpensive tire I feel they are holding up very well. Made in Korea I believe.
Nexen is a Korean company. They are building their 1st tire manufacturing plant in North America in Dayton, Tennessee. Broke ground in 2018, advertising for employees now, planned production in 2020. I hqve heard good things about the Nexan Tires. I'm a Michelin guy mostly. I have approximately 36,000 miles on E-Rated Michelin LTX MS2's. They still look good. I got 118,000 on the same tire I had on a Ford Explorer that I drove daily before I retired. I have 60,000 on a set on my wife's Expedition right now but they probably will be replaced this summer.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:18 AM   #34

My F250 came with BF Goodrich. When I replaced I put the same tire back on. I have had good service with the tires. Next time around I will probably use the same tire if available. Discount Tire told me that they are made by Michelin cost was $2.00 less per tire than the Michelin.
GilaCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:43 AM   #35

I had the same issue with my 3500 Silverado. Come to find out there is a special balancing machine for these type tires. No problems ever since. Our dealership didn’t have the tool but found one to get it done. No problems now.
RDWarriors2! is offline   Reply With Quote