Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2020, 11:48 AM   #1

Truck to 5th wheel wiring

So..... I had a mishap on my way home today. We have an ‘07 Designer 35RLSA. I Pulled into a parking lot to do a safety check a couple miles from the camp ground. I was turning around and somehow my wire harness got caught and pulled completely away from the camper. Dash in my truck went off and said trailer disconnected. I stopped, got back out to look and sure enough, the harness was attached to the truck and had pulled completely out of the pin box. We made it home very slowly and I started digging into where it connects. My question is, are the wires connected color to color or is there some sort of diagram that I need. Also, I have 2 large white wires and 2 large black wires on the trailer side. I’m assuming the 2 white get connected to the umbilical card white going to the truck and the 2 black to the black on the umbilical cord. It has taken a bit but I think I have all of the wires coming from the trailer located. Any help would be appreciated. Really hoping to not have to chase down every wire to verify. I need to get this corrected so I can install the “In the bed” 7 pin connector that we just purchased. If only I had installed it sooner.....
Red Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to JOF from the lowcountry of SC. You know the in bed connector is just a plug in on most newer trucks. You can purchase one for your make of truck without cutting any wires.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:22 PM   #3

Yea, I found one on Amazon and already have it. We have only been home 5 days in the past month so no time to install. I should have taken the time tho, it would have been much quicker and less painful.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:24 PM   #4

As a side note, I painstakingly tracked down the wiring. If anyone else ever does this, the color codes mate up. There are 2 large white wires and 2 large black wires from the trailer. Bothe tie together and then to their respective color on the umbilical cable going to the truck.the yellow wire on the cord is for back up lighting. Since my trailer doesn’t have them I just capped it off.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:01 PM   #5
Site Team

Thanks for the follow up. On my last truck, I had to replace the in bed connector and it was spliced. The new one had different color wires but thankfully, I was able to mark them on the old one and splice them up correctly. This time I soldered each wire and properly waterproofed it.

I just had one installed in my newest truck and it was plug and play.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote