Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-27-2013, 01:21 AM   #21

My dealer and I originally considered using all of the existing jacks and manually powering each one with a separate rocker switch, but apparently the auto-leveler rear jacks have enough power to damage the frame & slide-outs. Instead they recommended replacing the rear auto-leveling jacks with the Lippert electric rear stabilizers.
2013 Jayco Premier 321 RLTS w/Atwood Levelegs (now removed)
ckdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #22

I think I'd rather just have the aftermarket Bigfoot hydraulic system. Based on what I see here, it doesn't seem like the Jayco/Atwood system is "ready for prime-time"!!
Dual Pane Windows
Rear View Safety backup camera
Macerator system
northmeck0255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #23

http://thebigfootleveler.com/5th_Wheel_Systems.html
Dual Pane Windows
Macerator system
Old 12-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by northmeck0255 View Post
I think I'd rather just have the aftermarket Bigfoot hydraulic system. Based on what I see here, it doesn't seem like the Jayco/Atwood system is "ready for prime-time"!!

Although some issues, many owner operator error (myself included), my preference is the electric...no hydraulics on-board for me.

Once you operate the Atwood system correctly the issues go away...or should.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #25

I suppose there are positives and negatives to all systems, but this particular Atwood system doesn't seem to be very well designed or at least not "user friendly". We had hydraulic levelers on our motorhome and loved them. I would greatly prefer hydraulic levelers AND slides to the electric ones. To each his own.
Dual Pane Windows
Macerator system
Old 12-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #26

We have had our jayco premier for 6 months now with the 4 point electric Atwood "levelegs". Yes it will level side to side and front to back. I look at the site (pad) before unhitching from the TV. If there is lot of angle to the site, I'll put blocks under the leg or legs that have to travel the longest. So far no problems. Easy to use. I also like that there is hardly any rocking or shakiness in the RV. Lot more solid than our last 5th wheel. Glad we have it and will get it again if we get another RV.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2014 Jayco Premier 361REQS
Super Springs
Yamerhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #27

We have them on our 2012 Pinnacle and after the first use, I too was outside cranking the leg with the hand crank. Only after receiving no help from Route 66 warranty personnel, did I realize that the gear was stripped on my front passenger side leg. Took it back to the dealer and they replaced the gear as well as upgrading the controller. Mine was version 1 and they are on level 4 now. AS others have said, you must follow the steps to the letter of you will be in a bind. I attended the Louisville dealer show yesterday and spoke with an Atwood rep and he said they are getting ready to release version 5 of the controller. When I asked what was changing, he said not much just a few tweaks. He too agreed that it was in need of a reset function so you can "go home" and start over. They do a great job but my confidence is shaken with them and I am apprehensive but love my unit so much that I would not want to change anything. BTW, if you ever do need to crank them by hand, disconnect the fuse from the controller corresponding to that leg and it will disengage the motor, or so I have heard. The controller is mounted on the ceiling of the storage bay
dennisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #28

We have the Atwood system on our Pinnacle and I love it! My dealer tried to show me how to use it and they couldn't figure it out. After some trial and error and FOLLOWING the printed instructions, it works great. You must follow the safety instructions, no variation.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:42 PM   #29

After being assured that my 2014 Pinnacle Atwood levelers had been adjusted to correct malfunctioning, took it home in Nov. 2013 to await our annual pilgrimage to Texas in January. Proceeded to hook 5W to truck in prep for Jan. trip, followed hookup instructions to a t and nothing worked right. Panic call to dealer found them to be off until after the holidays. Call to Atwood tech. helped me at least get truck attached to 5W but he admitted that just reprogramming wasn't going to get it working right and said to get it to the dealer as soon as they opened for business again. I was able to contact the dealer 3 days before we were scheduled to leave for Texas. They got us in right away, were able to get a great guy from Atwood over there. He checked things out very methodically, found that it didn't operate properly at all. I figured it probably would need a new control board. Atwood man didn't think so, came to the conclusion that the right front leg motor and gearbox needed replacing. Because Atwood's factory is very close to my dealer, he drove back, picked up a new motor unit and replaced the old one. Only have to take out two machine bolts to replace motor and if it hadn't been insanely hard to reach one of the bolts on my Pinnacle, the procedure could be done in only 15 minutes. Levelers worked perfectly after that procedure, we are now now at our Texas site and am at last happy with the world. Part of the earlier frustration stems from the fact that when one portion of the mechanical legs malfunctions the system computer seems to not recognize the precise problem and causes malfunction in other areas of the system. I am grateful that the Atwood rep who fixed mine was knowledgeable enough about his product that he was able to ascertain the probable cause.
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #30

As a footnote, the Atwood man said that if one ever needs to use the hand crank to adjust legs, disconnect electric to the leg you are cranking to make it substantially easier. There is a dynamic breaking that takes place if electrical current is supplied to the leg. Each of the 4 legs can be disconnected at the control box and they are clearly marked, at least on mine.
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote