Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2019, 08:52 AM   #1

Talking TST sensors

Replaced the batteries in my TST cap sensors. Had to also replace most of the
O rings too.

TST said you can apply a little di-electric grease to o rings.

Seems easier to use q tip and apply to edge of cap instead of o ring itself.

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
Replaced the batteries in my TST cap sensors. Had to also replace most of the O rings too. TST said you can apply a little di-electric grease to o rings. Seems easier to use q tip and apply to edge of cap instead of o ring itself.
Also replaced mine. Plan to do so every 12 months even though they say they last 2 or more years. Well worth the few extra bucks each year!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:15 AM   #3

I had an "O" ring go bad (torn, cut,etc) while prepping the TT on the driveway, had a flat but luckily just some air and new O ring, good to go. I remove my sensors between trips, during storage, etc., so I must have gotten one sideways and damaged the O ring.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
I had an "O" ring go bad (torn, cut,etc) while prepping the TT on the driveway, had a flat but luckily just some air and new O ring, good to go. I remove my sensors between trips, during storage, etc., so I must have gotten one sideways and damaged the O ring.
Those 0 rings are pretty fragile!
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 08-07-2019, 01:20 PM   #5

The OP is referring to the O ring that seals the battery cap not the seal that screws on the valve stem.
15 Gal Aux Gas Tank
Double Tow 2016 Yamaha Viking Side x Side
Donpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:46 PM   #6

I read this post earlier this morning. In doing so, I thought to myself. “I have never changed the batteries in the TST 507 sensors.” I utilize the RV several times per year for weekend trips plus a couple extended trips. They (the TPMS system) have never failed to work as expected. I checked my records. I purchased, and installed, the system in March 2014 which makes the batteries five + years old. The sensors have only been off the valve stem once in July 2015 when I purchased tires and metal stems.
Well, after reading this post, I decided to change mine, thinking it is about time!!! Now for the hard part. That being, finding 1632 batteries in the rural area where I reside. The first store just laughed and wished me luck. The next three stores had the same story. Luckily, the final, and last, store had four. (no new battery for the spare)
I have not neglected to change the batteries intentionally, I adhere to the adage, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
Why and I telling you this? I don’t know.

Just enjoy camping
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:51 PM   #7

Amazon has them
Old 08-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #8

So the House Ways and Means Committee has just given me the green light for the TST TPMS system for the August budget.

Looking at the wheels, we have rubber stems. That means we cannot use the flow-thru sensors and must use the cap sensors unless of course we take the rig out to a shop and swap stems.

Worth it? Or just use cap sensors? We are mostly static now in our travels but will be on the road full time in about 2 mos. and traveling every two weeks or even more often.

Curious what all y'all with more miles under your belt have found.

Thanks as always

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
So the House Ways and Means Committee has just given me the green light for the TST TPMS system for the August budget.Looking at the wheels, we have rubber stems. That means we cannot use the flow-thru sensors and must use the cap sensors unless of course we take the rig out to a shop and swap stems. Worth it? Or just use cap sensors? We are mostly static now in our travels but will be on the road full time in about 2 mos. and traveling every two weeks or even more often.
Thanks as alwaysAngus
Angus, I've used the cap sensors for over 1 1/2 years and have no problem with them. I didn't want to go with the flow-through sensors because they stick out quite a bit further than the cap sensors and are more exposed to flying debris, rocks, etc. Your valve stems are not entirely rubber. There is metal between the rubber and the valve cap. There are three different types of valve stems............all rubber, half rubber & metal & all metal.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 08-07-2019, 05:33 PM   #10
Site Team

I had my system before they came out with flow thru sensors. I like the cap sensors. I had a problem when I first got mine with the halfmetal/ half rubber stems leaking from time to time at cruising speed. I changed over to short all metal stems and have not had any problems since.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:58 PM   #11

Check the reviews on the flow thru type and the cap style. I went with the cap tyle.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:00 AM   #12

Quote:
So the House Ways and Means Committee has just given me the green light for the TST TPMS system for the August budget.

Looking at the wheels, we have rubber stems. That means we cannot use the flow-thru sensors and must use the cap sensors unless of course we take the rig out to a shop and swap stems.

Worth it? Or just use cap sensors? We are mostly static now in our travels but will be on the road full time in about 2 mos. and traveling every two weeks or even more often.

Thanks as always

Angus
Angus I bought my TST system last year. On the box it says can be used on rubber or metal valve stems.

Also you can buy directly from TST.

Think you will be very happy with their product.

Good luck

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
Old 08-08-2019, 09:02 AM   #13

BTW the flow thru as mentioned stick out way too far.

The cap sensors work great.

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
Old 08-08-2019, 02:19 PM   #14

Thanks Guys, just pulled the trigger and went with the Cap System.

Curious how many of you installed the repeater. Several YouTubes - those produced by TechnoRV as well as other 3rd parties- seem to treat them as an afterthought as if they are not commonly needed. I'm OK with installing it by tapping a power wire that would be hot when the RV is plugged in - like a running light or something. That way I don't have to remember to hook up the Young Frankenstein battery clamps when I travel (TechnoRV video).

Oh yeah and I did order from from TechnoRV; I like their business model and style.

Thanks again,

Angus
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
Old 08-12-2019, 08:33 PM   #15

Stay tuned, I have an update as soon aa I get time.
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:52 PM   #16

I have the TST 507 on my 377 almost 43' and it's 21 ft from my rv axle to the axle on my motorcycle trailer which makes it about 60' to my monitor on my windshield and have never needed the repeater that came with it.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #17

So we just got the TST system with the Cap stems and I have noticed some changes made since the TechnoRV site and all ya'll have described them.

The cap batteries are now the common 2032 button batteries that you can get just about anywhere - even drug stores and many convenience stores.

Instead of the allen wrench and set-screw used on the stem for theft deterrence, they now supply a brass jamb nut that goes on the tire stem first before the cap, then backs into the cap after it is screwed on using a special wrench supplied, The wrench looks similar to the ones previously described for the flow-through sensors. I have no real context to judge weather or not this is a good change.

I've programed the caps and receiver and was pleased with the set-up. I'll install the stem caps in the morning when it is not 96 degrees with thunder and lightning out!

-Angus
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
Old 08-14-2019, 03:37 PM   #18

Quote:
So we just got the TST system with the Cap stems and I have noticed some changes made since the TechnoRV site and all ya'll have described them. The cap batteries are now the common 2032 button batteries that you can get just about anywhere - even drug stores and many convenience stores. Instead of the allen wrench and set-screw used on the stem for theft deterrence, they now supply a brass jamb nut that goes on the tire stem first before the cap, then backs into the cap after it is screwed on using a special wrench supplied, The wrench looks similar to the ones previously described for the flow-through sensors. I have no real context to judge weather or not this is a good change. I've programed the caps and receiver and was pleased with the set-up. I'll install the stem caps in the morning when it is not 96 degrees with thunder and lightning out! -Angus
Good job Angus..........I never bothered with the anti-theft system on my sensors. Have used them for well over a year and have had no attempts to have them ripped off. My slides hang over all my wheels and since I check my pressures regularly, I didn't want to be bothered with the extra step.......JMHO. Glad you have them. There's a certain feeling of comfort that comes with them!
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 08-18-2019, 07:26 AM   #19

I started out with the cap sensors on my Jayco. A couple of tires seemed to always need air (would lose 3-5 pounds every couple of months) so I switched to the flow through sensors for ease of adding air. Never really had good luck with them. On 2 different occasions, road debris hit them and damaged them. I assume because they stick out farther then the cap sensors. Now have gone back to the cap sensors.
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:32 AM   #20

Last year I changed my tst o-rings & batteries. I made a mistake and did not
change one of the small rubber washers that goes between the sensor and the
valve stem. Got ready to leave and the tires on 5 wheel looked inflated but sensor
went off showing 28 lb in L/F. The rubber washer was bad.
My fault, be sure to change the sensor to valve steam washer.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote