Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-17-2020, 11:00 AM   #1

TT to 5whl two model comparison

Going to get our first 5whl we have been TT people till now but would like something easier to move around currently have a 32 IBTS and tired of the length. Most time just me and wife but sometimes kids and grandkids come, personally think that extra visitors is less and less as time goes on. So am considering the 29.5 BHOK and the 317RLOK pretty sure the wife wants the extra beds but for sure we want the outside kitchen. I have plenty of truck for anything 2012 Ram 3500 dually Dsl but would in the future like to get smaller truck. I know the 29.5 is a HT but looking for opinions on these two models.
djcoop52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:05 AM   #2

I have an 29.5 bhds eagle ht. Love the floor plan giant bunks with a door. The outside kitchen is amazing with the grill sink and tv. The outside fridge is very large with additional storage next to it. My model also has extra rear storage accessible from the back or side. The new 2021 have bigger water tanks are carpetless and have a king bed option they come standard with auto level and the solid steps.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:44 AM   #3

I guess it all depends on what you want. You want a bunkhouse with a FULL outdoor kitchen, or rear living/no bunkhouse with a partial outdoor kitchen. Full odk has the bed in the front with a wardrobe slide. The rear living has the bed in the slide with a full front wardrobe. With the front wardrobe, I believe its bigger than the slide out wardrobe, but you have to climb over the bed to get to it if you dont put out the bed slide. The other, you ain't getting to the wardrobe UNLESS you put out the slide.
Long and short of it my previous 5th we bought brand new and it came with a full odk. I said I'll probably wont use it, and I didn't the first time we used it. The 2nd outing my fingers got all grubby making s'mores at the fire. As I'm walking to the trailer I'm thinking of how I'm gonna open the door, turn on the faucet without making a mess. Then the light came on and said "hey stupid! You got a sink OUTSIDE!" LOL! We ended up getting rid of that because of constant breakdown/repair issues and buying our Northpoint with everything we wanted. Last year DW and I had the conversation if we were going to keep what we got or trade up to something newer, different floor plan, etc because the daughter is 16 and won't be campng with us much longer. Nothing out there really blows our dress up to make us want to change. So I dropped $3k into ours and converted it from drum to disc brakes. BIG difference is stopping power.
Either way you decide, I will say the must have's are 1. 2nd A/C unit, and B. six point auto leveling system. And for me one other thing is the FULL odk.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:23 AM   #4

We went from a bunkhouse TT to the 317RLOK because the kids grew up and only a couple times a year does anyone stay with us and need a place to sleep. Still wanted the outdoor kitchen and the 317 checked all the boxes.
bender88 is offline   Reply With Quote