Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2020, 12:57 PM   #1

Question TV Antenna Input

Many RV Parks do not have cable. Factory Jayco TV Antenna is too weak. Can I use an outside HD 300 mile range antenna by connecting input coax to my RV cable input and function as if I have cable vs the power boost antenna input? Anyone have experience with this concept? Tks for you reply.
Paco6048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco6048 View Post
Can I use an outside HD 300 mile range antenna .
Paco6048, If you think, for a moment, that you can get a "300 mile range antenna" that actually works for stations 300 miles away, I got some real nice swamp land with a bridge for sell ... cheap
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:34 PM   #3

Not looking for a smart answer

Factory RV antennas typically pick up 25-40 mile range. By using more powerful antenna with 300 mile range, hopefully one could get 75-100 mile radius. Like I said, I was not looking for smart answer but something helpful. Apparently you have nothing but a smart answer reply.
Paco6048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Factory RV antennas typically pick up 25-40 mile range. By using more powerful antenna with 300 mile range, hopefully one could get 75-100 mile radius. Like I said, I was not looking for smart answer but something helpful. Apparently you have nothing but a smart answer reply.
Not sure what type or size antenna you are looking at but most name brand like channel master are good for 75ish miles depending on transmitting tower strength, distance and obstacles as in tree coverage. You can use one but the biggest challenge is getting the antenna over the obstacles. The natural curvature of the earth plays into this as well.
Not wanting to walk down the technical issues but there are some as reference above. You can add a second amplifier between your TV and the wall that will help a little with pixelation and sound loss on a marginal signal. One that is good enough to watch some of the time.
Just our experience when snowbirding in central Florida we where about 55 miles in 3 directions from the broadcast towers. 58 miles was too far period for the wineguard razor on our trailer even with the second amplifier. I tried a cheap walmart antenna pushed in air about 8feet above trailer with no better results. Too much tree cover where we where parked.
We settled on streaming over our internet connection.
YMMV

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Apparently you have nothing but a smart answer reply.
Ok Paco6048, here's a less that "smart" answer for you. Assuming you are placing the super antenna on the roof of your RV, a very good, high quality, VHF/UHF antenna is going to be marginal, at best. With the high quality antenna 12' to 14' high along with a high quality amplifier, signals may still be marginal given the surrounding obstructions and weather conditions between you and the transmitting station(s).

Your best bet would be to elevate the antenna to at least above the tree line in order to receive quality signal within a reasonable distance ( 30 - 50 miles ). Otherwise, a satellite system, with clear site of the sky is your best bet.

Now, to answer your original question ... attaching the TV antenna to your cable input should work just fine if you have a digital ready TV.
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:49 PM   #6

Might have to get a satellite antenna to watch TV,, we did and are very happy ..
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:04 PM   #7
Site Team

The power source for the antenna on your roof comes from the little circuit behind the box where you connect the tv coax. It is 12vdc to the roof antenna.

If you are going to use another external antenna, you will likely have to come with another method of powering it if it is not passive.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable input, no power boost, outside antenna