Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2022, 08:35 AM   #1

TV lift problems

For starters I have a 2018 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS. The manual TV lift in the main living area (behind the fireplace) will not raise the TV more than 8 to 10 inches before stopping. It will not go further even if I try to pull the TV up. In fact when trying to pull it up it feels as if it is heavily spring loaded to the starting position (partially up that is). The lift lever does not return to its flush position ever, it remains at about a 20 degree elevated position no matter what, although I can push it back to flush and it will stay there until I lift it again. It seems "sticky". Any assistance in solving this problem and getting the TV to elevate to its viewing height is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 08:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezer View Post
For starters I have a 2018 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS. The manual TV lift in the main living area (behind the fireplace) will not raise the TV more than 8 to 10 inches before stopping.
The fireplace is quite easy to remove, one screw in each corner IIRC.

Pull the fireplace and start from there... you may find that something fell into the spring when the TV was up. Regardless, with the fireplace removed it should be much easier to see what isn't working like it should.
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:39 AM   #3

Thanks. I had planned to remove the fireplace as it's hard to see what's going on from the top side. Thinking maybe lube will help but it seems to be more of a mechanical issue. Tried all morning to find info on non-electric TV lifts but there's precious little on that subject. Can't even find any manufacturers of such so that I could check out their websites. I think 2018 was the first year Jayco "cheaped-out" and went with this "manual" lift.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:59 AM   #4
Site Team

While you have access check tightness on all bolts/ screws. Nothing worse than seeing a problem and not being able to reach it. I have had a loose bolt and another time a drive pin came loose. Mine is electric.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 12:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks. I had planned to remove the fireplace as it's hard to see what's going on from the top side. Thinking maybe lube will help but it seems to be more of a mechanical issue. Tried all morning to find info on non-electric TV lifts but there's precious little on that subject. Can't even find any manufacturers of such so that I could check out their websites. I think 2018 was the first year Jayco "cheaped-out" and went with this "manual" lift.
I know that my buddy had the manual TV lift on his 2020 North Point, so I know that it exists, lol. It's pretty incredible how little information is available when Googling for a non-motorized TV lift.

His sounded like it was spring loaded, but I'm wondering if it utilized gas struts?

Did you try emailing Jayco service with your VIN# to see just what they used? https://www.jayco.com/contact-towable-service/
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
Old 11-15-2022, 12:36 PM   #6

Just finished checking things out. Fireplace removed easily so I could get to the lift. Everything is pretty much enclosed with steel structure so I couldn't see much of how it operates. I was able to lift the TV from the bottom and noticed a clanking sound. I believe that when lifting I am fighting a spring that counteracts the lifting spring (which is probably loose within the housing). We leave for the winter tomorrow morning so I'll have to get into in greater depth once we are settled in for the winter. I will contact Jayco when I'm ready to tear into again, perhaps they can supply an exploded diagram. Thanks to all...

weezer (retired - yippeeee - engineer)
Wife (Lisa) and 3 great dogs!!!
2018 Ford F350 Lariat diesel 4X4 DRW CC LB with all options and air overloads
2018 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS - loaded with options
Ford (Reese) puck mounted 18k hitch
Old 11-15-2022, 03:15 PM   #7

Decided to go ahead and contact Jayco today re: lift information. Gives me a head start when we get to Tucson (assuming they reply). Thanks again to all.
Old 11-16-2022, 04:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Decided to go ahead and contact Jayco today re: lift information. Gives me a head start when we get to Tucson (assuming they reply). Thanks again to all.
I'm sure they'll reply. Safe travels and let us know how you made out!

If you ran into this issue, you just know that someone else will too.
Old 11-17-2022, 04:42 PM   #9

Got info from Jayco today. Apparently it's all they had available but it was precious little. The main thing was they gave me the manufacturers name. For those interested it was made by the Cass Hudson Company. They also sent what drawings they had available... just of the TV mounting plate (no help there). Got to give Jayco credit though, they came through in a timely manner. I'll update this post with what I learn whenever I have time to tear into it, we're on the road now so it's not a good time to be tearing things apart.

Old 11-18-2022, 08:17 AM   #10

My guess is that one end of the strut or struts has come loose.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 08:37 AM   #11

My thinking too. Unfortunately the cover plate makes it impossible to diagnose, or fix, it without removing the entire mechanism. Thanks for the input...

Old 11-18-2022, 08:48 AM   #12

Quote:
My thinking too. Unfortunately the cover plate makes it impossible to diagnose, or fix, it without removing the entire mechanism. Thanks for the input...
Have you tried accessing it through the window? If it's coming up enough for you to see the mechanism from the back, you may be able to get a peak at it. Unfortunately, the only way to get to the back is through the escape window.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 08:55 AM   #13

No. The top of the TV only comes up to about the bottom of the window. To get it up any higher is possible but pretty tough as you are fughting the pressure from the "down" cylinder. We're on the road right now to our winter spot in Tucson. We'll have to get settled in there before I have the opportunity to check anything out.

Old 11-18-2022, 09:08 AM   #14
Site Team

Please post your findings when you can.

This one is interesting as I have not heard much about the manual tv lifts or for that matter problems with them.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:50 AM   #15

Will do. Might be week or so before I can tackle it though.
Old 11-22-2022, 12:45 PM   #16

UPDATE - Removal process as follows:
1 - Removed fireplace glass and fireplace. Lift glass out and remove (4) fireplace mtg screws. Set both aside.
2 - Raised TV as far as it would go (only 8 to 9").
3 - Removed lower televator mounting screws (4) as high as possible (leaving 2 at top to support TV) working from below.
4 - Removed (4) TV mounting bolts and lowered TV down into cabinet (sitting on floor and leaning forward). Bolts are accessible from the sides with someone holding the TV.
5 - Removed wooden cabinet closure panel (6 screws) from the top of the televator to avoid potential damage to the finish, easily accessible with TV removed.
6 - Removed upper televator mounting screws, accessible from above.
7 - Removed actuator toggle mechanism mounting screws (2) from above and passed mechanism thru it's mounting slot.
8 - Lifted televator out of cabinet for evaluation/repair.
NOTE - Only tools needed are 10mm socket and #2 square drive however each tool should be suitable for working in confined spaces.

FINDINGS - Upper strut was bad. Little to no resistance when extending/collapsing.

SOLUTION - Ordered two ML24-60 gas struts from Amazon. For reference the original strut measured 20" collapsed and 36-1/4" extended with 60 lbs operating pressure. Amazon struts are very slightly different dimensionally (should not be enough to affect televator operation in any way though) with the same pressure rating. I wonder if the original strut's dimensions might have changed due to its failure? As both original struts are identical and as I had to order two from Amazon I'll replace both original struts with the new ones, retaining the original working strut to use on any possible future problems.

SUMMATION - New struts arrive in a week. In the meantime no reassembly is planned. I'll post how everything worked out once the project is completed. Sorry that this post was so long...
Old 11-22-2022, 05:58 PM   #17
Site Team

Nice write-up on your procedure. That may be of great help to someone else with the same situation. Let us know how your strut replacement works out, when you get to it.
(Your post wasn't too long. Not every project is short and simple. Knowledge is power.)

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 06:49 AM   #18

Thanks for the update Weezer. Did you by any chance take pictures of the assembly?
Old 11-23-2022, 02:00 PM   #19

No, I haven't yet. I was thinking of "maybe" taking a couple when I put everything back together. Guess you made up my mind for me... I will. Televator is in the basement for now and the TV is propped up on the cabinet until the new struts arrive so you'll have to wait a week or so.
Old 11-28-2022, 12:28 PM   #20

Oops! Forgot to take a few pictures - sorry! The replacement struts work perfect. I think I may have discovered the reason for the premature failure (I say "premature" because it only lasted 4 years but struts on car lift gates seem to last forever)... they were installed upside-down! Look up gas strut installation and you'll find that every one says "piston (or rod) down" to keep the seal lubed. These were both installed piston up. Dry seal would explain it's loss of pressure. Anyway, sorry I forgot pictures. I guess this ends my input on the subject. I hope this helps someone with the same problem in the future.