Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2016, 05:33 AM   #1

TV mount - what's behind the wall?

Hi guys,

I looked for past threads on this topic before posting and couldn't find the info.

We have a 265RKS Eagle HT and we love it.

In the bedroom, there is a location for mounting a tv bracket. Our concerns are:
- the wall we are installing this into is shared with the bathroom, esp the shower
- we bought a generic tv mount at Costco
- screws are 3 inches long and we'll either puncture the shower wall or worse, a water line!

Is there a recommended TV mount brand/model that is specially designed for RVs? I emailed Jayco to get the specs "behind the wall", are we screwing into a 2x4 or a steel stud?

Thanks in advance
Go Power 120W solar panel
ChantalNRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:36 AM   #2

First, I doubt that there would be a 2x4 in ANY trailer. The walls just aren't that thick and your trailer would weigh twice as much if it was built with 2x4s.

You can tell how thick your wall is by simply looking at the door width into your bathroom. Likely it is a 2x2, or more likely 1.5 or 1.7 inches.

How big is the TV you are mounting? Doubtful that you need 3 inch screws for a TV that is less than 55 or 60 inches, and yours is probably considerably smaller.

There is usually a solid piece of wood in the wall behind the sticker that says "TV mount here". However, you should tap on the wall to see where that piece is really located. On ours, the solid piece of wood was about 3 inches lower than where they had stuck the sticker and if I had drilled at the sticker location, I would have hit hollow wall.

When you tap on the wall and hear the solid sound, you can figure out where the solid mounting piece is located. There will not be any water lines there, so no worries about piercing a water line. Depending upon the width of the metal in your TV mount, use screws that are just slightly shorter than that width plus the width of your wall. Probably a 2 inch screw will work, but be sure to measure. That should provide you with plenty of support. If there are places to use multiple screws, to fasten the mount, go ahead and use more screws.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:02 PM   #3

If I am correct, in my 5er - 29.5 BHDS, there is a 13"x13" 3/4" plywood backer behind the wall

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote