Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2015, 06:55 PM   #1

Tv using over air antenna

So I've been trying to get my tv to work without cable or satelite with no luck. What's the secret? Can't get any signal but I think it's a tv setting, not antenna. Jayco Eagle Lite 2012
Ourfiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:08 PM   #2

Check where your cable connects close to your television (may be in bedroom jack or living room jack) and you should find a small black button (amp button) on the panel. For antenna of course make sure you antenna is up if applicable then make sure the amp is pushed in for on. Some of them may even have a small led showing they are on. Once you have that scan on your tv's for your channels and that your input in antenna.
weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:10 PM   #3

Raise the antenna and make sure your booster is on scan for channels. I always get 5-20 free air stations although i'm not a big tv person lol.

DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:47 PM   #4

You might make sure the TV has been set up for over the air stations. You may have to get into the Set-Up menu.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:26 AM   #5

As stated above, the antenna booster must be on, or TV will show "no signal." Once you find it, set-up is a case of following instructions in the TV menu.

In my 2010 Eagle Lite, the booster is located on the inside wall of the bottom cabinet next to the TV. The SMALL black button is on a plate that should be labeled as the booster. In this location, it is a PITA to switch on and off, and easy to forget. Leaving the booster on while parked/stored without shore power will run down batteries over time, and generally ruin your day.

Chuck
Old 05-07-2015, 01:07 PM   #6

Thanks. I have switched the booster with same signal result. I have heard there may be a "plug and play" option on the tv and I'll look for that. Any other techy thoughts?
Ed
Old 05-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #7

Not to be a nag but make sure you go into the TV settings and scan for channels... otherwise, you're not going to get any/many.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
Not to be a nag but make sure you go into the TV settings and scan for channels... otherwise, you're not going to get any/many.
And while you're into settings, make sure the TV is set to antenna not cable.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:01 PM   #9

Consider adding an HD antenna for reception of digital channels.
Not yet retired, but counting the months to full-timing !
ArmyColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:26 PM   #10

Prior to last month, we (my bride and I) never once turned on the television, but after several days of rain she was missing it; and she just HAD to see the Fat people Race around the world to get off some island - or some such nonsense.

This required some playing around on my part (she's an inept PhD). First it required my choosing between several different antenna hookup options (all unmarked, between roof mounted unit, campground cable or satellite???, plus adding the amplifier switch on/off), plus several television settings: choosing between several input sources, as well as television settings to scan for digital channels; remember - analog channels no longer exist in the good old USA. Note: remember to raise your roof top mounted antenna. BIGGER NOTE: remember to lower same BEFORE departing.

I got lucky and was able to deduce mostly correct options and eventually got her running.

Of course this over the air stuff depends on you being in an area served this way. We picked up about 9 channels in the Bham, AL. outskirts.

She watched her show and I extracted payment.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:41 PM   #11

Another highly unlikely possibility; are you using a modern Digital television? Several months ago my wife's friend donated an unused /unloved analog television (for the bedroom). Without the necessary converter box it is useless. With a converter box it is still near worthless.

Sorry Greenies, it went to the landfill.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #12

Colonel, with respect Sir, but I believe that older antennas, predating this conversion, should still work adequately.

USA, RET 1990.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:11 AM   #13

I can't tell you what you have to do, but I can tell you that we were able to get over-the-air television in our driveway but were unable to get cable on our trip last spring until we went to the bedroom and pushed the little button for the booster, either shutting it off or on, can't remember which.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jal0710 View Post
I can't tell you what you have to do, but I can tell you that we were able to get over-the-air television in our driveway but were unable to get cable on our trip last spring until we went to the bedroom and pushed the little button for the booster, either shutting it off or on, can't remember which.
If you're trying to get a signal OTA, the booster should be ON, if you're getting signal from a cable attached at the park, the booster must be OFF.

Older antennae will work to pick up digital broadcasts, it's the tuners that need to be digital. Most TVs you're going to find come equipped with the appropriate tuner from the factory unless they're really old (like pre-2004?). If that's the case, you need a separate box.

Use antennaweb.org and punch in your location (either address or zip code) to find bearings to aim your antenna. Or you can take a WAG and aim it in the general direction of the nearest largest metropolitan area, or you can spend money to buy a signal finder.

Remember that when you're aiming your antenna, DO NOT use the little arrow on the dial in your trailer, that is for storage purposes, it does not necessarily indicate the direction the antenna is "pointing". If you're using the standard Winegard antenna that most Jaycos are equipped with, that little arrow is 90* off from aiming axis. On my trailer, the original antenna was aimed straight out the curb side when the dial arrows were lined up for storage (90* perpendicular to the long axis of the trailer). My new Jack antenna points the same direction as the arrow though.

Once you have the antenna aimed, and the booster ON, you should be able to use the TV to scan for channels. Go into the channel setup menu and make sure the option for antenna or OTA or AIR is chosen (as opposed to cable or satellite) and initiate the scan. Most likely you'll pick up some digital channels and some analog channels, but the scan could take a few minutes.

If that process doesn't work, something is not hooked up correctly. Check all your coax connections from the antenna down. It's been discovered on the forum before that the factory did a shoddy job connecting cables and users were able to fix them pretty easily.

I hope that helps someone out there!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:51 AM   #15
Site Team

Not meaning to insult your intelligence, but is there even a transmitter in range of your location? A visit to the site below will tell you. All you have to do is enter your location (address and Zip Code). When I do this for my home in Pittsburgh, it provides my with 10 stations, but at my Home Base about 40-50 miles further away (as the crow... er TV signal flies), there's nothing.

AntennaWeb - Home

Digital signals are more "fragile" and have a shorter range that the old analog signals. I get more pixelation just on a windy day than a calm one. The picture deteriorates even more, sometimes with momentary loss of picture, during inclement weather.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #16

Many thanks to all. Turns out there are no signals available according to antennaweb, thanks for the tip there. Finally had to settle on satellite. Nuts, now I have to watch the golf channel! Again, thanks for the help.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:53 AM   #17

Check TV Source

With the TV remote, select Source or Input. When the list comes up, select "air" or "antenna". Once the TV is getting its signal from the antenna, you have to go into settings for the TV (probably Menu > Settings) and have it scan for channels. Once that is done, you should be able to use the remote to switch between channels.
MantyGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:17 PM   #18

2019 Eagle 321 RSTS

We have a Furrion FEFS50K9A 50 inch TV. Can anyone tell me where the antenna booster is? We’re trying to hook up to cable for the first time at a campground and we are in able to because we can’t turn it off. Any help would be much appreciated!
dreopell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:35 PM   #19

I'm not sure if a 2012 model would have had a good antenna for picking up digital signals but they are directional so look to see which direction others have their antenna pointed and point your's in the same direction. The television should have a channel search feature that will identify which channels have a usable signal.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreopell View Post
We have a Furrion FEFS50K9A 50 inch TV. Can anyone tell me where the antenna booster is? We’re trying to hook up to cable for the first time at a campground and we are in able to because we can’t turn it off. Any help would be much appreciated!
Look in the cabinet above your living room TV where the cable connects. There should be a small white button that turns the antenna booster on and off. It looks like a reset button and lights up when the booster is on.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote