Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #1

TV wiring in Eagle Premier 5W

I've been looking into a couple of Eagle Premier models and having Satellite TV is important to us. I just saw a 361REQS on a dealer lot and spent a lot of time looking at the cabinet where the TV and entertainment stuff is. There is a plate with a loop of RG6 between 2 connections that says to leave alone for cable, but remove for Satellite. I'm guessing the top F connector comes from the outside cable/sat connection. Not sure where the bottom one goes, but hopefully it goes through a splitter to the other TV's. I want to take the DirecTV SWM DVR and one of the Genie Clients from home and just wire it up in the RV. I have a tripod and dish I use for tailgating that should work as well. I'd love to see a drawing of how all of the OTA antenna and the cable/sat stuff is wired. My goal is to watch sports while my wife is watching reality TV.

Does Jayco post schematics for the TV wiring anywhere??
jfabernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #2

You can call Jayco tech support and they will email you the schematics. You should be able to run dual sat receivers as we are currently running 4 separate receivers in our 375BHFS.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #3

I called Jayco on this and they e-mailed me the drawing of all the tv cables and splitter.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #4

It's good to know it's available and doable for separate DirecTV receivers. Once I decide on which 5W to buy, I'll get the schematics and hook it up.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrmay25 View Post
You can call Jayco tech support and they will email you the schematics. You should be able to run dual sat receivers as we are currently running 4 separate receivers in our 375BHFS.
How do you hook up for separate receivers? Can you record two different channels at the same time on each of the receivers? Or can you watch one channel while recording another channel?

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #6

A lot of questions. I'll tell you what I know. If we are talking DirecTV with HD service and Local channels, you will need a Slimline dish with a SWM-5 LNB with integrated multi-switch. That way you have a single cable coming into the RV. In the RV you will need a Power inserter and a splitter, then a RG6 cable to each DirecTV receiver at the TV and connect the receiver to the TV via HDMI. The Winegard directions for their SK-SWM3 automatic Slimline SWM antenna is very good at showing the connection. If you use a tripod and Slimline dish, then it pretty much looks the same. See the Satellite Pro portable kits for more information (http://www.satpro.tv/) If you use one of those small portable automatic antennas it will only allow both TVs to receive programs from the same satellite at the same time for HD.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #7

djalbrec,

I'm not sure on the specifics of how it's all set-up as I had Dish do the install for us. I do know we have a 5LNB dish with 1 coax wire hooked directly into the camper's coax plug, and they pulled a separate coax wire along the campers frame and into our main cargo bay. On our 375BHFS, I installed a 40" LED in the main cargo bay that is on it's own receiver, but it shares a signal with the 32" in our outdoor kitchen, then inside, we have separate receivers in both bedrooms and on the main living room TV. We can't record because my monthly bill was already pushing $90.00 and I didn't want to spend the extra $$ for the Hopper. I'm sure someone in here can explain how Dish set it all up, but all I know is it works like it's suppose to and they didn't have to cut any existing coax wires in the process.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #8

Thanks for the information. I am working with DirecTV, but the thing I wanted to know was whether or not they ran a separate wire for that bedroom. I had my dealer install a second coax connection on the outside of the camper and then run a wire directly from that to the receiver inside so that I can record on one channel and watch another channel at the same time. I use the Winegard carry out portable antenna with dual outlets. I don't have HD. I simply run a coax from each of the two outlets on the portable antenna to the coax connectors on the side of the camper and now I am able to watch one channel while I am recording one another.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #9

What makes the DirecTV confusing is that fact that they originally had a Slimline oval dish with 4 coaxial wires comes out to the 4 receivers in your house. 2 wires to a DVR, so you could only have 2 DVRs or some combination (there are ways to increase the number of TVs, but a topic not needed for this discussion). Now they use SWM, Single Wire Multiplex. That brings only one wire from the dish LNB so you could use the outside cable/sat connection on the RV to the central wiring cabinet wherever that is. If that location is near the main TV, then you just put the receiver, Power inserter, and splitter right there. You just need a coaxial cable from that splitter to the other receiver in the other room.

There is also a lot of confusion generated by the many odd combinations of wiring a old 4 wire LNB to a multiswitch that is SWM system. That is why my house wiring is so confusing. Once I read the instructions from the Satellite Pro website on their portable dish systems for DirecTV SWM, either Slimline 3 or 5, it became a lot clearer. I've copied their written instructions below, but I'd go to their website so you can look at all the pieces.

How to set it up for 1 receiver step by step.

Set up your Tripod and center mast.
Aline the tripod with the level. (Mast must be perfectly level)
Build your Satellite Dish and install the Dish on the Tripod.
Adjust the satellite dish to the required compass heading and elevation. (Info provided on your satellite receiver under installation)
With your 50 ft cable, Connect one end to the Satellite dish and the other end to the Power supply.
From power supply, connect small cable to your receiver.
Turn ON the Receiver, go to the setup and alight the satellite dish.
Once the strongest signal is acquired, you will be ready to watch TV

How to set it up for up to 4 receiver step by step.

Set up your Tripod and center mast.
Aline the tripod with the level. (Mast must be perfectly level)
Build your Satellite Dish and install the Dish on the Tripod.
Adjust the satellite dish to the required compass heading and elevation. (Info provided on your satellite receiver under installation)
With the small jumper cable, connect one end to the satellite dish and the other end to the 4 way splitrer, (use the one port on the splitter)
With your 50 ft cable, Connect one end to the RED port on the 4 way splitter to your power supply.
On the power suply connect the 50 ft cable to the (power to SWM) side
From power supply (Signal to IRD), connect small cable to your receiver.
Turn ON the Receiver, go to the setup and alight the satellite dish.
Once the strongest signal is acquired, you will be ready to watch TV
To add another receiver, just add another cable to any of the remaining ports of the 4 way spitter to the new receiver, NO NEED to have another power supply.