Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2019, 09:43 AM   #1

Unmounting Reese Revolution Pinbox

My revolution (2017 Eagle HT 30.5MBOK) is making some horrendous popping noises that I haven't been able to mitigate by greasing it while attached. So I simply want to drop the pinbox and do the annual maintenance Reese recommends, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to get it off.

There are four bolts holding it onto the trailer. The two in back have nuts and are easily accessible. The problem is the two up front... the back sides are completely inaccessible (can't see or reach them) and I can't tell if they have nuts screwed on or not. It looks as if the holes themselves might be threaded, which might mean no nuts are screwed on in back and that would be easy to remove and replace. If there are nuts, then I don't even see how to get the bolts off or back on.

My dealer just went out of business, so they are no help. I have searched the Google to no avail. Reese told me that Jayco is responsible for how it attaches. And the best Jayco can do is tell me that there are "probably" nuts screwed on and I should take it to a dealer, but it's probably not covered since it is maintenance.

Any help appreciated.
Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:27 AM   #2

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pinbox.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	51881

Here's a photo if it works... my question is whether this bolt I'm pointing to has a nut screwed on behind it (where it's totally inaccessible). Has anybody ever dropped their pinbox for the "annual" maintenance?
Old 07-25-2019, 07:18 PM   #3

I thought there was a thread on here somewhere about that.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:41 PM   #4

I just went and looked at my trailer. I can pretty much guarantee the front hole is threaded. The holes just behind are threaded. I am probably going to add additional bolts to these holes. Just for a little added strength.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:41 AM   #5

Sidebar;

How sure it isn't coming from your slider in the truck?

We went from a 15k slider to a 20k after wearing out the 15k and the majority of the popping went away.

We use the MORyder pin box. From the manual:

"Verify that the pin box is securely attached to the 5th wheel. If the king pin is excessively worn, the skid pad will need to be replaced. Hitch mechanisms can also cause noise. Verify that unwanted noise is not coming from the hitch. Your hitch manufacturer can provide guidelines for this check".

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:30 AM   #6

I don’t have a slider, and I can definitely hear that it’s coming from where the Revolution pivots on the trailer. I have a feeling it was never properly greased when assembled, as that seems common from others posts.

I do see that the holes immediately behind the front two bolts are threaded as you are saying, Skohyle. So that leads me to believe the front holes are threaded because there’s no access to get to a nut behind them.

I did poke around a little more in old threads here and saw that somebody undid there’s by leaving all the bolts in and just dropping it by unscrewing the castle nut underneath. So I may try that as well... just seems like it might be harder to reassemble that way.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:47 AM   #7

Wire, In May this year, I removed mine and did the maintenance. Mine has 6 bolts holding it on the camper. 2 on each side near each other and at the front of the pin box and 1 one each side near the rear of the pin box. The nuts are welded to the pin box, thus one does not have to have access to them. You will need the assistance of a few friends to remove it. It is not all that heavy, just cumbersome. I posted a thread on here. The most difficult task I found was separating the upper part from the lower part. Once separated, pack the bearing and assemble. Then get the friends to hold it in place and bolt it up.
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:48 AM   #8

Sorry for the mistake.

How old is the hitch in the truck?

Do you use a Teflon wear pad?

Do you grease the jaws of the hitch?

I did not mean a slider, rather I meant the locking jaws in your slide pad, in the bed of your truck.

Just trying to help.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:45 AM   #9

Everything is less than 2 years old. Yes, I do grease the jaws but not surface of the fifth wheel hitch because there’s no movement there with the revolution. I’m towing today, so I’ll regressed it all and see how it goes until I can take it off.

Shorty Cox , I think that’s what I’m going to do when I get a chance. Sounds like I don’t need to worry about a nut coming loose off those front holes.

Thank you all for responding!