Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2018, 06:48 AM   #1

Up Coming June Cross Country Trip

All

I am planning a 2 week cross country trip in June. I am traveling from Cincinnati, OH to Rapid City, SD to West Yellowstone, MT and Return to Cincinnati. We are planning to tow about 500 / 600 miles a day stopping in Iowa on the way out over night . 4 Days in Rapid City, Then to MT for 3 Days and finally 3 days to return home.

Last July we went to Disney Ft. Wilderness for a week which was about 1000 miles each way with no problems except for Atlanta traffic. This trip how ever is going to be approaching 4000 miles. Is there anything I need to plan for?

I have a 2016 RAM, Cummins, Crew Cab, DRW, 373 Gears. My truck is factory stock. 5th Wheel is 2017 355 MBQS. Over the course of the next couple months I am going to service the wheel bearings & brakes and replace the tires on 5th wheel. I already am using a TPMS. Dually will be getting 6 new Michelins.

Anyone got any suggestions on things I need to look out for? I am trying to get everything ready over the course of the next 6 month that way it is not so painful when I have to pay for it.

Thanks

Angelo
A.Cassaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:19 AM   #2

HD wet bolt kit, preferably Morryde. Ponder disk brake conversation.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
HD wet bolt kit, preferably Morryde. Ponder disk brake conversation.

Earl
Forgive my ignorance but what is a wet bolt kit and I have considered disc brakes does it make that big a difference?

Angelo
A.Cassaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:22 AM   #4

A wet bolt kit converts your dry suspension bolts and plastic bushings to wet (greaseable) bolts and bronze bushings. Mine were bad under 5,000 miles. The plastic bushings fail and allow metal on metal wear. The link plates will wear and tear out. The wet bolt kit has 1/2" link plates where oem is 1/4". Common failures. The wet bolt kit also makes your suspension quieter. Gets rid of the creaking and poping.

Disc brakes? I can't fully answer that as I haven't install my kit yet. But all the months of research, I never came across anyone that regretted it. They all said night and day difference. A lot said they'd never own a trailer with electric brakes after. I'm hoping to get my disc brake kit install this year yet. I went with Kodiak disc kits and Hydrastar actuator.

Another item I recommend to everyone is replace the china bearings and seals with Timkin US made bearings and races and a high quality not china double lip spring loaded seals.

Earl
Line-X premium
Old 09-24-2018, 05:01 PM   #5

The last timkin bearings I bought had made in china on the box. Do they sell two different kinds?
camjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by camjam View Post
The last timkin bearings I bought had made in china on the box. Do they sell two different kinds?
I just received bearings to do my trailer two weeks ago. All Timkin and all US made. Sure the box wasn't from China? The bearing and races are marked. Mine were all marked US. Didn't look at the boxes.

Earl
Old 09-24-2018, 05:35 PM   #7

Not sure about just the box being made in china. When I pointed it out to the owner of the auto parts store he was as surprised as I was.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:39 PM   #8

Check the actual parts to see what they are marked.

Earl
Line-X premium
Old 09-25-2018, 03:32 PM   #9

Was a while back. Bearings already installed and are holding up well.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:51 PM   #10

Last summer I made 5600 mile loop out west from Tennessee. We were out 8 weeks. I recommend stopping at Badlands N.P. in South Dakota. We camped in Custer State Park just outside Rapid City, S.D. for our base camp to sight see from. From Custer we saw Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, Wind Cave N.P., Jewel Cave N.P. , and Custer State Park is pretty awesome also. Iron Mountain Road goes from in the park to Rushmore, Needles Hwy (needles tunnel 8'4" wide my dually barely fits) goes to Sylvan Lake which is really beautiful and the rock formation on Needles Hwy are unbelievable. Custer Park has a Bison Herd and an Elk herd. We stayed in Game Lodge Campground. (you need reservations there by Jan 1st or earlier. We spent a couple nights in Onawa, Iowa at On-Ur-Way RV park very clean and $30.00 for full hookup. You can also stay at Lewis & Clark S.P. (they're a couple miles apart) it also a nice park but not as nice. We stayed at Buffalo Crossing RV park in West Yellowstone. While in West Yellowstone be sure to visit the Grizzly / Wolf Discovery Center I loved it and the boys liked even more. I would advise going north of Yellowstone and circling down to West Yellowstone. Towing thru the park is kind of a pain, with that said I did tow from West Yellowstone through the park down the Jackson Hole and that is pretty easy. Coming thru the north entrance at Gardiner, Mo. is really tough unless they have all the construction finished from Mammoth Hot Springs down to the center of Yellowstone. I've been to Yellowstone 3 times spent a total of 19 days in the park and still have not seen every thing to see (but most of it). If this is your first trip I guarantee you will return.
I pulled my old camper a 2010 Eagle Super Lite 30.5 DBSA and the only issue I had was a failed fresh water pump. I always carry a spare so it was a 45 min repair while camped at West Yellowstone. Before I left home I pulled the hubs, replaced the brakes, washed out bearing and greased, checked all the tire pressures (check pressures every time I pull) (my tires were less than 1 year old). If you don't have an aux fuel tank I highly recommend it, saves a lot of time and money. I wish you the best and have a great time, would be nice if you had more time.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote