Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #1
PMC

Upcoming Purchase, Pinnacle VS North Point

We're looking at moving from our travel trailer (15 27DSRL) to a 5er and are getting close to either ordering or buying from stock.

The two that are currently in play are the Pinnacle 36KPTS and the North Point 315RLTS, both would be 2018 models.

The NP is a couple feet shorter which I like but besides the Pinnacle being a bit nicer on the inside are there any huge differences between the two that I'm not aware of?
It looks like the price difference will be in the 10k range and for that I get a rear cap, 4100 suspension vs 3000, nicer bathroom counters, a bigger entry door and it's 6 inches wider. I do like the double pull shades in the Pinnacle also.

Am I missing anything? Same slides etc?
If the Pinnacle is worth 10k I'm okay spending the extra to get the better unit if it's really better as this will be the unit we keep until the wife retires in 8-9 years.

Cheers!
Pete
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:35 AM   #2

PMC, loaded question. I went from a TT to an Eagle 5W to the Premium Eagle 5W to the Pinnacle all Jayco. I can say unequivocal that the amenities were will worth the extra $$. This is of course a personal opinion. I will never purchase another 5W less than a Pinnacle level. The fit and finish are the most eye appealing of the sort. Again, personal opinion. Either the NP or the Pinnacle will be a good choice. Remember, all RV's off the line will have some issue's. Do a good PDI and go from there. Good Luck. Skidawg
Skidawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #3

I've had a 2012 Eagle 351 RLTS and now a 2016 Pinnacle 36 REQS. The Pinnacle with the wide body at 102" is noticeable what that 6" brings. The wood work is nicer in the Pinnacle.
Granted we've had a few more issues with our Pinnacle than the Eagle, but I just like the feel of the Pinnacle more than I did the Eagle of the 2016 year. I want to say that our 2012 Eagle was a wide body as well as they weren't making the Pinnacle that year only the Designer Series.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:33 PM   #4

Don't know if it's all Pinnacle models, but when comparing the North Point 377RLBH against the Pinnacle 37MDQS, the Pinnacle is 6" wider. Another key feature is the MCD day night shades with are pretty expensive.
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:06 PM   #5
PMC

Thanks everyone!

Great feedback, it all helps. My wife is really keen to do a Pinnacle so this all points to her getting the trailer she wants.

Worst part will be we're just getting into winter so there is very little chance of using it before late April at the soonest.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:33 PM   #6

I recently purchased a Pinnacle, the other feature that I liked that is not mentioned is the solid cap on the rear and front. All part of the fit and finish, for me it was worth the additional cost between the North Point and the Pinnacle.
FsuBrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:13 AM   #7

We love our Pinnacle we had a Designer before. The Pinnacle has way more and whistles. It is more like a house then a camper.
albirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:22 PM   #8

Hi PMC, We purchased the Pinnacle KPTS in June and have been well pleased with it. Our choice for the KPTS was that it has more storage in the kitchen area as well as a larger kitchen due the fact that we have started full timing. As others have said you will has some problems but nothing catastrophic. The pinnacle is a well built 5ver and pulls well. What ever your decision I'm sure you will be pleased. Happy Camping and welcome to the Jayco Forum.

2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Dually 6.7L HO Turbo Diesel with Aisin Tranny
50 Gal. Transfer Flow Auxiliary Tank
2014 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins (Sold)
2017 Pinnacle 36KPTS
Wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:43 AM   #9

It was hard for us to decide between the "P" or the "NP". We finally decided on the "NP" for the following reasons.

1- Added slide with larger bathroom and dual sinks
2- Appliance slide opposite of the entry door. This put the recliner(s) inline with looking to see who's out there.
3- Out side has fridge w/burner and cargo area has TV.
4- Didn't like the rear cap look.
5- Tank-less water heater (you either like or you don't)

It really came down to personal preferences. The "P" had a more luxury look and a tanked water heater.

P.S. The final decision was in the salesmen. A missed quoted price, wrote it on the brochure and we made corporate honor it.

Good luck in your decision. Were still very happy with ours.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:52 AM   #10
PMC

Looks like the dealer will have the 36KPTS in the next week so we'll be heading down to check it out. We're also bringing the 27DSRL and leaving it so we're getting close.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:52 PM   #11

The wife and I purchased the 2018 315RLTS a few months ago and have been living in it since our purchase. We are very happy with the quality and amenities that it offers. I work on the road and travel quite a bit. The ride quality is excellent and we do not have any complaints yet other than the typical quick fixes that come with any trailer.
JIlleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #12

We owned a 2016 North Point 311RKTS which we purchased in 2015. It was problems from the time we drove off the lot. Primary problem was the large Schwintek slide with the sofa and residential refrigerator. Despite numerous visits to the dealer, it would never work correctly. After resetting, it would hang up again after 3 or 4 times. There was an opening somewhere underneath which allowed a squirrel to take up residence in our ceiling for a while. Finally we decided we just weren't happy with the layout. We traded it for a 2017 Pinnacle 38FLSA and have been happy so far. Unfortunately it's 4' longer so we have eliminated a few more campgrounds where we might stay. I'm much happier with the fit and finish. We still have Schwintek slides, but they are all smaller and so far have not had any issues.

Jim
Old 11-12-2017, 07:55 AM   #13

Mtdawg, the interesting fact is that your '16 Northpoint and your '17 Pinnacle came off the exact same assembly line at Jayco. It's just further evidence that the quality can vary greatly with RV's. These things are not sold to the public with the same quality as cars/trucks coming off assembly lines. I sometimes think an "RV Technician" course should be part of every RV purchase.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:57 PM   #14
PMC

Well the deed is done. We ended up signing the papers on a 36KTPS this afternoon. PDI/Delivery should be in the next week or two as it was from stock as they just had 3 delivered in the last week. Got everything we wanted and nothing we didn't so win-win.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:18 PM   #15

Congrats on the new rig!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:48 PM   #16

Awsome! Congratulations

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote