Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2021, 08:05 PM   #1

Upgrading Fresh water pump

We have a 2021 Pinnacle with the 5 gallon fresh water system. Considering upgrading the pump to something with a little more flow (need to fill the coffee pot quicker). Has anyone done this without overpowering the plumbing or the ice maker in the 4 door whirlpool fridge? If so, what pump did you use, how much higher capacity, and where did you get it? Really appreciate any guidance.
Thanks
Bill
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 01:55 AM   #2

Check out the Shurflo website for RV pump applications. They have a comprison chart that includes GPM. Also, you might check for any other restriction in the line. How does the flow compare with city pressure and other faucets?
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 05:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstannard View Post
We have a 2021 Pinnacle with the 5 gallon fresh water system. Considering upgrading the pump to something with a little more flow (need to fill the coffee pot quicker). Has anyone done this without overpowering the plumbing or the ice maker in the 4 door whirlpool fridge? If so, what pump did you use, how much higher capacity, and where did you get it? Really appreciate any guidance.
Thanks
Bill
Greetings from a fellow impatient morning coffee guy.

I don't think that you'll realize much gain by replacing the pump, due to the limitations of the 1/4" tubing supplying the tap.

DW and I just carry a few 1 gallon jugs of water for filling the coffee maker. We do have to, on occasion, resort to the plumbed water and while it's not really that long, it does seem to take forever doesn't it?
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 05:43 AM   #4

We have the small drinking water pump mounted in the kitchen island. Annoyingly noisy and also slow. It recently quit working, took a panel off under the sink and discovered that jayco runs that 12v pump off of a 110v plug in transformer. It came unplugged during travel. So, that really adds meaning to dry camping. No plug in = NO drinking water. Evidently running 12v wires to the island cost too much.
I don't know the psi of the origial pump offhand. Not sure if the fridge icemaker would like higher pressure, I think the ice fill is timed and it may possibly overfill. I fill my coffepot the night before, that noisy pump would wake the Ms and possibly any close neighbors! Since we don't use our icemaker we think that drinking water system is more bother than what it's worth and will just use a 2.5 gallon jug with spout from the store.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 05:52 AM   #5

I'm interested in the same thing and had problems finding Shurflo information. Try the link below and use the 'Live Chat' so they can match anyone's lowest price (including shipping) too.
https://www.camperid.com/shurflo/pumps/
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:06 AM   #6

Shurflo

https://www.pentair.com/en-us/produc...al=Residential

Maybe this will help. Although if your delivery is 1/4" it's its own restriction.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:26 AM   #7

We have the same system in our '21 Pinnacle. It works well, not an issue with the coffeemaker as we use a Keurig single cup machine and my wife does bring a gallon jug for refills as needed. I don't see where it is so "noisy". Pump runs only when you use the drinking faucet, or the icemaker in our refrigerator. We have a larger similar system at home, and I think it is louder. neither is obnoxious or long lasting. it removed the need for fancy water filtering systems in my opinion, so the house filter I figure I can change every season.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:32 AM   #8

We have a reverse osmosis faucet at home so we're used to the slow flow. It would be hard to find a nosier pump though. I wonder how the design meeting went when they decided to power the pump with a wall wart instead of running 12 volts.
landmark573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:04 AM   #9

Do a search, someone posted mod for this, maybe 1.5-2 years ago. As I recall they changed the bottle location in the cargo hold (easier access), and installed the pump above the bottle. Don't recall if they changed the plumbing size at all.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 10:35 AM   #10

My 2017 Greyhawk has 1/2" tubing. I know this because I yanked the original on-demand water heater and put in a tank model. Maybe I am just lucky.

Since my pump just failed yesterday while I am camping, I would love to put in something with a little more flow. The current one is rated at 3 gal/minute.

My initial search didn't reveal anything that jumped out at me. Will continue the quest and monitor this thread.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 10:57 AM   #11

Here are some Shurflo pumps. My current 3.0 gal/min one is 4008-101-A65. There is a 4.0 gal/min 4048-153-A75. The higher flow pulls 10 amps compared to 7.5 amps for the 3.0 one. May be a consideration.

Amazon is a one stop shopping that I use a WHOLE bunch.
Attached Thumbnails
Pump1.JPG   Pump2.JPG   Pump3.JPG   Pump4.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 05:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
My 2017 Greyhawk has 1/2" tubing. I know this because I yanked the original on-demand water heater and put in a tank model. Maybe I am just lucky.

Since my pump just failed yesterday while I am camping, I would love to put in something with a little more flow. The current one is rated at 3 gal/minute.

My initial search didn't reveal anything that jumped out at me. Will continue the quest and monitor this thread.

OP was referring to the DRINKING water system pump, that is used on some rv's, not the rv's whole water system pump.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 02:33 PM   #13

We use a Zero water picture for use in our coffee maker and drinking water.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:38 PM   #14

Remove aerator/restrictor in faucet tip, and try again; strongly suspect PUMP has plenty of flow? They are usually 1.2, 1.5, or 1.8-gpm
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote